Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Birds in La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
Ok we are talking feathered ones here. Any snow heads out there interested in birds. To date have seen Alpine Chough, Alpine Accentor, Raven, Crested Tit, Snow finch, Citril Ficnch and even a Golden Eagle in resort in France. Heading for La Plagne end Jan and wondering if anyone is aware of any birds around the area.

This may be a first for Snowheads and no doubt open to all sorts of interpretation
Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tully, Always interested in crested booby's! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did not notice the automatic correction from Crested ti&s
! Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect to see all of those in La Plagne. There are also bearded vultures in the area, but I think they head south for the winter.

Various other kinds of tits, woodpeckers, ptarmigan, grouse, partridge, etc...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had bearded vulture a few years ago in Vanoise in summertime.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tully wrote:
Had bearded vulture a few years ago in Vanoise in summertime.

Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not in La Plagne but I had a Golden Eagle fly over my head walking down from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen one summer, it was perhaps 6 feet above my head, when one gets that close to such a magnificent bird its amazing and I will admit slightly worrying, I'm far too big for such a bird to consider me as lunch but I could feel the down draught from its wings, I was fortunate that it came towards me from out of the sun and it was it's shadow preceding it that caused me to look up, if it hadn't been for that I might not have noticed it as it silently flew around the mountains, I watched it for perhaps 5 minutes until it flew out of sight.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saw a golden eagle while skiing down Santons in VdI once. Bearded vultures in the Tarn valley in summer.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are a pair of Gypaetes (bearded vultures) that nest in the Peisey valley. They are there year round - in fact I saw one of them on Sunday - came past us at about 30m as we were dropping to Pralognan from the Breche Portetta. There are also pairs near la Daille, and Termignon amongst other places - so could have been one of them. Wouldn't imagine you would see them too close to the main part of La Plagne though - bit too busy...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's a sort of tame (ish) bunch of feathered things that hang around the lift shack at the top of Grand Col in Les Arcs - I think the 'mech's feed them. Prob Choughs but I really have no idea.

Despite what others have said I think the bird life (feathered) is limited at that height in the winter, vultures aside.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Saw some European crested t!ts last week in Zermatt. Really pretty birds and distinct fromm the British version
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
....from the title I thought Scottys had opened a lapdance bar.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tully wrote:
Ok we are talking feathered ones here. Any snow heads out there interested in birds. To date have seen Alpine Chough, Alpine Accentor, Raven, Crested booby, Snow finch, Citril Ficnch and even a Golden Eagle in resort in France. Heading for La Plagne end Jan and wondering if anyone is aware of any birds around the area.

This may be a first for Snowheads and no doubt open to all sorts of interpretation
Cheers

There are Gryphon Vultures settled in the Narcroix valley - very near la Plagne - seriously big birds.
Also watched a pair of Golden Eagles circling low in Les Arcs not 10 days ago. Excellent
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the replies. I have seen Chough at top of grand col in les arcs as well. However, given that we had been stuck on an open chair for 30 mins in a blizzard we did not toe too long to look at them. The cresties are very attractive. Sometimes Snow finch hang around restaurants looking for food. If you see a fool scanning with binoculars in Lp area at end of the month, it could be me. Thanks one and all
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tully, Twice now we have watched Eagles circling under the Vanoise Express as it crosses the valley, presumably using the shadow and movement as cover?

Over New Year we watched two huge birds enjoying the thermals near Champagny - unfortunately I have no idea what they were.
snow conditions
In St Anton last week whilst on the Kapall chairlift fellow Snowhead lampbus pointed out to me a white ptarmigan walking across the snow - it was only the fact that it was moving and leaving tracks in the snow that he noticed it, the camouflage otherwise being so good. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Tully, We say a couple of lammageiers in the Vanoise National Park by Rosuel at Christmas.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lammergeier&hl=en&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Ep_tULTdNIem0AW38IGYAw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1002&bih=665
snow report
Always loads of jackdaws soaring around Avoriaz, they will hand-feed on your balcony. Best bar in town is named after them (Le Choucas)
ski holidays
So far this season we have had a golgen eagle in the back garden and on the mountain and bearded vultures [lammageiers] at bormio 3000.
ski holidays
Flocks of alpine choughs ( 20+) in Valloire last week, and blue tits by chalet ! Deer on mountainside, black squirrels, but I digress.
ski holidays
I think I saw snow buntings at top of Courchevel Saulire last year, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned them, or was it a misidentification?
ski holidays
Snow bunting would be possible. They would be regular around the car park at Glenshee and Cairngorm. Could also have been snowfinch.

The jackdaws at Avoriaz could well have been Alpine Chough. Always plenty there.
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/N2VLWw9JjoU Flying with Lammergeier
ski holidays
Well blimey, learn summat every day! Google images confirms that what I've always been told were "Choucas", (and confirmed unequivocally by the bar name wink obviously) - were in fact Alpine Chough all along Confused Blush Laughing. Thanks Tully!
latest report
Thanks Scarpa. Made my day.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy