Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many lives do avalanche beacons save

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The chance of needing a parachute if you fly is really extremely small, as is the chance of being in an avalanche if you only go off piste very occasionally. However, over decades of skiing mostly off piste (as I do) the chances of eventually getting in an avalanche get very significant.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Found the TGR thread about the 'avalanche from multiple perspectives' incident, for those of you who might be interested: My Avalanche Experience - Helmet Cam Footage and Commentary on Emergency Gear

James the Last wrote:
If other people won't ski with me unless I can rescue them from this miniscule danger, then I would be prepared to carry a receive-only device in order to keep them happy, on the grounds that it would not be making a material change to my life expectancy.

Is having a beacon really this massively onerous? Seriously? The stress and effort involved in carrying a transceiver, shovel and probe really affects you this much?

Its fair enough that you are prepared to take the small risk of dying in an avalanche... you do what you like. But you'd better be carrying a means for the rest of us to find your body, especially those who's job it is to clean up after these sorts of accidents. Rescue teams and helicopters will be deployed at risk to the people involved and at non-trivial expense, and you making their job harder, even post-mortem, is still quite selfish in my eyes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
James the Last wrote:
The crowds of ESF instructors taking an army of children off piste down the Vallée Perdue above La Daille ten days ago weren't bothering with all this faff.

Wasn't the avalanche risk in that area just 1 at that point? I rather suspect they wouldn't have done the same last sunday after all the fresh snow when the risk level was at 3.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
James the Last, maybe but point is that parachutes would still be a poor choice for where to spend your money when compared to a good steak.

snowball
Quote:
The chance of needing a parachute if you fly is really extremely small, as is the chance of being in an avalanche if you only go off piste very occasionally. However, over decades of skiing mostly off piste (as I do) the chances of eventually getting in an avalanche get very significant.

No disagreement with this at all. That's why I own the kit and might even bring it with me sometimes, whilst recognising that for many it's just more gear to buy and fuss with, so they rightly cross beyond the markers and without bothering with it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've found all this very interesting and have been generally finding out more about things. I thought this interactive aid was quite informative and I don't recall anyone posting it previously: http://www.mammut.ch/barryvoxtraining
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Serriadh wrote:
James the Last wrote:
The crowds of ESF instructors taking an army of children off piste down the Vallée Perdue above La Daille ten days ago weren't bothering with all this faff.

Wasn't the avalanche risk in that area just 1 at that point? I rather suspect they wouldn't have done the same last sunday after all the fresh snow when the risk level was at 3.

Quite. Exactly my point.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
James the Last wrote:
Quite. Exactly my point.

Really? Cos I didn't see any mention of varying avalanche risks in your post. Or, y'know, anywhere in this thread. Only that carrying a transciever, or at least the emitter stage, was pointless.

If you'd actually been arguing that carrying avalanche gear in terrain that was so safe that the ESF would herd a bunch of children though it was pointless, do you really think you'd have had so many negative responses?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, thanks for that link, it was really interesting. I was rubbish at it - but I never play computer games. Just couldn't work out how to dig properly with a mouse Blush . Hope I would be better at the real thing. (Obviously, hope I never, ever need to do it.)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Serriadh, I followed your link above to the TGR forum and watched and read about that experience. Although he wasn't saved by a transceiver I was astounded at how effective the other gear he carried was. Yet, I expect James the Last, would argue that none of it was really necessary as avalanches won't happen to him. I bet that chap had winced every time he bent his credit card, yet I would argue the the things he carried could well have saved his life - as mentioned above - it's no different to 'insurance'.

As an aside, I couldn't help thinking he was lucky to have had the helicopter standing by, as if he hadn't been able to find his gear after surviving the avalanche he wouldn't half had a difficult job getting off the mountain!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
maggi, click to dig left, then click to dig right, then click to dig the bit in the middle!! LOL

Whilst there was a limit to what it could do, I learned more through doing it that I ever knew about this area before.

Another one I found that I liked was this one to explain why the search pattern is circular:

http://www.fsavalanche.org/encyclopedia/avalanche_transceiver.htm

What it then led me to wonder is, if a transceiver shows say 10m to the victim is that measurement in a straight line to the victim or is it the distance you have walk around the curved track?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum wrote:
Yet, I expect James the Last, would argue that none of it was really necessary as avalanches won't happen to him.

In his defence, that seems a little unfair wink The thrust of his argument, as I see it, is that the chances of you being buried in an avalanche, and yet surviving thanks to a transciever'n'probe search are so slim as to make buying and carrying that equipment and training in its use pointless.

I don't think he's cavalier about the risks, however. I'm not either, and that's precisely why I'm happy to equip myself with the appropriate gear; I don't see it as an imposition. I wear a helmet too Little Angel

Megamum wrote:
What it then led me to wonder is, if a transceiver shows say 10m to the victim is that measurement in a straight line to the victim or is it the distance you have walk around the curved track?

In the last few practises I've done, when you are 'close enough' to the target (under 15m, at least) I get the straight line distance, but if you're far enough away you tend to get a curved path distance. There are all sorts of factors involved, including the orientation of the transmitting antenna and the cleverness of the receiving device.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

when you are 'close enough' to the target (under 15m, at least) I get the straight line distance, but if you're far enough away you tend to get a curved path distance.

Serriadh, interesting, I suppose to a certain distance from the transmitter the line is fairly straight and so I guess the straight line distance is a fair estimate anyway. Looking at that diagram I posted it is only after it starts to really curve that the distance becomes elongated by the curved track. Could it be that it is the curved track that it always measures and therefore it appears to be in a straight line when you are closer and off of the curved path to a greater degree?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Serriadh wrote:
In his defence, that seems a little unfair wink The thrust of his argument, as I see it, is that the chances of you being buried in an avalanche, and yet surviving thanks to a transciever'n'probe search are so slim as to make buying and carrying that equipment and training in its use pointless.

Serriadh wrote:
If you'd actually been arguing that carrying avalanche gear in terrain that was so safe that the ESF would herd a bunch of children though it was pointless, do you really think you'd have had so many negative responses?

But the 2 are the same. It must be.

Because if you go out a lot in higher avalanche risk, your chance of being buried is higher. Consequently, the chance of landing in that risk band of buried but not dead is also increased proportionally. Transceiver becomes more important because of that use pattern.

The result of being cautious and choosy about when and where to ski off-piste will decrease the chance of needing transceiver. His argument is, for the vast majority who goes out only at low risk days, the chance of transceiver coming into use is too small to be worth insisting.

Now one may after all choose to have one however small the chance of usage is (or even carry one when on piste). But his argument being it's disproportionally promoted for ALL off-piste skiing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In answer to the OP, potentially a few more given the response to the BCA tracker thread running at the moment Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy