Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going Duck

have you gone duck?
never tried it, never will
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
tried it, didn't like it
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
tried it and am converted
25%
 25%  [ 6 ]
not tried it, but I'll give it a go at some point
29%
 29%  [ 7 ]
quack!!
37%
 37%  [ 9 ]
Voted : 27
Total Votes : 24

Poster: A snowHead
I posted this comment on Goneboarding but I thought that I'd also kick it off here as I am now a total evangelist when it comes to stance angles.

Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted but this little revelation has brought about the biggest improvement in my riding for several years:

I have recently seen the light and have totally changed my binding angles.

I have spent the last 6 years getting to be a reasonably good freerider and have assumed that an "alpine" stance is essential for good control when going forward. For the last few years, my bindings have been at approx +35 front and +12 rear.

Obviously this makes riding fakie rather difficult but i was not willing to sacrifice forward control in order to perfect tricks. I just assumed that duck stance is only for trick merchants.

How wrong i was!

In Feb of this year i visited a friend doing her second season and, as expected, she was much faster than me. I then noticed that she had a stance of +16 and -16. So i thought, if it works for her, I'll give it a go. At the top of the next lift I changed my bindings to about +20 and -12.

What a revelation! It was much easier to ride fakie, to originate ollies and spins and to control the board in the air, but that was only to be expected. What amazed me was that fast, hard carving felt more controlled and easier as well.

I was expecting that the stance would feel weird for a while and that i would need a few runs to adjust to it, but no, it felt natural immediately.

With a duck stance it is easier to crouch down and commit to the turn without forcing your back leg into a strange twisting action. It takes a lot of pressure of the back ankle and allows you to go hard and fast for longer.

If you want to go faster, be more comfortable, have more fine control, be smoother when buttering or doing jump switches from normal to fakie and back again, I'd recommend giving it a try.

There endeth the lesson!

I have yet to try it in powder but i cannot see why that should be any different. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Has anyone found the opposite to be true for them?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tony Lane, I've only ever had a few days and rode whatever the hire shops had them at. Felt like 0* on the rear, would that be right as a default?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To be perfectly honest I was discussing with a Learner the merits of a more forward postion i.e. normal freeride stance on my last holiday. He asked me about duck stance and I grimaced. But after reading above and really actually thinking about it, it does actually sound like it could be a real improver. I'm always amazed at what a minor tweak here and there can do to your riding.

Upon your recommendation Mr. Lane... I will give a it whirl... you'll just have to wait 8 months or so before I can feedback Crying or Very sad Unless that is, the summer trip to Chile comes off Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm a real fiddler when it comes to binding settings. When I was learning I tried absolutely everything. Regular, goofy, alpine and duck stances. Was a bit more settled on the last holiday. Was regular, +15, +3 at the start, but I wasn't progressing at quite the rate I thought I should be. Went to +21, +6 and my boarding seemed to become loads better almost immediately. It might just have been the front foot adjustment that did it though, as I didn't adjust the back that much. Might give duck another go when I go away again in April, just to see how it feels now that I can board properly.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Felt like 0* on the rear, would that be right as a default?

This is a common starting position but it is worth making a few experiments to see what feels right for you. There are no rights or wrongs and it really is a case of finding your own best position.

Check out http://www.kommunity.com/advice/faq.php for some good advice
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Very interesting Tony, I havn't thought of trying duck as a I just assumed it was suited for parkers. I ride with a flat back foot (0/5) and front +15/20. I am tempted to give it a try when next at MK.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Started off learning duck, then went 0 front 0 back for a while, then went front +18 and varied the back from 0 to +5. Now settled -15 front -15 back, feels a lot more stable when taking (very small) jumps, riding fackie, riding flat and fast. It also made me feel a lot more confident riding in knee deep powder the other week as it felt a lot smoother. I find that it's easier to centre your weight in this position, a sort of tennis player postion?

I ride anywhere but in the park! Would love to give it go but never been with people who have tried before.

All in all i'd say try it but whatever works for you/floats you boat is all that matters in the end. It does depend a lot on your body mechanics, so if it does feel uncomfortable, then stop. I'd start at -5 and then work further to find where the balance is. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's all to do with the bio-mechanics of your lower body. Once you’ve got your stance width right for you (start with the distance between the tip of your middle finger and the end of your elbow as the ‘median’ space and go in or out from there), you need to work out how your body bends down to achieve a vertical squat with your back straight, as upright as possible and your head up. Once you’ve made space for yer beer gut you’ll have found your ‘natural’ stance. You can turn the feet to find a more alpine position but most people have the greatest range of movement and balance in a moderate ‘duck’ stance. I run at +25 & -10 most of the time cos one of my knees has an old injury and will only bend in one plane.

You’ll also find that when you stack, you’ll be better able to recover and less chance of knee and twist injuries.
Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well u guys have convinced me to give it a try at my next available opportunity!!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Welcome to the 'Duck' Side!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Simon (Mr T) wrote:
Welcome to the 'Duck' Side!

Groan !!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry,could not resist!
I got my bindings as far as 0 on the back leg,fakie was alot easier.-3 or more next.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I converted to Duck two seasons back. I thought having both feet forward is not a natural well balanced stance so I looked at how I stood normally and saw both feet turn out. I then read an article by Neil McNab which attempted to put some theory to stance widths and angles. Ultimately I find duck more stable and comfortable and I am very free ride orientated. The only time I change it is if it is going to be an epic deep powder day cos leaning back on my dodgy right knee is a little too tiring.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It sounds like we've had very similar experiences, ashton. It is interesting what you say about powder days and thinking about it i can see what you mean about how it might be better to revert to having the back knee pointing forward when you are spending a lot of time with more weight on that foot.

Will have to wait until next season now though Sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tony Lane wrote:
Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted but this little revelation has brought about the biggest improvement in my riding for several years:

Me too. I learned this from Neil McNab and friends on a Kommunity camp in 2001 and have never looked back. Like you I had been riding for a about 6 years at the time and I had got myself to a reasonable intermediate level but going duck (and understanding my stance) has made the biggest single improvement to my riding (and yes it works fine in powder too).

I usually steer anyone with a query on stance to McNab's excellent guide but I see someone has already linked to it above.
snow report
playdreamer, Welcome to snowHeads Smile
latest report
ditto snowHead snowHead ... sorry to read about your injury - at least it was pretty late in the season, plenty of time to recover for next year?
latest report
18, -9 suits me fine , my mate rides 21, -21, he got the nick name spastic legs (a bit nasty)
snow report
but when free riding i ride 18, 3
snow conditions
I'm a duck convert from McNab too, I ride something like 18, -9 (give or take 3 degrees on each foot).
snow conditions
took me years to convert (coming from an Alpine snowboard, Duck seemed like a joke) and now I regret i wasted all this time. I ride about 15 -12 and it makes a huge difference in control - also much easier on the back knee/ankle!

Try it as soon as you can! (only a few more months before season!) Very Happy
snow report
amyb, the normal snowHeads welcoming committee seem to be off watch. So on their behalf, please accept a 'Welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead' from me. Cool
ski holidays
Hi all. I too converted to duck last season with good results; that was using my own gear though. I was in Aus briefly this year and not expecting to board so didn't have my gear with me. The rental guy at Mt Buller refused to set me up in duck stance because he said that there was a greater chance of busting your knee (specifically the ACL I think). Not sure if that is the case but I thought I'd throw it into the conversation.
snow conditions
Hi all. I too converted to duck last season with good results; that was using my own gear though. I was in Aus briefly this year and not expecting to board so didn't have my gear with me. The rental guy at Mt Buller refused to set me up in duck stance because he said that there was a greater chance of busting your knee (specifically the ACL I think). Not sure if that is the case but I thought I'd throw it into the conversation.
ski holidays
This is an interesting read, I'm going to try this just as soon as the glacier opens again.
latest report
Just bumping this up again as it may be interesting for newer snowHeads who have not seen it, and may remind those who mentioned that they would try it this season.

If you do try it, let us know how you get on.
ski holidays
I read an article before xmas in a mag (can't remember which) where some medical expert was saying that the duck stance does give a greater risk of knee injury than a regular stance. If I find it again I will paste the column in here.
snow report
Philip, I'd be interested in reading that if you can find it as I've heard similar things said before.

I find that duck stance is more natural and comfortable during normal riding and i would have thought that it puts less strain on your knees and ankles as a result. But I can appreciate that if you stack it and stop suddenly with your momentum carrying you in the direction of the tip of the board, your knee might be pulled sideways whereas with the alpine stance it would just move further forward in its normal line of movement. But that's a fairly limited set of circumstances. Most crashes happen when your centre of gravity moves too far across the board so that you are not falling over the tip of the board.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’ve heard this too, but I’ve never seen a link to the research. I can see some validity if you were riding in full alpine mode where the stresses are not twisting or at a tangent to the direction of travel. But having fallen repeatedly, my worst injuries have always been in ‘normal’ foot angles. Since going duck, the stresses are greatly reduced and I have a much wider range of motion (better chance of recovery in a fall). It does help to have a good range of pelvis/hip flexation.
Best thing anyone can do is find the most comfortable foot stance that gives you the greatest mobility and least stress when riding. You also need to get into a Pilates/yoga class.
snow conditions
I've tried both a fair bit, I'm personally just more comfortable in duck than alpine. Much less stress on my knees and lower legs in general, and easier to ride switch. I don't know any technicalities, but it's more comfortable for me. I ride 18/-3 btw.
snow report
some interesting info here (not the medical article though)

http://www.cs.uu.nl/~daan/snow/stance.html#duck
snow conditions
the last paragraph in the section about duck stance is good advice
snow report
I have been riding for three years, started out with a stance of 15,15. Switched to a 0,0, and now ride with a 16,-16 stance. I love it, and I have been converting my friends. My girlfriend has switched and has gone from her legs cramping up alot to being very comfortable on a board. Myself I have found duck to be a very comfotable and versatile stance which I have yet to find a limitation for. With this stance I ride fast, hit jumps of differing sizes, and I work on terrain features.
ski holidays
prayforsnow247, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
The last 4 times I went out I've been riding 21/-6. I like it even more than 18/-3.
Also, I don't know if there's conculsive evidence that duck is more dangerous. There was I think 1 study showing duck riders having slightly more knee injuries than forward riders, but duck is also generally used more by freestylers (though I freeride and prefer it to a forward stance for freeriding). This increase in injuries could easily be because landing big jumps is harder on your knees than carving down a mountain?
ski holidays
I ride 12 and 21, whic I think is what the guys at Burton recommended when I bought my first pair of bindings many years ago. Never seen any need to change. Works well for me
snow report
Thanks for this tip Tony. I've tried it over the last few days in combination with new riser plates and it has transformed my riding, especially on the icy stuff we have had recently. The duck stance along with the riser plates I can now get a lot more pressure onto the edges. This just wasn't possible before with my forward /alpine stance.

Thanks Again!!! wink
snow report
petel, excellent! glad you found it useful
snow report
I rode a +25 and -5 this trip in Alpey D and found it to be most suitable.
snow conditions
GOING DUCK QUITE SIMPLY IS THE ONLY WAY!!!!!

ANYBODY WHO CAN TELL ME THAT FORWARD STANCE IS MORE COMFORTABLE IS... WELL... WELCOME TO THEIR OPINION, BUT WRONG... IN MY OPINION!

MACNABBS ADVICE IS SPOT ON!!!! STAND IN YOUR FRONT ROOM, BEDROOM OR EVEN BATHROOM IF THAT TAKES YOUR FANCY AND FIND A STANCE THAT IS COMFORTABLE FOR YOU. YOU DONT NEED YOUR BOARD FOR THIS. I BET 9/10 PEOPLE IF THEY WERE BEIN' HONEST AND TRIED THIS TEST WOULD HAVE TO CONCIDE THAT FORWARD STANCE IS ABOUT AS COMFORTABLE AS RIDIN' WITH A CUCUMBER STUCK UP YOUR JACKSY! I.E. NOT VERY.

ANYWAY THATS IT FROM ME.

p.s. found this website yesterday, and was well pleased because it makes the day at work go so much faster! Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy