Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

are all mountain skis possible?

Poster: A snowHead
Love the fact the Whitedot advert is on this screen.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gone now.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Monium wrote:

The only ski that didn't exist when I made my choice, and I think might be worth considering now, is something like the BBR 8.9 - if that had been around, I'd have put it on the shortlist to test at least. Plus they look cool. And I'd go and play with the Whitedots - the One seems closest to an allrounder to me.

I found the former still too compromised - too hooky on turns, and frankly not a precision thing on hard piste. That same weird turn initiation actually made them a bit of a liability in the trees. Also rewards skiing in the back seat and lazy edge behaviour. Very unstable at speed. Nice thing to punt about on at moderate speeds, though. Also, in Austrian spring slush, these were peerless - chop through/ski over absolutely anything.

I own the latter. I do love them - but they do very few things excellently. A blunt instrument on piste (they want to skid and swing you around, not carve) and dicey/unforgiving when it gets hard or steep. OK but not superb in powder. Chattery and unstable at proper speed - definitely have a speed limit. Weirdly though, I love them because they are huge fun in most conditions, even the piste - excellent for messing around, going backwards, and jumping. Superb in the park (which is I suspect what they were really designed for). And brilliant in the trees, for some reson. If you could describe skis as full of feel and playful, thats how to describe the WD Ones. A one quiver ski? Hell no.

If you're an amazing sklier, I'm sure you can get any ski to do anything. But I'm not - and I like to enjoy my day and work with my equipment, not feel that I'm exhaustedly bludgeoning it to my will.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 10-01-13 13:33; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

not one of my best but carve in pretty hard snow yes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
whoops sorry /\ Preachers Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
livetoski, Pah! NehNeh that's 'hero' snow wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque, Laughing Laughing rock solid ice mate wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Livetoski - no fair. You're an expert who runs a ski business and lives on the slopes, and posts youtube videos testing skis.

If I'd have tried that on a pair of Preachers, the "tracks" would be huge troughs of swept snow, abruptly curtailed by a head-shaped indent where I faceplanted.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a pair of all-mountain skis for this season (Scott Luna) – only on season hire so far, but I’m enjoying them and very tempted to pay the remainder and keep them at the end…

I’m under no illusions that they are perfect in any conditions but they are very good indeed for me – they’ve handled the little powder/off-piste I’ve done very well (any issues down to my technique, and fear leading me to go too slow) and made me wonder how much fun proper off-piste skis would be in the future.

They’ve been great on piste too on icier bits, on crud, on hardpack, and on nice softer groomed slopes. BUT I have noticed them being a lot harder to carve than the beginner, piste-only skis I was on last season. I could barely get them on edge when I first got them this season, but now I can carve them quite nicely.
The difference? More lessons and better technique. Last season I was basically ‘railing’, now I can do better, nicely controlled carves – and that’s got to be a good thing on any skis I’m on?!

So I like these skis – they won’t do much for me, but the better my technique gets, the better they are, and I’m finding that very rewarding indeed! And they are more than good enough for me on anything I’ve skied so far.

(Quiver envy to come in the future…!)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
livetoski, seen these yet:
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, yep look nice but I am a boot idiot I know nothing, I leave that up to Colin

I may run a ski business but I am sat in the office more times than not, if I was a real skier I would be doing this all the time Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/lu1ED-gtZcs
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
livetoski, you don't have to be mad to play with dynamite . . . etc. Toofy Grin yup wet-dream job Madeye-Smiley

Nice skiing, should be watched by a few here wink sweet tail surfing

Actually that illustrates this thread, the guy's on not very fat all mountain carvers, he's using tail weighting to keep the noses up and having a whale of a time. He has the technique . . . and far too much fun Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's the skier not the skis. I honestly ski better today off-piste on park skis than I did 3 years ago on powder skis. Try a few different skis, pick something and stick with it.

rob@rar wrote:
Jack of all trades, master of none sort of ski?

Why is this a bad thing? Not that any one skier could ever master a particular aspect of skiing but the same could be said about many skiers and this is something that I aim for in my own skiing (ie jack of all trades and ultimately that means a master of none).

In an ideal world I wouldn't mind having the luxury to chose a different ski for each day but in reality that ain't going to happen.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

any suggestions for a ski that works in powder, crud, slush, carving on piste AND hardpack.. not true shiny ice (does anything work on that stuff) but the hard stuff you can hardly dent with a pole?

Easy - the ski you are using at the time.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Elston wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Jack of all trades, master of none sort of ski?

Why is this a bad thing?
It's not a bad thing, it's just the way things are. Sometimes you will read enthusiastic reviews and it might seem as if a single ski can be master of all things, but I don't think that's the case. I think you can get skis which are less of a compromise than others (although this will vary as much with the skier as it does with the ski), but not a single ski which will excel in every condition and be as good as a dedicated ski in that category.
ski holidays
rob@rar, you're right the marketing stinks. Every time we went into s + r or ellis brigham last year it was bloody bbr this and bloody bbr that. It was ridiculous.

[edit: bloody grammar]

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 10-01-13 23:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
That's the real problem here, there are just too many virtually identically performing products and picking one is nothing more than a lottery and let's be truthful, unless you are a superb skier you will be hard pressed to chose one above another. You choose a ski and within half a minute you are already making small unconscious body adjustments to adapt for any little difference that one ski has for another and that's what makes a ski feel right or wrong. Once you are 'tuned' to a product the others may not feel so good or possibly much better.

That's why I've stopped saying you should get this or that or the other, it's pointless . . . just go rent, try and learn until you step into a ski with the skills needed to ride it and say 'YES' this is the one for me.

Everything else is marketing and we all know which hole that usually blows out of.
snow report
I've stopped demoing and renting before I buy. I just base it on the skis stats now.

I can't remember the last time I was on a bad ski.
latest report
I've given up, my head is in a mess after 48 hours of continous research...

I have now decided for the one with the coolest graphics Razz

Don't care how it performs as long as I look cool walking around with it.
latest report
Ryan_w, winner!
snow report
Ryan_w, Top choice, best decision on snowHeads yet Toofy Grin Now to be REALLY cool . . . put some telemark bindings on them Twisted Evil
snow conditions
i don't know about the dimensions of my skis but theyre something like 85 underfoot and maybe 120 at each end. Turning radius of 18-19m i think in the 178mm length. They have a standard camber rather than any clever rocker shape. The camber isn't extreme (maybe 2 cm between the skis at the binding when they are together base to base). They are very similar dimensions to the previous skis i owned which were also good all round the mountain even though they were branded as pipe skis. I think this kind of shape will do you for almost everything well.
snow report
Ryan_w wrote:
I've given up, my head is in a mess after 48 hours of continous research...

I have now decided for the one with the coolest graphics Razz

Don't care how it performs as long as I look cool walking around with it.

Good man. Get a neon one piece and one of those stromtrooper helmets, and you're rockin'
snow report
Harry Flashman, SnowHeads is a 'Gapper Free Zone' Evil or Very Mad don't be cruel Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Ryan_w, just make sure they match your boots, eh? We wouldn't want to see any nasty '80s colour clashes.
latest report
Masque wrote:
Harry Flashman, SnowHeads is a 'Gapper Free Zone' Evil or Very Mad don't be cruel Twisted Evil

I wasn't! It's how I dress, after all... Wink
snow report
riverwhy wrote:
interesting topic.. i've been skiing on icelantic pilgrims for the past few years, with 3degree edges. They are brilliant on everything except that icy hard pack on the steep reds & blacks, where they have trouble getting a grip. This has led to me taking a pair of atomic race skis for those conditions, but it would be nice to just have one pair of skis to cart about instead of 2. Someone please let me know when the genuine all-mountain do everything ski is invented Madeye-Smiley

This will be my fifth season skiing Pilgrims and I ski them everywhere and on any conditions. On steep hardpack, you do need a more exaggerated lateral ankle angulation (if that's the correct way to describe it). I also have the Whitedot Director, which to me feel like slightly fatter, rockered Pilgrims. They handled really well in hard conditions on that narrow black run that goes from the top of Brevent down to the valley.
snow report
Well I've got neon green trousers, bright yellow boots, now thinking neon pink siks to finish the look...... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

all pistes, all conditions, off piste & bumps in good to fair conditions, no actual racing but carving on piste.

I've done all that on a pair of K2 Apache Recons, they edge well, turn (even on ice) reasonably quickly and cut it in light to medium off-piste. Later in the season I'm going to see if the Preachers can cut it as a 70/30 OP/OnP ski and I'm going to be using Lormes, Lines and CoreUPTs to compare to the K2's next week (with some Redeemers on the side). The reason for all this is I'm trying to find a compromise ski other than the K2's - which I like but feel are keeping me from upping my game a little. Like Monium, says, you ain''t going to get one ski to do everything as well as as several dedicated purpose skis in their environment - it's just physics.

That said, I am pretty sure that if I was as super fit as I used to be, I could compensate with skill and muscle for the short comings of any all-mountain ski in any environemnt so my tip is forget the kit and work on yourself if you want to 'have it all' wink
latest report
It's been done to death - obviously there is no real one ski quiver but for certain places and/or certain users who know what they can compromise on you can get pretty close. Most people obsess too much about whether they've got the right ski or if a better one is round the corner. Answer is good enough and no (unless you'r eon Salomons wink )
snow conditions
Harry Flashman wrote:

I really wouldn't buy Preachers as a one quiver ski. Excellent things, but they are unwieldy on piste and not carvey on steep, hard stuff.

Each to their own ... I wouldn't consider anything other than the Preacher for a one-quiver ski wink
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
It's been done to death - obviously there is no real one ski quiver but for certain places and/or certain users who know what they can compromise on you can get pretty close. Most people obsess too much about whether they've got the right ski or if a better one is round the corner.

I've no personal experience to know whether I'm just being superstitious or not but I still reckon that 'all mountain' needs caveating to exclude 'rocker'. I skied about 150 miles of mixed piste and a few miles of freshies on (conventionally profiled) Crusairs with Dynafits a couple of weeks ago and despite their light weight touring aspirations, they worked a charm, even on hardpack and frozen mornings. I wouldn't trust them in certain defensive situations if they'd been designed with 1/2 their edge lengths poking skywards so had the effective metal on snow contact of a pair of snowblades.
latest report
No one mentioned the head monsters?
snow report
Recently got a pair of 185 Nordica Soul Riders as my everyday ski, 97mm underfoot, trad sidecut (18m radius i think), camber underfoot, rockered tips. Only skied them for one day so far, but they were great, dealt well with heavy (fresh) snow, slush and concrete all in one day, carve better than the 92mm Big Troubles they're replacing, much better on un-groomed stuff too. Could maybe be a wee bit stiffer for crud (think they'll be more of a dancer than 'stand on them and smash through) like the BTs), but the flex is very nice for bumps, fresh and slush.

And the have a skeleton wearing a sombrero and playing maracas for graphics.
snow report
So reading this thread would suggest there's a technical ski-related reason why I'm not good at slushy conditions (I tend to stop dead and sink!). My skis are heavy piste skis, great at hardpack and icy conditions, but when it was seriously warm last season I struggled to keep up. I thought it was just my lack of technique... wink
snow report
moffatross, your understanding of rocker is a bit dated. A ski like you define as having 'rocker' would better be described as reverse cambered. There are lots of way more modestly rockered skis floating around. For example this would be a good "all mountain ski" for a relatively strong, athletic skier that skis mostly off-piste:

http://k2skis.com/skis/adventure/sidestash-1213
snow report
queen bodecia, more likely wax and you are a little 'Amazonian' . . . Little Angel Lots of us judder to a halt in slush, lots of reasons for it especially 'stiction' .
ski holidays
Quote:

So reading this thread would suggest there's a technical ski-related reason why I'm not good at slushy conditions (I tend to stop dead and sink!). My skis are heavy piste skis, great at hardpack and icy conditions, but when it was seriously warm last season I struggled to keep up. I thought it was just my lack of technique...

No its down to the skis, the vid below was in plus 20 degrees c late afternoon, and really hot, there was about three to four snowboards out and me, no way was I doing 40 mph plus on skis trying to keep up with my mate on a snowboard who lives in resort, and by the way this was the red run which was built for the French team to train on for the Albertville Olympics back in the day.

http://youtube.com/v/MYX7hmoj59g
ski holidays
meh wrote:
moffatross, your understanding of rocker is a bit dated. A ski like you define as having 'rocker' would better be described as reverse cambered. There are lots of way more modestly rockered skis floating around. For example this would be a good "all mountain ski" for a relatively strong, athletic skier that skis mostly off-piste:

http://k2skis.com/skis/adventure/sidestash-1213

+1

A 'real' all-mountian ski should have at least tip rocker.
snow report
livetoski, nice run, yer mate's sweet and loose over that board . . . I need a week or two in St Foy one on skis and one on a board to brush out the cobwebs.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy