Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Selva risky for end March skiing?? Rather go somewhere else in Europe??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Considering Selva for end of March. Is it going to be a risk with regards to snow conditions? Have been once before, but in January and then perfect conditions. Should I rather consider other places in Europe for late March skiing? Any advice much appreciated!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was there (Arabba) a couple of weeks ago and said to our ski instructor that we might be back to the area for Easter. He just laughed and said "I hope you like walking". Which surprised (and disappointed) us quite a bit!

I'm sure someone will be along with some proper experience of the area at that time of year though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We went 16th March last year and would do so again no problems. Some runs were closed, but most seemed to be open and were lovely spring skiing and very well maintained. We had a great week, low down in the slush and higher up on empty slopes with decent conditions. It was VERY warm though (15C), and I have no idea how good a snow year it was, so you may not be so lucky.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Similar to AJ was in San Cassiano that time of year in 2012 and that was one of the worst seasons for snow apparently - well on an inside out clinic, I had a fab time really enjoyed the skiing as they manage the snow they have so well. The vast majority of runs around the Sella were still open - ok there was the odd closure but the full Ronda was open and the parts of the Selva section we skied were fine

This is the run down from Santa Croce (near La Villa)

There was lots of potential for off-piste fun especially below the lift lines

I enjoyed it so much I've booked to go to the Dolomites 2x this year, including going back on the same inside out clinic in March.

IIRC most of the resorts were planning to close on the 'Easter Tuesday' but that was a week later in 2012 than 2013, and hopefully this season will be a little better for snow.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Like many here, I love the Dolomites, and would go back in a heartbeat (might look at a late trip this year).

I can only give one example, from mid-march 2011 when we were in Selva. Generally speaking - conditions were still great. Beginner slopes were getting slushy late afternoon, and the path to the glass bridge on the Campanoi side (last bit of the route from Plan de Gralba) was starting to disappear, but otherwise no issues.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bertie bassett,
I think I was there probably the week after you as my favourite, the Santa Croce was closed and the Ronda was partially closed. We stayed in Arabba, this is looking down into Arabba over the Plan Boe from the Porta Vescovo cable car

This is in Arabba

Not all bad though these are from the terrace at the top of the Porta Vescovo and the Belvedere area was still OK-ish

One thing you can be absolutely certain of however is that the pisteurs will make the best of the conditions, whatever they may be.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Normally not, but the way middle Europe looks at the moment, everything is risky for end of January, not end of March. Confused
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy