Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Coach to the Alps-what have I let myself in for?

Poster: A snowHead
On Sunday my mate who works a couple of weeks a season as instructor for Interski suggested I should get myself along. I had the money and the leave so thought why not and 24 hrs later was booked to go.

I had considered flying myself out and meeting him over there to avoid a god knows how many hour bus journey, but reasoned I'd go with the flow rather than travel alone. Plus I live in the back and beyond so the usual ski trip normally consists of a 3 hour trip to Manchester, 2 hours in the airport, flight time, transfer the other end which adds up.

It's probably not too bad those who travel from down south but I have a mere 7-8 hours without stops before I'll even see the white cliffs. I'm used to flying longhaul and will have spent more time on a plane than I will on this trip. One bonus is we'll be the first on the bus so can hopefully have our pick of the seats, I was thinking up front. I have a week and a half to buy any long haul coach survival items, I have the usual gadgets that can help put time in, tablet, laptop, kindle, etc is there anything else that any seasoned coach travellers can recommend other than lots of medication?! Skullie

Being 6'4" probably won't help either.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grizwald, 6'4" on a double deck Van Hool you'll need downstairs front, anything else, backrow middle Twisted Evil Do you know what the coach is? you can sometimes google and find seat layouts and or pics.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Masque, I'd thought about back row middle but the coach will mainly be filled with teenagers, who I suspect may gravitate to the back if they're anything like 'when I was a lad'. It's a local to me coach company, don't think it's a DD but would expect a bog.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
More bottled water than you think you could possibly need. Sleeping tablets.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Grizwald, Did a few seasons in the 80's with Interski!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Defo buy one of those silly blow-up neck pillows. Plus 2 litres of vodka and loadsa coca cola. make sure you've got plenty of pre-packed pork pies, sausage rolls, cornish pasties,................. so you don't need to buy anything en-route. Possibly a good idea to get a few packs of seasick/paracetamol/morphine so as to get comatose for best part of the 24 hour dash to pila/courmayeur. best tip..................................... try to get a seat at the front of the coach if it is a single decker (leg room), or at the back lower deck if it's a double decker (looking forward, leg room, away from other peoples screaming kiddies). NEVER get a seat within 50 feet of the chemical loos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your skiing in Val d'Aosta.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimastaaah, Cheers, due to my size (not just height but width Shocked ) in the past I've struggled flying and years ago tried to dope myself. I was a slavering idiot for the duration but had full recollection of everything that was going on around me..... I'm pretty sure it's a single decker, my mate can prob confirm, says it's plush for a coach though. I will just embrace the adventure, last time I went on a coach was when I was about 4 to Spain.

Looking at noise cancelling headphones and travel pillows. I loose on average 2 of those u shaped pillow per year might invest in one of the bigger inflatable jobbies. Will certainly pre-stock up on supplies and plenty of water pam w, drinking booze always seems a good idea until you sober up, keeping topped up for 24hrs would be some going Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
An electronic device loaded with the full Alex Rider series. Some toe clippers to ****off the other passengers Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't travel back with a life-threatening hangover.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grizwald, I've done it from Cumbria with Reays when I was a Rep. MP3 player, neck pillow, bottled water and either a book or a Kindle (or equivalent) or iPad with books on it but if it is an iPad with mobile phone connectivity, go to 'settings' and turn off the roaming or at least put it into Airplane mode in the 'settings' menu.
iPad or Kindle is better than a book as you can put lots of books on it, and read it by its own light at night.
Enjoy. It isn't as bad as you might expect
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have you ever been on a bus, and then a weirdo gets on and you think "ohpleasenotmeohpleasenotmeohpleasenotmeohpleasenotmeohpleasenotmeAAAGHNOHESATNEXTTOME"?

Be that weirdo. You'll have a great time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Grizwald, yikes... on a coach wiv kiddies Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

read it by its own light at night.

you need a separate light to read a Kindle in the dark. Well, the original Kindle, at any rate. the new one seems to have a flash screen and accordingly short battery life; might give up before you get there. wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Speaking as someone with a 36" inside leg, if there is a fire exit, usually towards the back on the left a row or two forward of the back, nab that.
More legroom there than anywhere except middle of back seat which usually would mean either, you are next to the (blocked) loo or, that you will have teenagers getting past you every 5 mins. Added bonus that if need be there is enough room to curl up on the floor for a snooze! Very Happy
If your worried about being close to the loo? A dab of vicks might be advisable!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JohnHSmith, I'll also be travelling with Reays!

Sorry forgot to reply to your PM but guess this answer that too.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Grizwald, no worries. Drivers were good. Both keen skiers. It was comfortable enough
snow conditions
Shed load of ear plugs, your own pillow & blanky, back of coach is awful, bounces around and slides all over the place if on snow.
ski holidays
Definitely ear plugs and anything that helps you block out other people. I found a kindle, iPod, blanket and pillow useful too.

Please come back and tell us how far you were into the journey when you said never again - I don't think we'd left Victoria Coach Station when I'd come to that conclusion.
ski holidays
I have done the coach a couple of times now. Best advice is dont sleep for 24 hours before getting on the coach. You will spend most of journey getting 1-2 hour's sleep then awake for 10-20 mins, (rinse and repeat). That way you should also be fresh for when you arrive.

Just got back from Tignes in fact, on a supply coach, (too many people going new years week apparently?!) Awful coach, every seat taken, and the leg room!.. Well non-existent. but I survived and im no worse off for it.

Like most people have said, take an Ipad with a couple of films on it, an Ipod with a chilled out playlist, one of the old neck pillow's (a godsend), some snack's (best to take stodgy, filling ones) and it goes without saying really, WEAR COMFY CLOTHES!!
snow conditions
forget those crap blow up pillows. take a real one and get a window seat. a fleece blanket. can get cold.

I travelled to Chamonix by coach, had been dreading the journey but it wasn't too bad

talking books on you iPod are good. you get into the story and time flies by
snow conditions
Thanks for all the replies. Will comment on individual points when i'm at my laptop rather than on my phone. I was looking at kind of a wrap around inflatable pillow that supplies your head, neck, and body. I never seem to be able to sleep on planes so i'm not expecting this to be any different. I suspect it will be worse coming back with no skiing to look forward to at the end of the trip!
latest report
Supports your head....
snow conditions
Grizwald, Tbh, the trip home is usually just a blur, so knackered I just zonk out...my only memory is.... winding way down the mountain......blank.....waking up at Calais with dribble all over the place....
ski holidays
Quote:

filled with teenagers, who I suspect may gravitate to the back if they're anything like 'when I was a lad'

ah - "Run to the Back". Used to enjoy our back seat initiation at the start of the school year Twisted Evil . The first years soon learned their place on the bus Wink

No sideways seats on a coach, so shouldn't be an issue, and at 6ft4 they won't argue.

I'd go for back row middle, and all the stuff above about keeping warm.
ski holidays
gatecrasher wrote:
Grizwald, Tbh, the trip home is usually just a blur, so knackered I just zonk out...my only memory is.... winding way down the mountain......blank.....waking up at Calais with dribble all over the place....

I wish! I spent most of my journey trying not to drown in my own tears... Sad
latest report
Did a coach to Tignes with UCPA last year. It was an awful coach to be fair - non-reclining seats, definitely not a long-distance machine. The only thing that I fault the TO, Action Outdoors, for. I'm only 5'9", so I feel for you...

Essentials:

- water, lots of it
- snacks of your preference. You'll stop for these, but you may be asleep
- earplugs, a couple of pairs in case you drop one mid-journey
- fully charged iPad with movies, music and books on the Kindle App
- Nytol or similar sleeping aid
- warm extra socks, so you can remove shoes but still be warm
- wooly hat, in case your balding bonce gets cold (may just be my issue...)
- Ibuprofen for the hangover on the way back

Coach Etiquette
- try not to look too disappointed when a hulking 6.5" bodybuilder takes the seat next to you, squashing you into a corner
- fart silently, and not violently. If a bit of a honker, look accusingly at your neighbour. Do not mouth "too many protein shakes" at the girl looking at the pair of you disgustedly
- do not get (repeatedly) busted gazing dreamily at the fantastic jubblies of the honey sitting across you in the isle. Doubly do not get busted doing this by her boyfriend.
- do not spend the latter half of the journey befriending the squaddies sat behind you and drinking large amounts of beer with them. This will result in you spending your week skiing, drinking and partying with them. Which will break you.

I hope this all helps
latest report
Take a proper pillow. Blanket/sleeping bag is nice too. Thick socks if not. Hat or hoody pulled up is nice as it cussions your head from the window.
Eye mask, ear plugs (x3), sleeping aid.
iPod / iPad whatever entertainment
Water & snacks

I always found a small bag was useful to put the essentials like that in so you don't have to keep getting up to the overhead space to find your water.
snow conditions
Ideal coach sleeping position: Put a very full rucksack on your lap, place a NORMAL pillow on top, sleep leaning your head on the pillow. Slept pretty much the whole way back from Tignes to Calais this way in December, made it a very easy journey. Can add earphones if you need to block out the noise of others on the coach

Also bring plenty of sandwiches and fruit, nothing worse than having just crisps and other junk food on a long coach journey.
snow conditions
I love threads like this, just reminds me of why we always drive
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boris wrote:
I love threads like this, just reminds me of why we always drive

Or fly.
snow conditions
enfilade wrote:

Also bring plenty of sandwiches and fruit, nothing worse than having just crisps and other junk food on a long coach journey.

A few things worse than having hula hoops.

Coach crashes.
You get chronic diarrhoea.
Someone else gets diarrhoea.
Get stuck with weirdo who talks whole way and smells like a dog biscuit.
Person next to you has the smelliest snacks in the world.
Coach breaks down, toilet gets blocked etc.
snow report
I'm with Spannah, we were halfway to Dover from Victoria Stn on our second coach trip when I asked why are we doing this again, we're not poor... It did get us a third trip that year with 3 days w/e skiing though...

Remembering our first trip, we paid for extra leg room, which helped as we took our seats, unfortunately the bruisers behind us hadn't and kneed us in the back every 10 mins every time they moved. If you've got to do it, as others have said, forget the blow up neck pillow and take a real one.

Or just forget buying an iPad and filling it with movies and pay for a flight...
snow conditions
blahblahblah wrote:
enfilade wrote:

A few things worse than having hula hoops.

Coach crashes.
You get chronic diarrhoea.
Someone else gets diarrhoea.
Get stuck with weirdo who talks whole way and smells like a dog biscuit.
Person next to you has the smelliest snacks in the world.
Coach breaks down, toilet gets blocked etc.

You have found a few flaws in my statement, the ones I have highlighted I have experienced, not at all pleasant.
ski holidays
Only time I ever took a coach to ski was to Andorra as a student - took hours and the coach broke down in the pass between France and Andorra (turned out the muppet coach company had not put anti-freeze in the rad). At this point we found out the road had been closed at both ends due to the high winds and dangerous conditions. The other muppets - the trip arrangers - then started ferrying people four at a time to Pas de La Casa in a hatchback. After two + hours the coach was turning into a fridge and I'd had enough. I got out and humped it 5 miles uphill to the checkpoint in gale force winds and driving snow. When I hit Andorra a rather stunned looking border guard put his book down, stared down the closed road over the shut barrier, cracked open his window about 1cm and asked 'Anglais?'. I nodded, he shut the window and waived me on. It was only when I got to the bar where they were corralling all the passengers that I realised that a selection process had been going on. The (male) trip arranger reps had been cherry-picking only women from the coach then taking it in turns to do the pick-ups enabling them to alternate time in the bar with their grateful, all female rescuees. Every time the reps switched over it took 5-10 minutes for them to arrange it as they compared notes. Meanwhile all the blokes were slowly freezing to death in the coach. We found out later that the reps both had cars that night but decided that only using one was the best solution .....

Don't go by coach.
snow conditions
^ although it's funny remembering it now wink

I've coached it twice, once to Les Arcs and once to Valmeinier. Both times I said never again, the journey lasted forever. Think how boring and tiring a 3-hour transfer to resort is, then quadruple it.

The sleeper coach with 'beds' was my most uncomfortable night ever. 4 feet is not long enough for an adult to sleep in!

Good luck!
latest report
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
Only time I ever took a coach to ski was to Andorra as a student - took hours and the coach broke down in the pass between France and Andorra (turned out the muppet coach company had not put anti-freeze in the rad). At this point we found out the road had been closed at both ends due to the high winds and dangerous conditions. The other muppets - the trip arrangers - then started ferrying people four at a time to Pas de La Casa in a hatchback. After two + hours the coach was turning into a fridge and I'd had enough. I got out and humped it 5 miles uphill to the checkpoint in gale force winds and driving snow. When I hit Andorra a rather stunned looking border guard put his book down, stared down the closed road over the shut barrier, cracked open his window about 1cm and asked 'Anglais?'. I nodded, he shut the window and waived me on. It was only when I got to the bar where they were corralling all the passengers that I realised that a selection process had been going on. The (male) trip arranger reps had been cherry-picking only women from the coach then taking it in turns to do the pick-ups enabling them to alternate time in the bar with their grateful, all female rescuees. Every time the reps switched over it took 5-10 minutes for them to arrange it as they compared notes. Meanwhile all the blokes were slowly freezing to death in the coach. We found out later that the reps both had cars that night but decided that only using one was the best solution .....

Don't go by coach.

Brilliant! HaHa Very Happy
snow report
I know that from where I live, that it's cheaper to fly than to drive to the alps.

I haven't looked into trains.

How much is the coach fare?
ski holidays
I've done two return trips by coach, to Valmeinier and La rosiere (Snowcoach and ski Olympic respectively). They were fine. Nothing ghastly happened, we were dropped right outside our accommodation with all the luggage. We were a family of 5, 3 kids, and saved a useful amount over flying. No more uncomfortable than long haul to N America. Not sure why people make such a fuss, really. But N of England to Italy is a bit of a schlep....
ski holidays
I did this a couple of times while at University in Nottingham via Kings Ski club, a 24 hour journey each way

It wasn't too bad, given the excitement on the way out and the exhaustion on the way back, but I'm not sure I could do it now.

However on one of the trips, as we were loading the coach in Nottingham, the coach seemed rather too full, and bags were being shoved under legs, in the aisles, etc, which would have been terrible for a 24 hour trip. When we got to Folkestone for the ferry, the drivers informed us that their boss had thrown a wobbly since the coach was overloaded and was travelling illegally. Therefore they had no option but to let us all off at Folkestone with our luggage, and it was up to the tour operator to organise coaches in Boulogne to take us the rest of the way. Bearing in mind it would be about 11pm by the time we would arrive at Boulogne, we were anticipating a cold night standing in the docks in France.

After a very nervous ferry crossing we disembarked......to find two French coaches waiting for us the other side. Phew!
latest report
Enjoying all the anecdotes. I'm pretty sure I've paid close too if not cost price with my later inclusion. effectively a Weeks skiing, with lift pass, insurance, all meals (even lunch) for <£400. I never asked what dropping the coach would have done to the price, I reasoned that as my nearest airport is 3 hours away Id probably prefer travelling with my mate of 20 odd years over flying. The crazier thing perhaps is I've just spent more on a pair of headphones than the cost of a flight rolling eyes
snow conditions
Quote:

The crazier thing perhaps is I've just spent more on a pair of headphones than the cost of a flight

I think that is the definiton of at what point you take a coach rather than fly, regardless of the cost of the coach.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy