Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inners

Poster: A snowHead
So, I've had a pair of Head boots which really suit my feet for a few years now. In that time, of course, the inner has compressed somewhat.

This means that I have some small (but noticeable) heel movement. I've tried to contact Head to find out about replacement inners but without much success and the person I spoke to in Slush & Rubble looked at me like I'd asked to buy a pair of 210cm 1981 race skis.

So, my question is, is there al alternative solution or am I looking at the misery that is a search for a new pair of boots?

Cheers for all your advice,

Zammo
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any good boot fitter will be able to fit replacement liners, and they don't have to be from Head. Zipfit would be one option (which are available at S&R - not sure why they turned you away) as would getting custom foam-injected liners.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar.org.uk, thanks for that. Maybe I just got the Saturday part-timer Mong at S&R ....

I shall look at how much custom inners would set me back!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
failing that, i am sure there are people on this forum that would be able to sort out dome circa 1981 210cm race skis.

custom inners from around 85 - 200. the daft thing is you can get the foam inners with a new pair of top of the line boots for 220 if you now the right people.

just make sure you get someone decent to fit them for you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
S&R certainly sell Zipfit or Conformable. But if you're near London try Profeet. I got them to do Conformable ones (without the foamed tongue) and they're OK. Not as super comfortable as was led to expect, although I may take them back in for more adjustment. Also, packing down faster than I anticipated so probably only good for about 60-80 days use.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch, I am in London and, as it happens, they are the right end on NKR for me Laughing

Did you get them to do you new insoles as well?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I didn't, as I had a new pair of SmartFeet custom made in Val last December.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch, that link didn't! I couldn't google it either. Any ideas?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zammo,
Ellis Brigham sell both tongue packing and a sock affair that laces around the inner boot to try and bolster flagging inners. £18 each item. It may be worth trying those before forking out the £160 or so for new inners, although I'm a bit skeptical. I will take my boots (similar problem) along in the next 4 weeks to see what they say.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Manda wrote:
David Murdoch, that link didn't! I couldn't google it either. Any ideas?

www.superfeet.com ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
THIS is what I really was looking for...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
foam injection is surely pot luck! have spent too many evening with fellow skidders moaning that their boots do not fit AND that i should wait whilst they try to convince some local shop that has never seen them before to save their toes in 20 mins! has anyone tried cork/oil/jel inners ?if so are they as comfy as adverts would have me believe.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shorty-i have just bought a new pair of boots-with the cork and oil inners-have not worn them yet, but were told they are pretty damn good-i hope so....has anyone tried these? If so, are they all that?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shorty,

"foam injection is surely pot luck!"

No, I assure you, it's not, not done by a decent technician. What they are also not however is a panacea (and nor does it take 20 minutes). I reckon I was in Profeet for about 1.5-2 hours. It then took a week's skiing to get really into them. They've now done 4-5 weeks and could do with some fine tuning.

So another message there is that unless you can devote the time and get the on-snow opportunity too, they're probably not worth it if you only get the chance to ski 1 or 2 weeks a year. I needed new liners anyway and thought the foaming would be a good idea (better than just new "standard" liners). Was I right, yes I think I was. Would I get new boots with foamed liners? Yes I think I probably would.

When they're properly done up I get an extremely precise fit. Which I like. I suspect not everyone will want/like that. When they're not properly done up, the stiffness of the liner and the closeness of the fit conspire to make them fit not very well at all. There's not a great deal of "fit forgiveness" in them.

Chris_5000, I will be well interested in your experience with the cork and oil idea - a review after a weeks skiing would be welcomed I'm sure!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fine tuning! when ,where. when your feet have warmed up a good hard ski or jumping out of car on sat afternoon. hanging around said early mentioned local ski shop wasting good ski time or having a jolly with some friends in town. when you say fine tune what do you mean, do your feet hurt or ache,are said liner too tight,loose? would I be right to say as the bigger percentage of british skier would die for more than 1or 2 weeks per year, can they afford to be uncomftable at all.
ski holidays
I HAVE HEAD LINERS IN ALL SIZES AND MODELS, LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU NEED A.S.A.P. OTHERWISE ALL WILL BE BACK OFF TO HEAD. APPROX 80EUROS PLUS P+P. YOU WOULD BE HOWEVER GETTING THEM FOAMED!
latest report
shorty, basically, they're not 100% comfortable all the time. During the foaming process, you get neoprene pads fitted to stop "overfoaming". One of them wasn't thick enough so I need some foam shaved off, etc, etc. I know what my feet are like cold or hot and know what they need to do to the boots.

Why waste ski time? any decent shop I know is open till 19h00 or later. I think I've probably switched off my head torch by that point.

You might be right to say that the average brit skier would die for more than 2 weeks but then the average brit skier, IMHO, from what I observe is often skiing in/on inappropriate kit. So they might be uncomfortable but often it's through bad advice ...or other things.

Still, it's not pot luck!
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Do you have any liners suitable for my Scarpa T1s. They are the all-black model from 6 (?) years ago, with three clips. ?
latest report
Yes, yes, yes. I have a national debts worth. I would strongly recommend you buy a real thermo model, the reason i have loads of the standard ones is because i refuse to sell T1's with them, they suck! However should you still want one, let me know the size. Measure the sole with a tape! Twisted Evil
snow report
ok point taken, but would still love any feedback on cork/oil liners.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Thx I'll PM you with the details. snowHead
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Did you get my PM ? Puzzled
snow conditions
ski wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Did you get my PM ? Puzzled

Yeah, sorry bud'. I will be back at the zoo on the 31st Oct' so will look them out then. A real Palau(thermoflex liner would be much beeter and not too much more expensive. This will offer you a much better fit and be warmer too. We have them made for the zoo, however distribute them in the U.K. by, you guessed it, Lockwoods. I'll P.M. you in a week or so.
Off to make moulds in Italy. Twisted Evil
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Thanks - have fun ! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I've used Zipfit cork / oil liners for years. They're awesome, the most comfortable fit I've ever had. The more you ski in them the better the fit. I normally ski roughly 20 weeks on each pair but they would probably last 30+ weeks but it's a treat to my feet. You can have them topped up with extra oil / cork mixture if needed altough this is quite rare and I don't usually need to do it until after 12 / 14 weeks.

They might seem expensive at first but if you find a boot that you like the flex pattern and fit with a Zipfit you can make the boots last much longer, providing you look after the shells. Sorry to be repeatative but that's why I always recommend Cat Tracks, they protect AND make walking in ski boots SO much easier.

Unless you have really awkward feet / ankles / legs or planning to do lots of racing then IMO foams are a waste of time.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy