Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Save me from divorce

Poster: A snowHead
So we fly off to st anton on Sunday

Which means according to me I will pack on Saturday, with the common logic that " if it is not on the spare bed, it doesn't get packed" etc

In reality my wife and daughter will still be adding extra stuff 1 hr before we leave and 10seconds before we leave

And on recent form, i will be the one to blame when we don't have any salopettes for our daughter because they are still hanging up in a wardrobe somewhere at home

So, help me out please

Please advise what we have not put on the spare bed yet, so that I have 2 days to find it and get it packed ...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you have a duvet in your spare bed?

Sorry
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sev112, what you need to do is lie to your family about when you leave for the holiday. Tell them that you are all booked on a Saturday afternoon flight, and that you need to leave by noon.

At noon, the bags must be ready, without fail, packed, and ready to go in the car/taxi. Tell them that you are not going to interfere, and that you will pack your stuff, but they are all responsible for packing their own stuff.

Then on Saturday, at 12:30, when they are running late but have finally packed their bags, and they come to you asking why you are not in a rush and don't have your shoes on, you tell them the truth, and that they can all have a nice relax for a Saturday evening before holiday without any panic.

Note, this is likely to only work a couple of times, then will spectacularly backfire when they call your bluff.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Passports.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sev112, So I'm not the only one. Good luck!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sev112, pack on friday night, then do a test unpack on saturday morning as if you were going skiing, going out, charging laptop, pad, tablet, phones etc etc......
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sev112, delegate. Twisted Evil
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I love the " test pack" idea Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Passports.

Right, must remember to pack the passports ...now where did I pack them ?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sev112, bumbag?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Your case plus tickets, passports, taxi etc - your responsibility.

Wife's case - her responsibility.

Daughter's case - shared between wife and daughter according to age of daughter.

Make this clear now.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sev112, Don't get involved with women packing, even if invited . . . there is only pain, humiliation and fear in this . . . for you. Your responsibility is paperwork, passports, tickets etc. and your own bag. Maybe the equipment bag too, tell them a time to leave 2 hours before you actually need to. Then DON"T say another word but book a taxi for the early time or throw your gear onto your car and bug off even if they are not ready. Come back 10 mins. later and take your punishment. £10 wasted on the taxi, the royalest of ear bashing and a 12hr sulk of epic depth . . .

. . . but they were always ready for the off in plenty of time in the future Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Each person packs their own bag, simple. Providing daughter is over 10 (ish), give her a list and tell her to tick it as it goes in. if someone forgets something it's their own fault, they won't forget it next time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You saw that TV commercial "for everything else, there's Mastercard" Wink Just be sure limit is set high enough, and I'm sure there won't be problems anymore... or well... there still will be, but you can't help that Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Each person packs their own bag, simple. Providing daughter is over 10 (ish), give her a list and tell her to tick it as it goes in. if someone forgets something it's their own fault, they won't forget it next time.

This. Your bird is an adult - it's not utterly unreasonable to expect her to behave like one.
latest report
Quote:

+2. The idea that my husband would ever have been responsible for packing for me or the kids is laughable. In the families I know, it's the women who do the packing - one even packs for her husband when he goes on business trips. rolling eyes
snow report
i pack the tech, paperwork and my ski gear. Mrs ansta1 packs everything else, that way its her fault if something is missing and i get to moan and gloat for the holiday. which is nice1
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
[In the families I know, it's the women who do the packing

In families I know, women do the packing, and men take blame for what is missing Laughing
ski holidays
Same here but hubby is wise enough not to moan about what I pack.
latest report
I do the packing for myself and both children (they help a bit) and my husband packs his own stuff. The night before we go through passports, tickets etc. We tend to leave at crack of dawn so nothing is done on the day of departure apart from washing/cleaning teeth and locking up. We always change to new toothbrushes the day before leaving and old ones are packed so we don't have to think about packing wash kit at the last minute.

If we argue about anything it is due to me wanting the house all clean and tidy before departure and my husband not being fussed. I don't want to come back from hols and find a crumb on the work surface Laughing It is nice to come back to a clean house so you can enjoy it for the week after the holiday before having to clean again.

I bet the following are not on the spare bed yet :
toiletries, favourite teddies, sun cream/lip balm, hair brushes and hair accessories, laundry bags for dirty washing, medical stuff
ski holidays
Our kids have a list and pack
I oak my stuff, mrs b hers. Apparently was my fault she forgot pants one year!!!!
latest report
I know better than to try to get involved. My responsibilities end with placing "My Stuff" on the spare bed while missus plays suitcase tetris. My job is to pack everything with a plug we may need into hand luggage and to wear clothes during travelling with as many pockets as possible where 'things' can be placed. Essentially I act as a 5'10" walking handbag on the day.
ski holidays
Get the kids to actually try on their jackets and salopettes and make sure both adults agree that they fit. I have done the emergency shopping trip rolling eyes and gear is expensive in resort!
snow report
The risk is not what you don't take, but WHAT IT WILL COST to replace what you don't take.
latest report
Quote:

I oak my stuff, mrs b hers. Apparently was my fault she forgot pants one year!!!!

Laughing
ski holidays
I am not usually a list person but find them invaluable when going on holiday.

However, Mr C looks out his own stuff and is in charge of travel paperwork. I then divide the clothes for me, child and Mr C as evenly as possible between the 3 bags (just in case of lost luggage). Child likes to get her own stuff looked out now, as long as she has a list to work from. What she packs in the trunki for her hand luggage is up to her!
snow report
Quote:

I am not usually a list person but find them invaluable when going on holiday.

+1. Print it out stick it up in a prominent place and tick off when item packed. I do this for skiing, camping and family hols in summer.
ski holidays
The only things I triple check

Passport
Contact lenses - stuffed without these

Anything else I will buy if needed

Oh and for those who were wondering - an emergency supermarket trip was required, Mrs B didn't go commando all weeK!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowymum, are you my wife?
ski holidays
CaurnieBred,

We do something similar. Mrs M fills her bag, then she fills the kids bag, then she fills my bag. Hopefully there is a little bit of room left for my stuff somewhere after all that wink
snow conditions
Write out a check list of everything you need for each of you. Obviously if you miss something you need off the list it doesn't work. I even work out where/how items will be packed depending on the specific baggage requirements on different flights. Outbound in December I flew BA who allow 23Kg in main baggage, on the charter return I was only allowed 20Kg but I could also use an extra ski boot bag.

I have been using checklists for years, it does change slightly from one trip to the next, so keep it up to date.

I go through my check list a week before I leave. Things gives me time to obtain missing things before I leave.

My list includes everything including keys, cash, documents, electrical stuff, as well as ski gear.
latest report
Looking at this thread makes me realise . . .

I really shouldn't look back at my divorce with any feelings of loss Twisted Evil
snow report
Put everything out, get rid of half of it

Pack half of whats left!
snow report
Forgetting replaceable stuff is often a good way of getting nice new gear

We got a really good 1 piece for our daughter for under twent quid in Kaprun that lasted her 3 years and was handed on to someone last year

Checklists .... Not my normal approach but might give it a go.

No teddies on the bed, but I don't think my wife will pack any, I can't even get her to wear them when we are home on our own, let alone in a busy chalet with thin walls ...
latest report
I lay out all of the clothes for each of us in rows. So ski clothes - under layers - hats/gloves/scarf - jerseys - tops - underwear - trousers - socks. Four rows of stuff with the different 'groupings' next to each other and clearly defined. Makes it very easy to see if there is too much of one thing or not enough of another for each person. My children are too small to check if they've got everything yet but as soon as they're big enough it will be their responsibility.
snow conditions
Quote:

No teddies on the bed, but I don't think my wife will pack any, I can't even get her to wear them when we are home on our own, let alone in a busy chalet with thin walls ...

Laughing
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
Put everything out, get rid of half of it

Pack half of whats left!

This is true and after nearly 25 years the wife has agreed.
snow report
Layne, if your wife is also called Vicky, there's a chance snowymum, may be a bigamist! It's the house being spotless before we go that annoys me.

I am the anal one who weighs the bags, moans that we're overweight (apart from my own packing), then moans in resort as to why Jnr has 9 t-shirts for 6 evenings wear, and why the OH has 2 pairs of identical shoes just in different colours that'll never get worn on a skiing holiday.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 11-01-13 16:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Buy a place in resort and fill it with everything you need.

Never the less drive there and back on every occasion with the entire load bay of a one tonne pick rammed to the max.

Supplement this with a 800litre roofbox without seemingly alleviating the situation in the load area at all.

Give up trying and accept that having a wife and child means the days of packing for a 4 week holiday on a motorbike are over.

Easy.
latest report
♫♪♫ Ta diddle de dee . . . I'm a happy di-vor-cee ♫♪♫ Laughing Most of this should be in the OCD thread.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy