Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Must Have Tiroler Grostl

Poster: A snowHead
Skiing around St Anton soon and I love Tiroler Grostl.

Can anyone advise best mountain hut that offers Tiroler Grostl please.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Griabli do a good one. Cafe Sailer in town do a good one. I think most places do, even the places not in Tyrol - I've had good ones in Lech too Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The one in Taps is good too (all the food I've had there has been good actually)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The place just above the Nasserein chair was very good. We went there on Saturday when it was very quiet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all your advise, cannot wait to tuck into them. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I had a good one or 10 at the hotel in Stuben.

Yum yum.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wallyynot wrote:
Thanks for all your advise, cannot wait to tuck into them. Very Happy Very Happy

Make sure you ask for a fried egg on top, not everywhere does this unless you ask for it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
None of the huts in St Anton serve the traditional Tiroler Grostl.

Although it is often desribed as the leftovers (potato,pork) fried up with onions.

It is traditionally a Jager (hunters) dish. The meat should be sliced veal

The same goes for the sellout of Wienerschnitzel it is not really one unless the meat is veal.

Best place for the fake Tiroler Grostl is the Mooserwirt or RodelAlm.

For the real thing you should be able to ask (ring) RsstHaus Verwall. Its in the Verwall forest.
http://www.ferwall.info/restaurant.html
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:

Although it is often desribed as the leftovers (potato,pork) fried up with onions.

The same goes for the sellout of Wienerschnitzel it is not really one unless the meat is veal.

For the real thing you should be able to ask (ring) RsstHaus Verwall. Its in the Verwall forest.

I did not know that! Is the egg traditional or not?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton wrote:

What is used in the making of "Fake" Tiroler Grostl Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They do a great one in the Rodelalm restaurant, which is on skiers left of Red 24a about 300m from the bottom, it's slightly hidden by the trees as you ski down but if you go up the Nasserein bahn you'll go right over it.

I think it's only been there for two or three years, will worth a trip there for lunch.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wallyynot wrote:
stanton wrote:

What is used in the making of "Fake" Tiroler Grostl Puzzled Puzzled

Pork, as is the case with fake Wienschnitzel.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowgood wrote:
They do a great one in the Rodelalm restaurant, which is on skiers left of Red 24a about 300m from the bottom, it's slightly hidden by the trees as you ski down but if you go up the Nasserein bahn you'll go right over it.

I think it's only been there for two or three years, will worth a trip there for lunch.

Rodelalm has been there for donkeys years, it's a very nice spot. Also good for Scweineshax'n (excuse my spelling, there's no way I got that right).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sah, Have they done it up recently then, I found it last season and it seemed very new and modern?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton, Thanks for the link to the Ferwall Resturant, it looks great, hopefully make a visit next time I'm in town. Prost!
latest report
snowgood wrote:
sah, Have they done it up recently then, I found it last season and it seemed very new and modern?

Must have, it did look very shiny on the outside the other week. Didn't go in sadly Sad
snow conditions
snowgood,

If you go to the Ferwall don't let the owner pick the wine for you. I went there a few years ago and the wine was incredibly expensive and tasted awful. I won't be going back there in a hurry.
ski holidays
Thanks for the tip off welshflyer, I'll bear that in mind. Smile

sah, I was very impressed with the Rodelalm, went there 2 or 3 time last year for lunch, it gets busy though.
snow report
snowgood wrote:
Thanks for the tip off welshflyer, I'll bear that in mind. Smile

sah, I was very impressed with the Rodelalm, went there 2 or 3 time last year for lunch, it gets busy though.

I've written off more than one afternoon after pulling up there for lunch... to be fair only on warm spring days where it was getting too slushy anyway...
snow report
Can anyone tell me the nearest Mountain Hut from me being based in St Christoph please. I can taste it already and i still have two weeks to wait.
ski holidays
wallyynot wrote:
Can anyone tell me the nearest Mountain Hut from me being based in St Christoph please. I can taste it already and i still have two weeks to wait.

You can walk to the Hospiz Alm without even getting on a lift Happy
snow report
Even better thanks sah why go skiing Laughing
snow conditions
sah wrote:
wallyynot wrote:

You can walk to the Hospiz Alm without even getting on a lift Happy

And when you get to the Hospiz Alm you can go down to the toilets without using the stairs, they have a nice slide as an alternative... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
There's a lovely place in Kitzbühel that does a vegetarian one with potatoes, egg, onion and spinach. Nom nom!
ski holidays
Alastair Pink: Why is the Grostl that bad Laughing
latest report
sah, easily done! Especially in spring!

And wallyynot, when you've slid down to the toilet in the Hospiz Alm, if you're lucky and the door is open, have a look into their wine cellar, that's worth seeing! The door is on the left as you head to the toilet, it's a big steel bank safe type door with a nice painting on it.

Ps, you may need a stiff drink before you look at the top end of their wine list! Shocked

Enjoy!

I've just waxed my skies for the first time and the house is full of wax fumes Madeye-Smiley, off to Val d'Isere tomorrow evening on the eurostar, finally feel like I'm going now!

Wahoooooooo!

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Sounds like it's more than €5 a bottle ! Better raid the piggy bank.
snow report
Berghaus Stuben
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hospiz Alm don't do a Gröstl unfortunately. They do good ribs though.

Best Gröstl - Uncle Willi's on the Planai in Schladming
snow report
Definitely remember a fine fake grostl in Stuben (down some stairs off the Main Street that snakes through the village). Sadly, no idea what the place was called, so not sure how much use that is?!
latest report
The RodelAlm is one of the oldest mountain huts in St Anton. After the owner (farther) died a few years ago The family invested a few million to expand.

The Hospiz Alm is biggest most expensive fastfood joint in the Arlberg.
Everthing on the regular menu comes from a packet & is warmed up or deep fried. Folk just get sucked in by the ambience.
snow report
Will have to give the RodelAlm a visit while I'm there.

Whats the best route to get to it from St Christoph please.
snow report
wallyynot wrote:
Will have to give the RodelAlm a visit while I'm there.

Whats the best route to get to it from St Christoph please.

Ski down Steisbachtal (Happy Valley, run no. 4) from the top of the St Christophe chairlift, then take the Mattunbahn up to Gampen, then ski down Fang (24) towards Nasserein, it's on your left after about 200m. You might be able to access it from the blue run too, not sure where those runs cross. I think it's marked on the piste map these days, but it didn't used to be. If it's not it's still easy to find because it's at the top of the Rodelbahn, which is marked.
snow report
stanton wrote:

The Hospiz Alm is biggest most expensive fastfood joint in the Arlberg.
Everthing on the regular menu comes from a packet & is warmed up or deep fried. Folk just get sucked in by the ambience.

Agree there. If you've never been in it's worth stopping for a coffee to have a look round, but there are plenty of better places to eat, with better service too.
latest report
Tiroler Grostl AKA Herzananfall teller Skullie
snow conditions
wallyynot,

The Hospitz Alm also has one of the best stocked wine cellars in Austria.

The RodelAlm wasn't shown on last years (or older) piste maps.
snow conditions
stanton, as usual talking out of his backside about Tiroler Gröstl. The Gröstl made with Veal is actually called Nobleman/ Lord's or Innsbrucker Gröstl. The typical Tiroler Gröstl is a forester/farmer worker's dish and is made from the poorest cuts of beef and pork. High on fat and calories to give the workers the strength to do the jobs they had to do in winter!

Quote:
Das Tiroler Gröstl ist ein traditionelles österreichisches Pfannengericht, das normalerweise aus gekochten Kartoffeln und in Stücken geschnittenem Rind- oder Schweinefleisch (Schulter oder Schopf) besteht, das gemeinsam mit gehackter Zwiebel in Butterschmalz in einer Pfanne angeröstet wird. Gewürzt wird mit Salz, Pfeffer, Majoran, Kümmel und Petersilie.

Das Gröstl wird oft mit Spiegelei serviert.

Ähnliche Gerichte sind Blunzengröstl, Wurstgröstl und das Herren- oder Innsbrucker Gröstl, das mit Kalbfleisch zubereitet wird.

Tiroler Gröstl is a traditional Austrian pan-fried dish comprising normally of cooked potatoes and pieces of chopped beef or pork (shoulder or salted, not smoked ham). These are pan-fried with chopped onions in clarified butter. Seasoned with salt, pepper, marjoram caraway and parsley.
Gröstl is often served with a fried egg
Similar dishes are Blunzengröstl (Austrian black pudding), Wurstgröstl (sausage Gröstl) and Lord's or Innsbruck Gröstl which is prepared using veal.

In other words it is a cheap, filling peasant's dish like so many mountain recipes that the rich tarted up to make their more refined versions! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

stanton, as usual talking out of his backside about Tiroler Gröstl.

You mean stanton only talks out of his backside when he's talking about Gröstl? wink

That description seems non-committal about the egg, I really do have to insist that mine has an egg on top.

I like the sounds of Blunzengröstl, anyone seen that anywhere in the Arlberg?
latest report
stanton wrote:
Tiroler Grostl AKA Herzananfall teller Skullie

Especially if you follow your lunch with a quick descent of Fang in icy conditions Skullie Skullie
snow report
sah, Nah - talks out of his arse most of the time! wink Fantasy Island is his main address I believe Laughing At least that's the address on his Daily Fail deliveries. rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy