Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Folie Douce in Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
livetoski, that video makes me feel very old and somewhat anti-social. Laughing I'm not sure which I'd dislike the most - the Folie Douce or a cruise.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fixx wrote:

I’ll tell you what, I’ll be there in a couple of weeks - just for the benefit of this thread, I shall make sure to stop by on multiple occasions to do an in-depth study, and duly report back Wink

Very good of you - sorry to make you 'work' whilst on holiday! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Please can someone tell me the easiest way to get back to Courchevel 1850 from the Folie Douce in Meribel? Do you have to ski all the way to the bottom and go back up?

I'd love to go and see it next week (if it's open).

Also, would it be possible to take a virtual beginner with me who only wants to ski greens and get back easily?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was bit of a regular at the Folie last year..

From the Folie you can walk up just a little way (not right up to the lift station) and then pick up a green run (Blanchot) down to the Rond Point, then it's either blue runs in to town or bus down. I checked this out last year before I took some beginner / nervous skiers over there.

Enjoy.. it's great fun and amusing people watching. The cabaret usually starts about half two..

Make sure you have ID on you as I have known people not to get in just because they don't have ID.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you can pick up Blanchot from the Folie then instead of turning left towards Meribel centre at the top of the Rhodos you can go straight on towards the Altiport/Village area and get on the Loze chair to 1850. From there, there's a bit of Lac Bleu (mostly path) and then Loze Est green all the way to the croisette in 1850.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Assuming that the Loze chair is still open and HoneyBunny is still capable of skiing to it!

Presumably Saulire lifts stay open later that Loze?

There used to be a nice quiet cafe where Folie Douce is, bah humbug
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DavidYacht, the Loze is the last lift to shut apart from the Rhodos which doesn't connect anywhere. If she can't ski to the Loze, she certainly won't be able to ski any of the routes from the top of the Saulire.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My mistake, I had assumed that the fancy new Saulire lift and the location of FD, Saulire would be last open. I quess that the alcohol will numb you from getting cold on the Loze lift as dusk settles! Was there not a plan to turn Le Caserolle into a Folie Douce?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just be clear, I can ski any available run to get back (assuming I'm not too pissed), but I might have a nervous beginner with me who only wants greens or lifts back.

I also need to get back to Courchevel 1850, not Meribel, so need to look out for lift closing times.

Thanks for the pointers, it's hard to know exactly where it is from the map :--)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HoneyBunny, Maybe the gondola up the Saulire and then again the gondola down for your friend to 1850 will be the best option.

Otherwise you will have to try to get the route above La Tania.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tom W, yes, that was my original thought, I just wondered if the Folie was too far below the mid-station and you'd have to go down to Meribel and back up (in which case I couldn't bring the beginner).

The Saulire gondola would be the safest option.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Combe Saulire pissed, or M pissed or perhaps Grand Couloir pissed?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd have to be extremely pissed to go anywhere near the GC!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the pointers, it's hard to know exactly where it is from the map :--)

You will hear it before you see it rolling eyes
latest report
NE1 wrote:
You will hear it before you see it rolling eyes

Banal europop booming in the mountains. I wish the marmosets would get together and chew through the electricity supply.
snow conditions
Marmosets are monkeys!! LOL

Right, I made it to the FD in Meribel, so I've now been to all three, hurrah.

It's bigger than the others with a HUGE bar, and it's all new and shiny. View is spectacular! It's a bit of a pain if you're staying anywhere other than Meribel though as you have to leave at 4 (this time of year) to catch the last lift back.

The quickest run back down is a steep red as well, so not wise to drink much/anything if you want to take that route. There is a blue (or maybe green, I can't tell from the map!) alternative route down though, and there are blue/green runs to get to it down from the top of Saulire or across from the Pas Du Lac mid-station.

As said, the other way back to Courchevel is to ski the easy run to the Loze chair.

Great atmosphere, lots of Russians in Bogner jackets quaffing champagne, good music (the DJ likes Avicci) and very, very pretentious. They had an electric guitarist on the bar who wasn't bad, and the dancers/singers- including the men - had impossibly high heels on.

I love it though, the atmosphere is great.

It's exactly the same style as the others, but the one in Val D will always be the best as a) it has Kely Starlight and b) it's much more accessible.

I also can confirm that you CAN walk to it from the Saulire Express bubble mid-station. The FD is directly below, and there is a path to it, and a gap left in the fence by the lifties to climb up the last bit. You can see where loads of people have walked.

I would advise beginners and nervous skiers to take the lift.

I think the Folie in VT is the only one you HAVE to ski to and take the blue run down.
ski holidays
HoneyBunny,
Quote:
I think the Folie in VT is the only one you HAVE to ski to and take the blue run down.

Not any more. The 3 Valleys 1 chairlift has been changed to a "chondola" and renamed Pionniers to allow pedestrian access to the FD.

http://www.valthorens.com/winter-en/val-thorens/live/news/news-detail/what-s-new-in-val-thorens-ski-area.378.a510.html
ski holidays
Oooh that's new this season! I sit corrected.
ski holidays
Hi, may I check the ski route down from Meribel FD to Rond Point area? Do you have to do the steep red or can you get onto the blue and red runs
latest report
Bunches wrote:
Hi, may I check the ski route down from Meribel FD to Rond Point area? Do you have to do the steep red or can you get onto the blue and red runs

You can get to the green slope Blanchot by walking for 1 minute. No need to do the steep red (Chamois) and that has been closed recently.
snow report
Brilliant, thank you. I assume you can get onto Marmottes too?
snow conditions
@Bunches, Yes. A fortnight ago Marmottes was not in brilliant condition (hard, verging on icy). If still like that Blanchot may be a better choice.
snow conditions
Why has Chamois been closed?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy