Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buried alive - an account

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Snowmobiler, caught in an avalanche at the weekend, says:

"I couldn't even open my hand. It's pitch black, you can't move. By the time they got air to me, I was pretty well blacking out.

"I always thought if you get buried, that you can move a bit. I'm a pretty big guy and I did everything I could to move, but I couldn't move a millimetre." [...]

Bentz and his buddies... were snowmobiling on 65-degree slopes around Mount Lucille, about 130 kilometres west of Jasper, when a section of snow broke away.

Stoppler said it didn't look as dangerous as other slopes they had been on, and there was no cornice, the overhang of snow that can start an avalanche.

"It knocked my sled sideways and I just hung on my sled, and I went down the hill about 200 yards. When I stopped, I was still on top of the snow and thought: 'That wasn't so bad,' and then another big wall of snow just came down on top of me."

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=c5a11a23-8fe7-4ae4-a3ad-a3d87d05e660

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 24-03-04 14:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can there be anything worse than the hell of being buried alive, unable to move? Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DavidS wrote:

Bentz and his buddies... were snowmobiling on 65-degree slopes around Mount Lucille, about 130 kilometres west of Jasper, when a section of snow broke away.

I suspect they mean 65% slopes, your snowmobile would fall straight off a 65 degree slope.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very frightening. As I thought, (re, earlier thread about avalanches on Channel 4) even if you have an 'Avalung' how do you reach it when you are buried under tons of snow?

Reminds me of the saying 'There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. But there are no old bold pilots' (also applies to skiers and snowmobilers etc). Prevention is better than cure I think.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the point with an avalung is that you put it on your mouth as soon as you feel the snow start to move - or even just because you're beginning to feel uneasy about the slope you're on.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DavidS, my wife would be reaching for hers every night Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy