Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Am I Ready?

Poster: A snowHead
I know its going to be hard to judge without any video, but ill try and capture some at the weekend when
I visit hemel.

I want to try and go For my BASI LvL 1, some of you may have read my thread about doing a season and earning my Quals or doing them individually and the majority of feedback fell toward putting the effort in and not the cash. so I intend to try and complete my BASI LvL 1 before the end of summer.

I just wanted to ask you guys if you think im ready. Puzzled

I am confident on all pisted runs. I can do Blacks with control, but quite slowly. I can maintain a good speed through reds even in bad conditions. (moguls/ice) I can perform a half descent carve leaving good lines behind on steep blues and some nice reds. Dont know how many of you are familiar with the UCPA levelling but next time I go out I will be joining the Expert group. (4/5)

The thing that has got me worried is BASI reccomend you have 16 weeks experience (seems a little high to me)
Whereas I have only ever skii'd two weeks. Sad

Any help would be great. Smile
Thanks guys
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BigMacB93, maybe have a quiet word with an instructor while your at Hemel, get their view while skiing?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BigMacB93, As gatecrasher says. Note that Hemel do pre-instructor training sessions, Tuesday evenings I think but they may do others. These give you an introduction to central theme and give you feedback on your current level and areas for development to meet the L1 requirements.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's got to be said, I'm frikkin' impressed that you're at expert level after only two weeks! You must be supremely talented.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zero-G, I'm looking forward to reaching "mostly harmless" level wink

BigMacB93, You need to be seen by an instructor/trainer. I've faffed around on snow a lot longer than you and I'm having a cautious thought about BASI, but I know I have to be seen by someone who knows what BASI are looking for in a L1 applicant and you need to be very realistic/humble about your abilities . . . and be prepared to be knocked back quite hard.
But good luck.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BigMacB93, I'm at Hemel this Sunday so I'll have a look if you want. I'm on the snow from 09:00 - 14:00 with a break from 12-1 pm. Will only be there until 3pm at the latest though.

With only two weeks experience it might be a bit early in your skiing career to take on L1 just yet, but you never know and just doing the course will bring on your skiing miles so you could look at doing that rather than a week in the alps this season. £ for £, it's probably better value for your long-term plans whether you pass or not.

BTW, being an instructor at L1 is not about being able to demonstrate perfect technique on a black run but you do want to be able to demonstrate perfect technique for short and long piste turns, be able to demo (slowly and precisely) all turn styles from snowplough up to parallel/carve, be good with people and have a genuine interest in learning and teaching.

PM me if you can make it on Sunday. It's the last weekend I'll be there for a while.

EDIT: added bold wording. So important to be a good learner to be able to be a good teacher!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 10-01-13 19:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

be able to demo (slowly and precisely) all turn styles from snowplough

I believe that there is more than one prospective instructor who has failed because of a very dodgy snowplough. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I believe that there is more than one prospective instructor who has failed because of a very dodgy snowplough.

The SP tells all
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BigMacB93, 16 weeks is a bit high IMO - I passed the L1 with about 10 weeks skiing, but I know people who have passed with 3 or 4 weeks.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My daughter came out of hers with "an awesome snowplough" (her words not mine)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I hugely admire the snowploughs you see piste rescuers doing, when they bring a sled down a steep piste. Quads of iron, perfect control. Cool
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, yup, they are the masters. Have seen a snowboarder do it too, equally as well controlled, a masterclass in sideslip.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BigMacB93 wrote:
BASI reccomend you have 16 weeks experience (seems a little high to me)

If more people turned up for their L1 / L2 course having actually done this, there would be far fewer dissapointed people at the end of those courses...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque wrote:
Zero-G, I'm looking forward to reaching "mostly harmless" level wink
You and me both!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zero-G wrote:
It's got to be said, I'm frikkin' impressed that you're at expert level after only two weeks! You must be supremely talented.

I had 4 lessons on a dry slope before I did my first week, and I had a bit of trial by fire, as I went out with my roomates on first day. (now keep in mind I had never skii'd real snow before) and was thrown straight onto a blue. I think the whole idea of make your way back or your stuck took away any sense of fear I may have had.

That and I've had really great instruction with UCPA both times.

I think from what you all have said, I need to book myself into an observation session.
Thanks for all the feedback guys.
latest report
Good luck BigMacB93 and let us know how you get on.
latest report
Zero-G,

Thank you
snow conditions
offpisteskiing wrote:
BigMacB93 wrote:

If more people turned up for their L1 / L2 course having actually done this, there would be far fewer dissapointed people at the end of those courses...

It's always seemed to me the 16 weeks requirement is (or at least should be) to ensure that you have had time to experience a variety of conditions, rather than whether or not you have the skills (although if you have the skills after just two weeks, you really must be a complete natural). Instructing surely isn't simply a mechanical exercise but also about the mountain environment

Personally I have rather more than 16 weeks under my belt and have probably taken more instruction than most, but I don't feel ready for L1. Either that, or I have a misplaced sense of where the standard for L1 is.
snow report
eng_ch wrote:
offpisteskiing wrote:
BigMacB93 wrote:

It's always seemed to me the 16 weeks requirement is (or at least should be) to ensure that you have had time to experience a variety of conditions, rather than whether or not you have the skills (although if you have the skills after just two weeks, you really must be a complete natural). Instructing surely isn't simply a mechanical exercise but also about the mountain environment

Definitely from L2 but L1 is only for indoor/dry slopes so by the time a L1 is ready to pass their L2 (which is an exponentially higher standard and only done in resort) they should have picked up that experience.

Quote:
Personally I have rather more than 16 weeks under my belt and have probably taken more instruction than most, but I don't feel ready for L1. Either that, or I have a misplaced sense of where the standard for L1 is.

You'd be surprised. Have a go if it's what you want to do. snowHead
snow conditions
eng_ch wrote:
but I don't feel ready for L1. Either that, or I have a misplaced sense of where the standard for L1 is.

Very possibly.
latest report
flowa wrote:
Quote:

Definitely from L2 but L1 is only for indoor/dry slopes so by the time a L1 is ready to pass their L2 (which is an exponentially higher standard and only done in resort) they should have picked up that experience.

But notwithstanding that an L1 only teaches indoors, they are still preparing their students to ski outdoors, so it seems to me the teacher should at least have some decent experience of what to expect "out there".
snow report
BigMacB93,

I will also be at Hemel all day Sunday. I have some lessons on main slope, but little in the way of breaks. What time are you thinking of skiing. flowa and I can even compare notes!!!!

PM me if you wish to discuss.
latest report
scooby_simon wrote:
BigMacB93,

I will also be at Hemel all day Sunday. I have some lessons on main slope, but little in the way of breaks. What time are you thinking of skiing. flowa and I can even compare notes!!!!

PM me if you wish to discuss.

Well one of you could at least video for the rest of us Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
anarchicsaltire, I can't help smiling at that wink
latest report
anarchicsaltire, Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing
ski holidays
I'd offer to help but I'm off to Italy on Sunday, tough I know. Toofy Grin

Maybe when I get back I'm happy to take a look.
ski holidays
All sounds great to me. Very Happy
ski holidays
eng_ch wrote:
But notwithstanding that an L1 only teaches indoors, they are still preparing their students to ski outdoors, so it seems to me the teacher should at least have some decent experience of what to expect "out there".

Exactly.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flowa wrote:
anarchicsaltire, Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing

Indeed !!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy