Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Coach to the Alps-what have I let myself in for?

Poster: A snowHead
WayneC wrote:
I'm with Spannah, we were halfway to Dover from Victoria Stn on our second coach trip when I asked why are we doing this again, we're not poor... It did get us a third trip that year with 3 days w/e skiing though...

Remembering our first trip, we paid for extra leg room, which helped as we took our seats, unfortunately the bruisers behind us hadn't and kneed us in the back every 10 mins every time they moved. If you've got to do it, as others have said, forget the blow up neck pillow and take a real one.

Or just forget buying an iPad and filling it with movies and pay for a flight...

Totally agree. I did it for my first ever ski trip and it nearly put me off skiing full stop.

It just isn't much more to fly and comparing 6 hours for transfer, boarding and flight with the 18 hours I spent on a coach back from La Plagne, it really is a no brainer.

Is anyone that poor that they need to save £50 on a skiing holiday?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bar shaker wrote:

Could you get within £50 of £369 for this with flights (and transfers) at Easter? http://www.igluski.com/morzine/chalet-club-les-gourmets_p31057?holidayid=47221046

I seriously considered it for the three of us. Then decided I didn't want to ski the day after a sleepless night, so didn't bother. I spent the best part of 9 hours on a coach trying to get from Friedrichshafen (diverted from Innsbruck) to Arabba a few weeks ago, and that was bad enough.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One option on a long coach trip is to join The Metre High Club !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was cured of coach at 18, when I took the Magic bus London to Athens, 63hrs, 4 coaches. I had just sat down when the seat next to me was filled by a tattooed geezer from Hemel H, who eased his trainers off to release an odour that was probably manufactured at Porton Down. 63 hrs ! The Greek section drivers shared the route, sleeping on the back seat ( I was still of that age where I felt it was the best place to be ) and changing drivers as they drove along Yugoslavian ravine edges at 60mph. The owner driver used to jump up from the back whenever the junior driver mashed the gears, and run down and hit him round the head, John Cleese style. Mind you, we were all best mates by the end of it, due to the shared experience. Happy days !.... Then I had to do the reverse journey a few months later rolling eyes Best of luck
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I still think we should hijack one of FtS's pantechnicons, sling in a kitchen and BBQ, mega size porta potty and 30 bunks . . . take the chalet to the Alps.

edit: forgot the big fridge and bar
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Grizwald, You may have no choice of seat if its with interski, I'm doing my first trip next week and have an allocated seat which appears to be in the middle, havent gone by coach before but as its my first week instructing I thought I would see what it was like, if i dont manage it without killing a kid I may fly next time and jump on the bus at the airport and do a two or three week stint
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
blahblahblah wrote:
Boris wrote:
I love threads like this, just reminds me of why we always drive

Or fly.

Nope the threads about weighing luggage and various airports also make me glad I drive

Each to their own of course, but for me tis the car everytime
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Curtains, Which resort are you going to? No one sticks to the seating plan by all accounts. If I had to the coach isn't full by a good few seats so would take the entire back seat in that case Twisted Evil

The coach isn't about money for me just would rather do the coach than travel on my tod flying etc.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My last 3 trips have been coach, drive, coach. Yes the coach could be more comfortable but with the right pills its not too bad. An overnight coach means I don't have to get up at 4a.m and waste most the day traveling, I've no fear of the coach getting cancelled, delayed, sent to another country or my beloved snowboard going temporalily missing, all of which have happened to me in the last few years. Oh and it's cheaper? Well thats just a bonus.

That said I'm flying to Geneva for a long weekend in Cham next month, I'm just hoping I dont get a harsh reminder of why I haven't flown for a bit.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Did it once, never ever again!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^ +1

In fact I never even went in a coach again.

Grizwald, you'd be better off cycling or hitching a lift.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One year our ski group organiser, fed up with increasing complaints about cost, decided to go for a coach holiday. 21 people agreed to try it, 3 (including me) said we would rather stick pins in our eyes and organised flights.

On the way back, there were 2 spare seats on the coach and 2 extra flyers (at considerable expense!)

The next year, no-one mentioned coaches, nobody complained about the cost. Everyone flew! Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bar shaker wrote:

No but I'll claim that £50+ and still be skiing for 2 extra days while your back at work! wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gatecrasher wrote:
bar shaker wrote:

No but I'll claim that £50+ and still be skiing for 2 extra days while your back at work! wink

£50... That's what I paid to upgrade from a raffle prize for a free weekend to a full week catered by coach (smug mode, sorry Embarassed ) It was a trip for one , but thankfully I've got a couple of friends to come along as well. Not done the coach thing before. Will report back. One of our party hasn't skied for 30 years but did manage 2 hours on Avon dry slope today without breaking himself Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Did 20 years of school ski trips by coach from Scotland plus 4 or 5 Snowcoach - none school. No problems, just watch lots of films (in early days videos, later DVD). Kids all sat quietly watching films all the way and wore their seat belts! I was known as 'Psycho' as my surname is BATES - kids did what they were told!
Set off early morning, take packed lunch, evening meal on ferry, sleep overnight, Interski breakfast at motorway services, in resort for lunch. On return leave after dinner, watch a couple of films, sleep, breakfast on ferry, lunch stop half-way up England, home for tea.
snow report
Quote:

Misery
ski holidays
By the time you get to the M25 you will be trying to get off. That's after 6 hours on the M6 and M40.
ski holidays
gatecrasher wrote:
bar shaker wrote:

If I want to ski for two extra days, I will book a flight that leaves 2 days later.

When we leave the resort, you will arrive home the day after me, suffering from sleep deprivation and a bad back.
latest report
achilles wrote:
Quote:

Misery

Looking at the replies I think that depends on whether he's a soft buttocked wuss or not.
snow report
I traveled in Ski Olympic coach once . . . stretched out bliss. Couldn't fault it at all. Incredibly smooth Van Hool double decker and if that were the choice I'd do it every time the same way.
ski holidays
Snow Hound wrote:
achilles wrote:
Quote:

Misery

Looking at the replies I think that depends on whether he's a soft buttocked wuss or not.

That could lead to further problems.......
snow conditions
bar shaker wrote:
gatecrasher wrote:
bar shaker wrote:

If I want to ski for two extra days, I will book a flight that leaves 2 days later.

When we leave the resort, you will arrive home the day after me, suffering from sleep deprivation and a bad back.

Of course....but the only reason I endure all this suffering, is because I generally find my 8 days skiing by couch cheaper than a 6 day ski trip by air....I'll put up with the suffering! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

I generally find my 8 days skiing by couch cheaper than a 6 day ski trip by air....I'll put up with the suffering!

Indeed. To hear some people moan you'd think it was 5 month across the Gobi Desert on a 3 legged camel. rolling eyes Just spoilt, folks these days.
snow report
gatecrasher, And how long does it take to get there by couch? Unless.....

pam w, I'm starting to look forward to the adventure......
snow conditions
Grizwald, no idea, coz I'm asleep! Laughing
snow conditions
If you have alcohol in your 'hold' baggage, it needs to be well hidden and not look like alcohol, especially if you're travelling with students. The ferry companies are cracking down on drunk students and are searching coaches and removing alcohol from the hold of the coaches parked in the coach bit of the ferry.

This is from an email sent out by our SU ski trip organisers.
latest report
Grizwald, off to La Thuile, as I have to jump on a coach with schollos I think they have allocated numbers as they pick other schools up on the way down
latest report
Take a sleeping bag, doss on the floor.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
step on the faces of the selfish tossers dossing on the floor
ski holidays
One of the trips I did - Snowcoach I think - you could go and sit and have a mug of tea and a bacon roll from about 4 am. Brilliant. snowHead
snow report
For best ZZZZ Zopiclone.
snow report
pam w, I went on the snowcoach one time where there was only 14 people on the outgoing trip, we could all lie down.. Very Happy

The last one I went on had fully reclining almost horizontal seats where the footrest pops out automatically, slept like a baby!
snow conditions
Curtains, We've only the one school on our bus, I'll be claiming that front seat and if someone wants to/can move me they're welcome to try Twisted Evil

This time next week I'll be lucky to be south of Manchester-ferry is at 10. Not really bothered about drinking whilst travelling. A group of us were delayed on the coach at Innsbruck last March while waitng for a delayed flight to get in. Allot of booze was consumed that otherwise wouldnt have been. We all bought some spirits to see us throuh the week and they never saw the chalet..... Never skied with a hangover like it, in fact never had a hangover like it! My skiiing regressed back 20 years. Was still awesome though. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Well I'm back, will type up a Trip report in the relevant section but had a great weeks skiing in great conditions.

So the coach trip. Nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. On the way out the worst thing was the bus was just way too much ahead of schedule, e.g. we'd arrive at one service station only to have to wait over an hour for one passenger/instructor. All in all we set off at least 2 hours too early. The bus was comfy and not rammed so was lucky to get 2 seats to myself in each direction-the way back was actually better as I slept much more, and as everyone was already on the bus so minimal fuss or time wasted getting them off. We got there in good time and I got half a days skiing in on the Sunday which I didn't expect.

So +'s

* You can take as much luggage as you like within reason i.e. No worrying about weight and could take multiple pairs of skis
* No lugging around luggage i.e. once it's on the bus you don't have to handle it again until you arrive
*For 6'4" me I found it more comfortable than a plane, I wouldn't say I got a good nights sleep but found it easier to nod off than on a plane

-'s

*There's no disputing it's slower than flying, even for me who lives 3 hours away from an airport.
*You arrive back on a Sunday vs a Saturday flying (as is usual on a package with one or 2 exclusions) so recovery time before getting back to reality
*Loooooong trip made even longer by allowing too much contingency time-I reckon we could have shaved 4 hours off and still made the ferry. The coach driver gettting done for speeding in France didn't help either!

I wouldn't be put off doing it again by coach and it really wasn't bad at all IMO. If I lived down south it would be much more viable-it took us a mere 12 hours to get to Dover which should take 6 at a guess? Having said all that come ski holiday booking time flying will continue to be the first avenue I'll explore Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
step on the faces of the selfish tossers dossing on the floor

hahaha. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
If you take the coach and don't weigh what I weigh now, then I'd take a hammock. In the past a few of us used to string up across the aisles so that the remaining bods could stretch out on the seats. Mind you, we were Army so no one argued. Not sure how it would go down on a civvie wagon.

I also developed an alternative which I really liked. It was a sort of hammock seat/nest made out of a sheet of synthetic silk and para cord which supported you all round the upper body but let your legs dangle. I hooked it up to a flat hook/'beener/rope arrangement and there were few places I couldn't string it up in 30 secs - saved me no end of trouble at airports/ferries/train terminals, etc. Especially nice for trees!

At the end of the day, I still think the train is the best option where possible, especially if you travel overnight. The Snowtrain is constantly booked out almost as soon as it goes on sale - that alone should tell you something.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy