Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

split Snowboard for La Grave ?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm doing snowboarding, and soon I'll go to La Grave , to the skierslodge. at the moment I have a normal free-raid board, and I want advices about split board, if you think is it necessary, and if is it necessary, is there a recommended type split Snoovord. Thanks Yariv
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm doing snowboarding, and soon I'll go to La Grave , to the skierslodge. at the moment I have a normal free-raid board, and I want advices about split board, if you think is it necessary, and if is it necessary, is there a recommended type split Snoovord. Thanks Yariv
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yariv_har, I'm not a snowboarder, but I've skied in LG lots and never yet used skins on my skis at LG itself. There are good skinning routes in other ski areas nearby, but I think it unlikely Skiers' Lodge would have them high up their list of things to do for someone who's not been there before. Skiers' Lodge do ski quite a bit in Montgenevre, and a favourite run to finish off the day involves a 30 minute bootpack which could be done on skins if you so preferred, but it's not worth buying a splitboard specifically for that.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was there last season with a splitboard and used it in touring mode only to get to and from Les Deux Alpes over the top, instead of waiting for the snowcat Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't worry about a split board, if La Grave is shut and other options are planned then the lodge will advise you about gear, and that might mean hiring snow shoes for a day, which is a damn site cheaper than buying a split board, in fact that's how I got into touring initially on a snowboard then migrated back to skis !

For the record, the above advice is based on snow boarding in La Grave for ten or more years !!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi all.i have the opportunity to go to la grave in Feb, but have to confess I turned to the dark side 20 years ago and traded my skis for a snowboard.i will be in the comany of a bunch of skiers.the aim of course is to access lots of off piste.like the previous poster I am not sure how much of a problem not being able to skin up or traverse flats will be.was considering trying to hire a split board.or possibly just carry snow shoes..we plan to use neighbouring resorts if la garave not up to it. advise from anyone welcome.cheers
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Split board not required for LG itself or for snowboarding in AdH or LDA. Indeed, while I don't snowboard I think the reduced torsional rigidity of a splitboard would probably make it less than optimal for the kind of snow conditions you may encounter. Obviously if there is little fresh snow and you want to tour from the Lauteret then that is a different matter. Furthermore, some big descents from LG suck for snowboarders irrespective of whether they have touring gear or not. The descents into the Vallon de la Selle and on to St Christophe are ghastly for snowboarders and potentially dangerous due to inevitable dawdling under major objective hazards. If you do want to take a run to St Christophe then I would go from the Toura lift in LDA and not the col de la Girose or the Rama.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
anthonymoore wrote:
Hi all.i have the opportunity to go to la grave in Feb...advise from anyone welcome.cheers

Well if it's free advice you're after (and you're the same Anth Moore) I'd suggest a leash on your board on the cable car Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is great to hear, been pondering the same myself.

A fairly high level boarder, but without a splitboard so not keen on massive flats/traverses or hikes out. To complicate things I've been hedging my bets and picked up skiing a few years ago, been skiing off piste for a couple of seasons now (and have full touring set up). But my skiing level is nowhere near my boarding level yet.

Would likely pack both anyway and see what the snow gods deliver!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@gorilla, I've done St Christophe a few times on a snowboard and yes flat stretch is a bit of a pain but you are well away from any danger!

It also depends on what time of year you do it, more often than not it tends to be when conditions are not that good, and in Spring lower down on the flat running by the stream the snow goes rotten and hiking out you can sink up to your thighs much to the amusement of any skiers who might be with you.

Like I said earlier in this thread I did nigh on ten years or more snow boarding in LG and have continued to ski there for another eight or so years with a mate who still boards.

When we go off down Girosse because he is on a split board we have taken lines where he has had to skin out to get back into Chancel.

All I'd say about snow boarding in LG make sure you're fit as the traverses to P1 can really take it out of you, but again the level of pain does very much depend on what the snow is like, and it's much more preferable to descend all the way down to the river!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam, we're talking about the same place? Last time I took that route Scottishskier and I were cursing our way through a mixture of refrozen avi debris and fallen rock from the cliffs above. While I was confident in our route selection and that we were not there too late it the day, we were not hanging around either.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@gorilla, so sounds like you were doing it in Spring which is when most do it ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As i recall you have to skin up for an hour from LG to start the St Christophe run, did they add another lift in last 15yrs ?? Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just take the drag lift, then hop over the back
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is another route over from where the old drag lift used to finish up over the Col de la Girosse I think it is, though I've never done that though have skinned up below the ridge a few times. My mate did it and referred to the descent as ice axe couloir, it's not a descent that a guide would take a group down but only one on one.
latest report
Hi,

I am a snowboarder who can also ski but much more comfortable on my board off piste. I am considering a trip to Skier's Lodge but would like to join up with other snowboarders. Just wondering if any boarders planning on going there that I might be able to join up with. anthonymoore - when are you going? February sometime? I'd prefer Jan or March tbh.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy