Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving with young-ish kids to La Plagne - tips please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Yep, never been delayed and, Yep, have never gone near the tunnel or ski resorts at half term.

+1. I shall be well away from my apartment before the beginning of the French school hols. When we had school aged kids we took them out of school and went in the cheap, dark, weeks of January. The alternative would have been to go at Easter, or at a push, Christmas. Skiing at half term is masochism.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fully agree that the letter/times are a work of fiction. I think the only thing to do is relax and accept that once you're in the system you will get across - eventually.

I think a lot of the problem is the fact that they end up with too many people in the system, as they are allowing people to travel on different times etc.

As stated certainly on French side they seem to have got better at turning people away prior to getting to check-in to prevent this from happening.

I much prefer the tunnel to ferry, and have so far avoided really long delays. May be coincidence but we are always overheight and thus travel on the single decker coach carriages. I have a sneaking suspicion that this helps
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boris, Very strict at Ashford on non overheight vehicles going overheight even if you have booked over height! Tried to turn me to double decks but explained that Eurotunnel have to buy me new tyres if I go double deck (my tyre walls get shredded on the kerbs by the toilets!) so they graciously let me on overheight!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
On our (overheight) crossing on the Sunday of New Year week, we were told they couldn't put us on an earlier train (turned up 2 hrs early as mentioned above) since they were fully booked, in the end we left 1/2 an hour early and a big part of the overheight section was empty behind us, can't see why they didn't pack it up with cars but they didn't.

That was coming home, we were an hour late leaving on the way out though.

If you're used to peak-time skiing / boarding, it's really not that bad, still a hell of a lot more room on the piste than at Xscape.... taking kids above primary age out of school is really not accepted any more, we are taking ours out for the Friday before but that's the most I dare try to get away with...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boris wrote:

I much prefer the tunnel to ferry, and have so far avoided really long delays. May be coincidence but we are always overheight and thus travel on the single decker coach carriages. I have a sneaking suspicion that this helps

Do you reckon this helps? I will stick the roof box on and book overheight next time Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Boredsurfing, yes I've noticed that, but they've yet to make us try and take the caravan on double decker ones Laughing

Otherwise we are well over 2m with roofbox so no option but to use - the downside is you can get stuck behind 43 coaches and your chances of using the loo if urgent are nil (not an issue if we have the van on)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sarah wrote:
Boris, nice post Laughing

We used to carry a potty too and a bottle for times when our lad didn't give us much warning Shocked

[all joking aside],we have a wide-mouth [!], screw top, Nalgene-type bottle for the young lad's emergencies [which typically happen in the midst of traffic jams]. A wrap of duct tape around it helps distinguish it should you have similar looking bottles.

I would add to all the helpful advice here:
- small euro coins for pay toilets along the way
- water bottles in the car
- snacks that are not all sugar
- a pillow and eye masks
- a separate MP3 player and headphones for everyone in the car... although we play a game of putting our top 15 or so songs on a playlist and every one else in the car rates them....
- all paperwork/passports/insurance papers/drivers' licences/car ownership/whatever in one plastic folder beside the driver

greg
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowyowl wrote:
[snip]
If your kids are prone to car sickness give them a Joy Ride at the outset. No messing about waiting and seeing. After they have been sick is horrible for everyone.
[snip]

Just before Christmas, we came back from Ischgl using the Tunnel. A fairly glum looking French family in front of us. Walked past their open car doors and the smell of vomit was overpowering. That must have been a rough trip.

greg
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy