Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Save me from divorce

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

why the OH has 2 pairs of identical shoes just in different colours that'll never get worn on a skiing holiday.

Walking boots, 1 pair indoor shoes, ski boots. Why on earth would you need more footwear on a ski holiday?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
♫♪♫ Ta diddle de dee . . . That doesn't suprise me.... ♫♪♫
Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Masque,
Quote:

I'm a happy di-vor-cee

When was your sex change? Shocked

Talking of OCD, if my spare bed is occupied in the days leading up to a trip away, my trip is thereby irretrievably ruined, since it prevents me from laying my stuff out in piles before packing it. Shocked (I'm sorry to have to admit that there is a grain of truth in this. Embarassed) My house also has to be spotless when I leave.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pedantica, poetic licence dear
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

why the OH has 2 pairs of identical shoes just in different colours that'll never get worn on a skiing holiday.

Walking boots, 1 pair indoor shoes, ski boots. Why on earth would you need more footwear on a ski holiday?

Stilettos

Thigh high boots ...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arranging for your cleaner to come whilst you're away means you don't have to leave your house clean and tidy but will come back to it in that condition. With clean sheets on the bed, bliss.

I pack everything I need in about 15 minutes and then go out for the three hours it takes Mr Spannah to sort out what he wants, fold it fifteen times, inexplicably polish every pair of shoes he owns, repack my bag because everything being in it and it being shut simply isn't good enough, pack his bag, unpack and repack half a dozen times and then announce he's done. If I stayed home whilst he did this it wouldn't end in divorce, it would end in murder!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pedantica, I didn't know that was not a word for divorced man. Shocked
I suppose people use happy, poor, free etc. etc. Wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spannah,
Quote:

Arranging for your cleaner to come whilst you're away

What cleaner?

tiffin, divorcé (don't know how you pronounce it - in English - though.)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pedantica, http://grammarist.com/usage/divorcee-divorce/

Divorcée, divorcé, divorcee
A divorcée is a woman who has been divorced, and a divorcé is a man who has been divorced. The words come directly from French, which unlike English uses masculine and feminine forms for most nouns denoting people. In French, divorcé is the past participle of the verb divorcer. When the past participle is used as a noun and made feminine, it takes an extra e. This is true of all regular -er French verbs and their noun derivatives.

But while divorcée and divorcé are still widely used, many publications use the sex-neutral divorcee—no accent—for both men and women who have been divorced. This form is especially common in British publications.

di·vor·cé [dih-vawr-sey, -vohr-, -vawr-sey, -vohr-]
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
so its "seh" "see" ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque wrote:
Most of this should be in the OCD thread.

Yes, 'test unpack'!?

I throw stuff into a bag the night before and have never missed anything apart from suncream, I think I must have forgotten that about 3 times in a row now.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Did once take . . . skis in a small bag, snowboard boots in the main Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I pack the bags, hubby packs the car with the bags. Much swearing and references to the Tardis usually results.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some funny comments. Im lucky. The wife packs her stuff and the two kids. I pack my stuff, organise trip, pay for it, arrange transfers, ski hire, lessons and get euros. In other words I am administrator and finance.

Last check as we leave - passports - tickets - credit cards. Anything else we can buy if we forgot it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pedantica wrote:
Spannah,
Quote:

Arranging for your cleaner to come whilst you're away

What cleaner?

I think it might be worth hiring one for a one off when you're on holiday. In terms of the cost of a ski trip and extra £20-30 might be worth spending to have someone blitz your house whilst away. Hmmmm, maybe I have a cunning business idea.
ski holidays
Quote:

extra £20-30 might be worth spending to have someone blitz your house whilst away.

Laughing Laughing either you haven't paid a cleaner for a long time or you have a house which is either extremely small, or extremely clean already, or both.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

extra £20-30 might be worth spending to have someone blitz your house whilst away.

Laughing Laughing either you haven't paid a cleaner for a long time or you have a house which is either extremely small, or extremely clean already, or both.

Can I claim a very clean house <cough>
snow report
A good cleaner is £13 pounds an hour in Emsworth - goodness knows how much they are in London! It would take more than 2 hours to blitz my house, that's for sure.
ski holidays
I will admit to liking the house to be clean and tidy before we go away.

I will have the clothes I'm wearing and a spare set, plus ski stuff. That's it. As we have an apartment and self cater, most evening I slob around in pjs
ski holidays
We pay £10 per hour in London and she's a marvel. I guess I was underestimating - I pay £30 per week, so that's enough to keep us shipshape. A proper blitz would probably be double that, which is still a tiny proportion of the cost of a ski holiday.
snow conditions
Boris wrote:
I will admit to liking the house to be clean and tidy before we go away.

I will have the clothes I'm wearing and a spare set, plus ski stuff. That's it. As we have an apartment and self cater, most evening I slob around in pjs

That sorts the real men from the Boris' . . . real men don't wear pjs/ They slob around in their underwear and fart a lot . . . and of course the obligatory scratch and sniff. That may have some bidding on the divorce, I couldn't stand it when she did that.
latest report
I take great comfort from the above. Clearly,for many years,I have had the deluded belief that it was only my wife who could spend a week packing her bag...and still arrive with some essential? item missing. On more than one occasion,I have have threatened to go on my own,and have come very,very close to carrying out the threat Twisted Evil
I take the logical approach. I'm going skiing,so thats the main focus...everything else is marginal to me.Spare trews,tee shirts,undies,toothbrush...done! Never pack in advance,done in one go the day/night before the off.
Wife...pack,re-pack,re-think,2nd re-pack,doubt!!! Daughter...the same x 10. I struggle to get close to a 20kg limit,even with boots in case. My females could quite happily fill a 50kg limit..each!! My wife has a shampoo obsession(along with other essential? hair potions) She must travel with at least 10 assorted bottles of stuff,and still moan that it may not be enough FFS. Maybe this explains why all the bag packers at my local Morrisons are lads wink Laughing
latest report
snowskisnow, ah yes, potions. Potion-packing has become a nightmare since the restrictions on liquids in hand luggage came in. There is a whole science of potion packing. wink
latest report
Quote:

I struggle to get close to a 20kg limit,even with boots in case.

+1
snow conditions
Masque, I thought everyone knew I'm not a real man by any stretch of imagination
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I struggle to get close to a 20kg limit,even with boots in case.

+1

We didn't but that was mainly due to hubbies boots weighing approx 7kg on their own, he got "new" boots last year and they feel half the weight if not less.
ski holidays
Quote:

Never pack in advance,done in one go the day/night before the off.

Surely this is a contradiction, pack just before you leave.
snow conditions
Boris, the qustion is: Is Masque, ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I pack for me and the 2 kids. This year Santa brought me a fabulous new piece of luggage (I like luggage!) that will carry my skis, boots, and anything else I might need for a weeks skiing. It has lots of little pockets, and it makes me very happy! The kids will each be allowed as many toys as they can fit in their trunkies, and will share a suitcase for clothes. Child no. 1's skis will fit in my bag too, and child 2 is too young to ski. I'll have my mini rucksack for handluggage, and it will double up as my backpack for on the mountain. I will spend an evening decanting potions, selecting the travel sized version of everything, choosing lightweight and versatile clothing so as not to use up too much space or weight. Et voila - everything the 3 of us might need in the course of a week will be packed into 2 hold cases and 3 pieces of hand luggage. It will be all ready and packed with at least 12 hours to go before leaving the house.

My husband will not have packed anything at all by bedtime the night before we have to leave the house at 4am. Then all hell will break loose. He will have to take 2 pairs of skis, of course, in case the snow conditions change during the week and he fancies the race/powder skis more. And then he will need his bag of guff to fix his skis in case he skis over a rock or needs to change the bindings because he wants to swap skis with a mate. He'll pack his own wash bag too, throwing jumbo sized tubes of toothpaste and giant bottles of showgel in there, rendering my careful choosing and decanting pointless. And because we are going to our own apartment he'll pack the electric drill and a socket set just in case he needs to make any repairs while we are there. And he'll need his laptop in case he has to make any work emails, and his iPad, and several chargers, and a couple of brick sized books because he might want to read at the same time as the kids are playing with the iPad. I'll look at the 6 extra bags he has packed, and hope that he has booked us a hire car this year that we can pick up from the airport instead of having to catch a bus into the boondocks so we don't have to lug this crap halfway across Catalonia - of course he hasn't!

And somehow, in all these bags, he won't have managed to pack any spare clothes, so he'll look like a tramp all week when not wearing his salopettes.

I'm not even going to mention my mother, who believes because we are travelling Club and the baggage allowance is 46kg a person this means the party baggage allowance can be made up to max with her stuff. In her mind it's a weight target, not a limit, and wasted if not used!
snow conditions
pandora, Laughing
snow report
Packing, meh. I never take hold luggage; hold luggage = lost luggage. So, stuff for 2-3 week business trip goes into cabin bag, below 10kg weight limit (in fact my laptop backpack weighs more). Ski weekend gear (no poles or skis, but everything else) goes into small holdall.

Secret to happy packing is only take "must-have", not "nice-to-have". Actually - mea culpa - I'm returning home from a week in China tomorrow and I might not have used one of the handkerchieves I took, but my conscience is clear. Little Angel
ski holidays
Quote:

one of the handkerchieves I took

golly. Do they have your initials embroidered on them?
snow conditions
All now packed; 16-17kg inc boots but not salopettes which go with the skis (naughty - naughty I know). Now if I'd been going with the family it'd all be about the argurements of what's been packed and how untidly they both pack so as to maximise the space it all takes up. The joys of the lads trip!
snow conditions
pam w, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I can pack in about 10 minutes. OH takes about 4 months. I never forget anything. Process is easy. Just remember your last trip and do a run through.

Airport - tickets passport
Between airport and destination - snacks and credit card
Arrive - check in - passport and credit card - booking ref if necessary
Bar - credit card
Skis if hiring - booking ref and credit card

Next morning -
shower (soap, shampoo, shaving cream, razor)
get dressed (underwear, thermals, fleeces, salopettes, jacket, buff, sunnies/goggles, hat, boots.)

Go ski - apply lip balm

repeat as necessary. the only multiple items required are thermals and underwear. (although I did go on a lads week once where I was forced to wear the same thermals all week in order to mask the stench of the other three.)

Finally - fresh socks for each ski day. Yesterdays socks are never quite as toastie as a fresh pair. Dunno why.

That's it - I'm packed and sorted.

OH starts with Apres - we are there six nights....could be 6 formal nights or 6 casual nights, so I need 12 outfits for dinner. 12 pairs of shoes to match. It might be warm, so I will need to change from my sweaty stuff after lunch each day. (12 of knickers, bras, thermals.) It might be cold, so I will take a heavy fleece (6 of) or it might be not too cold, so I need a light fleece (6 of.) Will those shoes go with that dress? Does my bum look big in these jeans. Oh! I need to pack my lenses........Get to airport....passport? What?
ski holidays
Quote:

No teddies on the bed, but I don't think my wife will pack any, I can't even get her to wear them when we are home on our own, let alone in a busy chalet with thin walls ...

+2 Smile
latest report
Bang on the 20kg limit inc boots in the bag Laughing
ski holidays
And of course all men expect their OH to be prepared for any eventuality and have packed painkillers, anti-imflammatories, anit-histamines, diarrhoea tablets, throat lozanges, indigestion remedy, decongestant, arnica cream, elastic bandage, wipes, plasters, blister plasters and anything and everything else they might need. Lads trips just usually ask random women in the same chalet rolling eyes .
snow conditions
maggi wrote:
And of course all men expect their OH to be prepared for any eventuality and have packed painkillers, anti-imflammatories, anit-histamines, diarrhoea tablets, throat lozanges, indigestion remedy, decongestant, arnica cream, elastic bandage, wipes, plasters, blister plasters and anything and everything else they might need. Lads trips just usually ask random women in the same chalet rolling eyes .

Not true. I have done 12 days with three broken fingers, broken rib and broken collar bone, all at the same time. If that happened at home I could do nothing for months
snow report
This has got to be one of the funniest threads ever, keep it coming Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy