Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which cruisy runs are a must do on the ski welt and best places to eat

Poster: A snowHead
well we finally booked for Ellmau so are going to skiwelt at the end of the month. We are cruisy skiers and like to stick to blues and really easy reds. can anyone tel me are there any reds that we should avoid that are particualry steep. Also which are the best, longest cruising runs. can anyone recommend places to eat slope side where is good for say pizza and chips or burgers etc, so more fast food than fine cuisine.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
111 in Westendorf is one of my favourite pistes around. Stop at the 'Alte Mittel Station' on the main run down (110?) for food, grab a noodle soup or tiroler grostl or somehting, cheap, quick and still traditional.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks clarky Ill give that a try. when we are abroad we are definitley brits abroad and its really chips and burgers wins hands down. hubby is the only one who might remotely try traditional food lol
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you make it over to Westendorf (which I would highly recommend), I would avoid the red 11 from Choralpe down to Brixen. It's pretty steep, straight down & can get icy. Just go down in the bubble. I'd agree 111 is nice. Also liked the reds down to Hopfgarten and to Itter. Nice & cruisy & I don't think too steep.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are also in the skiwelt at the end of January. Staying in Westendorf so thanks for the tips for runs and restuarants there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
polo99, you'll get a cheese and ham toastie and chips there if that helps? Probably do a pizza too. Hard to go wrong with schnitzel and chips too, just fried meat (turkey, pork or veal) in breadcrumbs.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cathy, thats a great tip about westendorf, thank you cathy and we will try the run to itter, conditions permitting. just hope the snow keeps up.

clarky999, that sounds just up our street lol. are the prices pretty reasonable?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
polo99, yep, it's a small bar run by a local, Georg, who's a really nice guy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999, Im gonna take note of all these handy tips and plan my daily routes. My husband and kids go mad coz I am the one that stops and likes to follow a well planned route so I have the map out every 5 mins lol. they just like to head off and see where it takes them! maybe its a woman thing!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The blue run down under/alongside the chair (lift 3) out of Hochbrixen is a nice cruisy one.

This is a photo of part of that run, taken from the restaurant to the side of it soon after the two blue pistes join.

I also like the red run down to lift 7 a lot, and find it easy and nice to cruise.

The red down from the Brandstadtl to Lift 99 is also an easy one - it isn't steep, but near the bottom is quite narrow with an odd camber. I'm sure I remember that one being blue on a previous visit, but it was marked red last year.

As for steep reds - the one down from the top of the Hohe Salve to the Rigi restaurant is pretty steep. The final pitch down the front of the Astberg in Going is also steep, but quite short, and the rest of that run above there I found very enjoyable.

I may well come over to the Skiwelt at the end of my week in Niederau (26th Jan - 2nd Feb), as I believe my hotel (along with another one) runs a free bus to Hopfgarten on Thursdays and Fridays.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 11-01-13 23:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks for that Alex. that is a stunning photo and definitley worthy of a stop at that restaurant just for the views alone!. I have been to Niederau a few years ago. we did red 23 quite a lot but tended to avoid going right to the bottom because of the really steep section nearer the bottom. Not sure if the kids would be able to manage that. You know the section I am on about?. Some great tips thank you. I went to the skiwelt 20 odd years ago twice but to be honest, have little to no memory of it at all. all I can remember is skiing down a dead end run and getting stuck at the bottom because the lifts went off because it was closing time and we had to hike back up to the main run with our skis over our shoulders. I remember crying at one point thinking I ws going to die (I was 18 so entitled to dramatics lol). The other thing I have a fond memory of is we stayed in Soll and I remember we went on an organised tabogganing night. We were taken up the mountain on the back of a piste basher which had a trailer attached and when we got to the top we stopped for gluweign and then sledged all the way to the bottom through a lovely scenic route. can you still do that?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tobogganing us still available in Soll, as is Night Skiing . Great skiing from Ellmau via Sheffau to Soll. Fabulous skiing throughout & plenty of options to eat & drink well both in the mountains & in Ellmau itself. Enjoy Little Angel
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
another vote for red 7. never found it busy and it was a real favourite. also 71 and if the snow is good to valley level, then the run down to scheffau is good cruising. the home runs from hartkaiser to ellmau are good tree skiing if the weather closes in. good stuff above hopfgarten too.

we used to ski from scheffau as a base (lived in munich and skiwelt was one of our fave day trips), so would usually lunch on brandstadl.

from ellmau, a comfortable day trip is to circle hohe salve clockwise (don't think it can be done anti-clockwise?). don't go to the top unless you want a bit of a challenge! does that rattly single chairlift still run to the top?! it does require some planning and can get a bit busy through eiberg, zinsberg, hochbrixen section but there are lots of good lifts, so just enjoy the cruise.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great thread, and it looks like I will be around fellow Snowheads in late Jan / Early Feb in SkiWelt.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
polo99, have fun in Ellmau, don't forget a trip report!
snow report
pam w, i definitely will Pam!
Scarletgirl, Im definitely taking the kids toboganning! they will love it.
grazzenger, i didnt know there was a clockwise / anti clockwise to it. and if there is a single chair, i need to know where so i can avoid like the plague lol
Matthew.lewis2, yes matthew, hope you have a great triip with your family
Im writing all these runs down to make sure I know where to go. I am usually the one annoying my husband by constantly having the piste map out and studying it for 10 mins while he just wants to ski whereever it takes us!
snow report
polo99, you'll be glad to hear that the single chair lift in Soll has been replaced by a very efficient gondola. On a clear day it's great to go up there for a drink or lunch & a look around the stunning views - even if you don't fancy skiing back down (choice of very steep red or black). Smile route round the Hole Salve is also very possible in a day - we started from Soll & could go either way though as grazzenger says, does need a bit of planning. From Ellmau you'll go to Scheffau & make your choice from there. Great Tiroler Grostle (with an egg on top!) in Brandstadl.
latest report
polo99 wrote:
when we are abroad we are definitley brits abroad and its really chips and burgers wins hands down.

You'll see chips on the menu as 'pommes' - pronounced 'pommers'.
There will also be various types of German sausage - 'wurst'. 'Wurst mit pommes' - big plate of chips with sausage, normally pretty cheap.
Tiroler Grostl is another popular cheap dish - you should try it. Diced potato fried with onion & pork with a fried egg on top - yum.
Another good option for lunch is soup - 'suppe'. 'Gulashsuppe' (may be spelt differently) is a good hearty soup with meat & veg in. 'Brot' is bread. 'Gulashsuppe mit brot' - yum again!
ski holidays
Grezt thread. Made a note of these runs. 2nd of feb for our ellmau trip
latest report
We were in Ellmau last year and found that on the home run back under the Hartkaizer it was better taking the red than the blue as it was quieter and had less people going on it. There isn't a lot in it for steepness between the two. Run 3 into Brixen can be a bit littered with people if there is loose snow around. In general I wouldn't bother doing the last section into the valley from middle stations unless you are the sort who likes to mark off every run as even in cold weather the snow can be patchy.
snow conditions
The red from Hochsoell down to the valley is great around mid morning. Late in the afternoon it's a nightmare though, it's often pretty cut up and full of snowploughing beginners who think that they have to do the home run no matter what. Also another vote for red 7. It's absolutely lovely, particularly first thing in the morning.
snow conditions
One more vote for 111 at Westendorf. Due to the weird layout of Westendorf, to get from the top of the westendorf gondola to the brixen gondola (about 400 yards) you have to go down this run to the bottom of the mountain and back up unless you like trudging uphill, so it is a good job it is so much fun. If you go early in the day the long run down from westendorf to the new Ki West gondola is brilliant but it gets warm and cut up quite early. Also lifts 5 and 6 at Hochbrixen have a load of cruisy options with a good lunch stop halfway down
snow conditions
There are some beautiful, super wide, pistes in the Sheffau/Ellmau area. It's been a few years since I was last there so can't remember exactly but there's plenty of easy piste to keep you happy Smile The piste that comes through the trees (blue 2a/blue 3?) down to the Hochbrixen gondola is lovely, especially when the sun is out and the restaurant at the bottom of that run, labelled 1 on the piste map, does some yummy hot chocolate too.
ski holidays
I love the run down to Itter in good snow - not a particularly popular resort so it is not overskied.

Didn't try this season but a previous season the Bavaria - cannot remember if it is on the Scheffau or Soll run - tucked away on the LHS had excellent pizza - the pizzas in most places are excellent as the Italian influence is so strong and they are often hand stretched dough etc. Memory lapses are around today - had excellent and very reasonably priced lunch in a hut off the main run back to the top of the Brixen gondola from Scheffau direction just where the piste splits to go down the red to Brixen.
snow report
On the food topic, I fully endorse Gulaschsuppe. And Tirolergröstl.
And also worth a try are:
Germknödel (like a doughnut/ dumpling with plum sauce in the middle - a dessert, eaten with Vanillasauce - custard)
Kaiserschmarr'n (also a dessert, sometimes with apple sauce - Apfelmuss - sometimes with plum sauce - Pflaumenmuss) it's like a sweet omelette with raisins and icing sugar
Bernerwurst'l is a sausage wrapped in cheese which in turn is wrapped in bacon (think 'pigs in blankets')

Any others?
ski holidays
Currywurst!!

Kaiserschmarrn is cut up pancake, it should be with apple sauce but they like to mix it up. Totally yummy.
snow conditions
thanks to all for taking the time to reply. I am just noting down all the great places you have mentioned and also the ones to avoid. On my surfing I came across a great interactive piste map which will be handy (if i can get wifi in my apartment) to plan the next days route. http://skimap.skiwelt.at/
am i right in saying that if we ski the blue 1c down into hopfgarten, there doesnt look like any ski lift to bring us back up?
ski holidays
I think trail 1c takes you down to Brixen, not Hopfgarten. It connects with a regular ski bus which takes you to the main lifts in Brixen (No 1 bach towards Söll and another No? towards Westendorf).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
polo99, ^^ +1 Piste 1C Tanzer Abfahrt Dancer descent) takes to to just outside of Brixen on the Kirchberg side. From here a shuttle bus runs you back to the Brixen Gondelbahn (Gondelbahn Hochbrixen). The nicer run is the red 1B (Brixen Abfahrt), which done early enough in the day is not too busy and it sets you up to return to Hochbrixen using the Gondelbahn Hochbrixen. Alternatively for some lovely quiet runs, you can cross the road and take lift 11 (the 8 seater SkiWeltbahn) which takes you across and up the Choralpe and opens up some really fun skiing above Westendorf.
snow report
No 40 from the soll midstation back down to the bottom is a really fun blue.........i know folk will say otherwise but its nowhere near as busy as 40a i.e the red and so doesnt get cut up, its nice and narrow in places and has some great hairpin bends on it to rail round.......oh and half way down on the left just as the trees open up to the valley below there is a cracking wee bar with a terrace and view right along the valley
snow conditions
96a was another cracking run, from the top station of the ellmau not hugely long but really really wide for nice big carving turns
latest report
well Ive compiled my list from all your helpful tips so I will let you know how I get on when I get back. Off on Saturday morning at stupid o clock so I am hoping that the bad snow forecast for the north east doesnt effect our travel.
thanks again everyone
latest report
http://skimap.skiwelt.at/ has to be the coolest ski map going. Just spent half an hour looking at the different runs and mountain huts. However, what is the igloo thing heading towards brixen. Is it an igloo/ice bar? Cant find any info on it online. Hope its a bar. I love odd things like that. Cannot wait now. Just wish I could take that niteractive map out on the slopes instead of the paper one! NehNeh
ski holidays
Jon Ford, It is an igloo village where you can stay overnight if you want to. Bar is open as well, both in the igloo and also an outside one.
snow report
polo99, I was in Ski Welt the week before last. I would highly recommend Blue 61 and Red 60 from Brandstadl down to Scheffau. There is a short black at the top which you can avoid by going a slightly longer way round on the blue. Also if the snow conditions aren't great you can just ski down to mid station and take the gondola back up.
Have fun Smile
snow conditions
thanks Samerberg Sue, will take a look. Will have to visit the Igloo bar.
snow report
Sorry to ask another question, just looking at the map and between soll and ellmau there is a "skimovie highlight" icon yet it doesnt give any info on it, It looks like it is on a black run. Anyone able to advise if its a black and what the ski movie down. Does it film you going down the run? thanks
snow report
Also (sorry) I take it you can ski from ellmau to Westendorf and back in 1 day. All the reports say "try and get over soll (if staying in ellmau) etc. I was hoping to be in soll most days and trying to do loads of runs. But also want to venture into Westendorf. We are usually on the first lift of the day and ski till 4ish, so we are about all day. The map looks connected so Im sure it can be done, just making sure we would have enough time. It owuld prob be a 1 off and we focus just on getting to westendorf, do a few runs there/film the jump park and make our way back to ellmau. Just been looking at the skibus timetables. I take it there are no buses that go from Ellmau straight to other resorts (ie drop off in soll then westendorf?)
ski holidays
Jon Ford, you can ski to/from Westendorf in under an hour.
ski holidays
thanks Clarky
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy