Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going Straight Downhill (Schuss?)

Poster: A snowHead
After having a big crash when going fast downhill in a straight line I tend to avoid it now and just do big carving turns instead. I would like to regain my confidence when going straight but can't seem to find many tips on doing this? Is this a simple thing to do and am I missing something? I would like to find out what went wrong that time so it doesn't happen again and also if there are any expert recommendations on body position, weight distribution, etc. that I should be adopting.
Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A man after my own heart! snowHead

It's harder to Schuss on carving skis with an exaggerated sidecut as they are always wanting to turn and they are jittery in a straight line which makes it feel like you're about to catch an edge. Keep your weight forward and the hands high and forward and hope for the best is my technique
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
red 27 wrote:
and hope for the best is my technique

Shocked perhaps one you're best not sharing?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque, Too late Laughing

Perhaps a better way of putting it is that whenever I'm schussing at speed I always think, "wow, it's gonna hurt it I fall over now"

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 8-01-13 12:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
raybey1, why not just roll very gently from side to side so your ski's edges are always engaged. Doesn't need to be a big, sweeping turn, but you will have the security of both skis running on the snow with less likelihood of jitteriness or suddenly catching an edge.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies.
rob@rar - That is what I have been doing recently but keep seeing all these other skiers flying down straight without having big crashes, just wondered if there was something I was missing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
raybey1, if you are just rolling gently from edge to edge there will be very little difference in speed between you and other skiers; they certainly won't be flying past you (unless you are talking about straight-lining a red run?). I'm talking about almost skiing in a straight line, with just the barest of change in direction.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar - Oh I see just keeping on an edge. I will try that in a couple of weeks when I go. Still be good to know if there is a decent technique for keeping them straight and not having them always feel like they are going to catch an edge.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
raybey1 wrote:
Still be good to know if there is a decent technique for keeping them straight and not having them always feel like they are going to catch an edge.
No magic technique that I'm aware of, just stay well balanced.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah, +1 for Rob@rar's advice.

When you get to a certain speed on most skis, (dependent on type of ski, snow conditions, weight and ability of the skier no doubt) your skis will start to get jittery for want of a better word. I find in excess of around 60mph the wind resistance will start to lift the front of my skis and make them "chatter" a little making the chances of it all going wrong significantly bigger. If your constantly transferring from edge to edge you will lose almost none of that speed and maintain a far greater degree of stability and control.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not like the old days on 210cm planks - str8-lining was easy, it was the turns that caused problems Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
red 27,

Those old 215's are staying in the garage. I'll put up with the jittery new 184's that can do the bendy things Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Turning is significantly more enjoyable than going straight.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My 3 year old doesn't think so.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr Piehole, Laughing Hence my Facebook comments.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Toofy Grin
latest report
raybey1, modern skis are the problem, they're designed to turn. Catching an edge is always a risk while straight running. Only remedy for going quick in a straight line is long skis with little or no side cut, get yourself some 240 KL skis, no problem going fast in a straight line, turns might be a bit of an issue though. Laughing

As has been said keeping the edges slightly engaged is a much safer way and you'll still go fast.
ski holidays
Thanks all, nice to know its the skis and not me for once Very Happy
Ill stick to keeping the edges engaged then.
snow conditions
raybey1, It's not the skis.
latest report
rob@rar, I see an opportunity for an Inside-Out clinic at Hemel

"Going Str8 with Rob and Scott" Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Schussing is for dinosaurs, all the cool kidz now do that not really trying poles behind the back position (well those that aren't actually sitting on the tails of their skis)
ski holidays
fatbob, I can get down to sit on my tails . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
ski holidays
red 27, Laughing We prefer to call it "Increasing Your Speed" and we do it during the summer months when the slope is likely to be quiet.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
fatbob, I can get down to sit on my tails . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
But can you get back up?
latest report
Mr Piehole wrote:
My 3 year old doesn't think so.

My 8 year old is only just getting the idea!
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Masque wrote:
But can you get back up?

Nothing gives me more joy than watching someone cruising through a busy resort centre green run sitting on the backs of their skis struggling to get back up. Very Happy
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Masque wrote:
But can you get back up?

Stupid question rolling eyes Of course I can . . . once I've spat out the snow and found my poles.
snow conditions
Masque, Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
if the french fries are wobbly try some pizza
snow conditions
raybey1 wrote:
Thanks all, nice to know its the skis and not me for once Very Happy
Ill stick to keeping the edges engaged then.

raybey1, maybe? Maybe not!.....could be your boots though!

Or it could just be fear of crashing again.....but my constant need to ride the edges to feel in control was removed after my boots were aligned correctly with specific footbeds, shims etc.

I can go as fast* as I like now on flat skis without any fear of being ejected. I can only describe it, as going from the feeling you got riding an old Raleigh chopper bike >35mph, then doing the same speed on the latest racing creation.

*still not that fast! wink
snow report
I find that there is a good balance position which is very low and wide,skis feel flat,and it feels stable once you get on it.
Arms forward on knees.......hands together,palms up.
You then get to that high speed ( above 60mph ! ) point where you know the limit of recovery has gone so its just a case of hanging on keeping stable !!
I always check the piste first with a previous run and obviously only straight line it if its totally clear and safe.
Thrills all the way !, nothing like it !!,but big very fast sweeping turns good too !
latest report
During our recent trip to Chamrousse, I went straight in a Schuss down a particularly steep part of a red (Niverolles for those who know the resort). It wasn't intentional - I simply lost the ability to turn (temporarily) and went down in a straight line, hanging on for dear life, bouncing over the moguls and praying silently under my breath. At the bottom if the steep bit it goes up again, and that slowed me enough to remember how to turn and stop. I've never been more scared in my entire life (and I've had some scary moments on fast motorcycles). Going straight can be fun Happy
latest report
I saw an interview once with one of the Bell brothers....his advice was to keep your jaw firmly shut because if you crash you do not want to bite through your tongue!
ski holidays
Hah, I was noticing on the video of my day at Hemel that I seem to have spent the whole day biting my lip. A habit worth getting rid of so I don't come back one day with half my face bitten off Smile
snow conditions
Best suggestion... don't do it on short SL skis. GS skis (currently with r>35m) are shortest skis for me, that I even think on something like this, but if possible, I stay on SG skis if I there's really empty track, and I have wish (most of time Smile) for high speed (100+kmh).
Maybe if I wouldn't be skiing with GS and SG skis, I wouldn't be so "sensitive" about this, but SL skis (and they are World cup race stock skis) are just so soft and they vibrate so much at higher speed, that it really doesn't feel like fun for me. Not to mention, these skis are made to be on edge, and not on base, so they really restless when on base.
So if you have wish for going straight down, get proper skis first before even thinking on something like this. And after that, think if you are capable of skiing safely at 100+kmh.... most of people are not Wink
snow report
Luckily most people's ring would be going before they got to that speed.
snow conditions
rungsp wrote:
I saw an interview once with one of the Bell brothers....his advice was to keep your jaw firmly shut because if you crash you do not want to bite through your tongue!

good tip Smile

I always take my false gnashers out before a really huge schuss.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 9-01-13 16:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

keep your jaw firmly shut

Isn't that what the chin strap on your helmet is for wink
latest report
musher, not really... at least if you have it set properly Wink
snow report
We schussed the bottom part of a pretty steep and icy Swiss black (below the Etherolla at Thyon), I don't think I've ever gone that fast in my life on skis, they are fairly stiff and were chattering like hell. Was still going fast over half a k away on the flat Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy