Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving with young-ish kids to La Plagne - tips please!

Poster: A snowHead
Another very convenient beside the autoroute 24 hour supermarket fuel stop is at 'Nuits St George', after Dijon

http://www.carrefour.fr/magasin/market-nuits-saint-georges

Nearer La Plagne, you can also use the SuperU at la Bathie a couple of junctions past Albertville.
If you pass it, just turn back at the next junction onto the side road.

I'd avoid travelling on that Saturday if at all possible and go for option 1.
Add some snowfall into the mix and half term Saturdays become carnage.
Traffic lights are used on the Albertville-Moutiers expressway to control the volumes of cars and in the tunnel
just before Aime.
It can be stop-start-crawl-repeat for hours and can make you very tired.
Note also that some French and Belgian drivers will sit right on your tail to overtake while you are already overtaking.

When travelling we always go Calais-Reims-Troyes-Dijon-Lyon (airport)-Chambery-Albertville.

You might be lucky as many French peeps vacate the apartment early and head off home on Friday night to avoid the traffic on half term Saturdays.
May as well tell the agency if you arrive early and they may clean your apartment as a priority.

Essentials for the journey for me are an in car water boiler for hot drinks.

As mentioned by another, leave very early or after maybe 1700 on the return to avoid the same traffic problems.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boris I can't remember the details but when we got ours last year the up-front cost was quite a bit less with APPR and the monthly / annual charge was lower too. There was also some discussion about the exchange rate used by the UK SANEF, if you're lucky enough to have a credit card with a good exchange rate (we have had a Nationwide one for years so no commission / commercial exchange rate) I think it works out better.

Anyway as the mastercard ad says, sailing past the queues at the peages with smug look on face..... priceless! whichever way you go about getting the tag!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
vickitav, ok cheers - and yes agree priceless
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

We came back from Les Arcs last Friday and it was a 9:30 hours drive from Les Arcs to Calais.

take no notice of travel times given by anyone who hasn't done it at half term - completely irrelevant. wink Also irrelevant if there's snow in northern France and you have to drive for hours at 30 mph behind a snow plough. I do the journey a lot, often driving solo the whole way, and I have no problem with motorway night driving IF it's a clear night. French motorways are excellent, any competent driver should have no problem at all, especially at night! The road down does get very busy on the Friday before half term though - absolutely full of UK registered 4WD monsters with huge roof boxes. I've driven north a few times when that advancing army has been heading south; it's scary.

I would definitely head straight through France, and pay the tolls.

I would also go with the majority who have said stay close the night before and drive up early on Saturday but I suspect you will struggle mightily to find a hotel room at this late stage - if you decide on that plan, book straight away.

You need to think just as hard about your journey back. Personally I would go for skiing all day then leaving resort about 5 pm, having dinner after 2 hour then driving through the night if the weather is good, or stopping overnight if it's bad. Don't forget the speed limit is 69 mph if the road is wet. If it's snowing, or foggy, I'd not push on - get safely off the road.

If you don't want to spend a long time in a traffic jam either leave VERY early (certainly before 8 am at the absolute latest) or very late.

Thing is, you have to stay flexible. Have a plan, but be ready to change it. 9 times out of 10 you'll find the weather on the way down through France is fine, but when it's bad, it can be very bad. Northern France is no better at coping with unusual snow falls than the south of England.

Try to book some covered parking for the car once you are in the resort.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Our longest delay was overnight at the tunnel. Christmas day evening when the illegal immigrants at Sangat? sp? invaded the tunnel. No choice but to wait as the ferries were not running.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The plan is starting to come together, thanks to everyone's hints and tips. We'll go via Annecy instead of Chambery and have booked an aparthotel on the outskirts of Annecy for the Friday night (decided against driving through the night - I'm too chicken, never having done it before), meaning early start on the Saturday for the final 1h 40m (in theory!) up to resort. Just been looking at channel crossings too, and thinking tunnel outward as we can pretty much make sure we get to Folkestone on time, but ferry for return as ferry ticket with +/- 4 hour flexibility seems to be an awful lot cheaper than the tunnel's flexible ticket option - and worried that our return journey through France might take longer than we hope..... So helpful having been able to read about everyone's experiences of doing the drive.

Now to think how we are going to tell the school that we're keeping the kids off on the Friday..... Still newly back in the UK and have heard that you can get fined £50 per child per parent for each day you keep them off, eek.

To those who are going skiing themselves soon, have a great time!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Raquelita, tunnel allows 2 hours either side and you'll get on regardless, many people here will have had greater than 4 hour differences. I'd suggest book a later crossing than you need then worst case you can stock up duty free!

Mind you I'd also be puking on ferry so really don't like them!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Enjoy the journey as it will be less stressful than half term in La Plagne Twisted Evil

+1
Plus the queues at the Tunnel on the way back will probably be longer than the queues in La Plagne and that's saying something Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Aaaargh, so annoying that we can only go at half term!! Got some friends' kids luckily get half term the week before, so they get to avoid all the French skiers and most of the Brits. Not fair! Nevertheless, from living in Barcelona and taking weekend trips up to Andorra, La Molina etc. with zillions of other day/weekend trippers, we know all about long queues to get home..... But, granted, a 2.5 hour journey turning into a 5 hour one isn't quite the same as driving for 10 hours only to find that you then have to queue for several more at the channel! Lots of DVDs and audio books is going to be the way forward Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing, Unfortunately you are probably right Confused

Last time I was there at a busy period though, they had got people out on the bridge checking tickets and turning back anyone who was more than 2-hours early to limit the number of people in terminal area. As I just posted, we all know you can usually get on early, so in a way we're all causing the problem by turning up early!!!

With only the 2-hours worth of cars in terminal at any one point it did seem to cope better.

And lets face it the delay is not caused by Eurotunnel but by the UK border checks, which probably worked better how it was before they changed it all around rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Raquelita, Easter is where it's at.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Easter is certainly quieter - of course you can have no snow then!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
But what about the snow at Easter? Not so good? Have only ever been to Alps earlier in January or early Feb, and Pyrenees at various times through January to early/mid March and by then the snow isn't good in Pyrenees. But then we have a friend who comes from Chambery and goes back there three times each season including Easter to ski at Valloire where they have an apartment - however she is an expert skier who could ski on anything, not like me!

So where is best to go at Easter?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No Snow in La Plagne at Easter!! you can also have awful conditions in February. Easter is warmer, long sunny days, it's brill for kids and the skiing can be fantastic. It's also cheaper and quieter.
As for snow -Windblow ice or nice spring corn? is there a better surface to ski on than when the sun has caught the snow, it's slushy on top and firm below. Goodness, even I can carve a turn on that!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:
The tunnel is notionally faster than ferries, but never seems to run reliably. Coming back this year we arrived on time and were given our allocated crossing only to be prevented boarding at the last minute and told to wait an hour for the next crossing. I think the longest delay was for 4 hours

I would never consider ferries in the winter.

A 9 hour drive to Tignes after spending 3 hours on a boat in force 8 gales, with everyone throwing up (and feeling green myself from the smell) was something never to be repeated. We were told that our boat was the last one sailing that night as the winds were increasing. The car parks were full so whilst the crossing was horrendous, we were grateful that we were getting to France. The steward said we may not be able to dock if it got much windier but we docked without drama.

The tunnel is 60 minutes max, gate to gate. The ferry will be 2.5 hours minimum, if it isn't full and if you have a tailwind.

I only booked the ferry as this was after the freight train fire that closed the tunnel, years ago. Winter ferries are too much at the mercy of the weather and I would only ever book the tunnel in winter, now. There have been stories of technical problems at the tunnel, but these are rare compared to ferry cancellations.

That said, I have flown for the last 2 years as the drive home seems to take forever and puts too much a of a downer on the holiday spirit.
ski holidays
Boris, Border checks are much better now. They have double the number of booths and seem to man them in the busy periods. In my experience the final toll on the A26 heading North is often a problem - that can cost an hour. Even with a Peage doofer you are still in the queue until you can get into the Telepeage lane. Diversion from St Quentin via Amiens & Abbeville adds 50km and 25 minutes but may well be worth it if there is a big queue and or traffic is slow. I'll be allowing 12 hours for what should in theory take 8 hours (with just a couple of short stops) and will be doing a big stint to see how we are going before we do much in the way of stops. La Plagne is considerably further than Chatel so I think it would be wise to allow plenty of time.
latest report
Queue at the Tunnel coming back after New Year was around 2 hours from the Motorway to check in and then a 3 or 4 hour delay to your booked train.

I have written to Lorraine Dilucia at Eurotunnel to ask for compensation, we await a reply.....

Worst I saw on Twitter was someone with a 9.30pm reservation who had been offered a 7.30am place Shocked

Top Tip, in the Calais terminal a whole Pizza is a lot cheaper than buying slices! The kids were working out the break even point Laughing
snow report
bar shaker, Absolute best we have done it is -5 minutes! Not via tardis but we pulled into the French end and were heading out of the English end 55 minutes later - -5 minutes with the time difference. That was exceptional and we were sweating that we would miss our last check in time (30 minutes before departure).

There is absolutely no chance of anyone travelling at half term (by this I mean Friday afternoon/night or Saturday morning/afternoon outbound or Saturday afternoon to Sunday inbound) doing it in an hour. Allow two, don't be disappointed by three.*

*Edit: Unless you have a Flixiplus ticket at £200 each way of course!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 9-01-13 12:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Raquelita, I've been the last two Easters which have been really bad in an historical context but there has still been plenty to ski. The year before last was La Plagne where they did a fantastic job of keeping all the links open and obviously there is plenty of high altitude skiing there. Last year was La Norma which was fine also. Sure the lower non snow cannoned or sun exposed pistes are going to be closed but there is still plenty to go at. In a good year you can get some excellent dumps of snow. The longer days are great too.
latest report
Yes to be fair, I have been the last 4 Easters to Les Arcs and even including the really bad year had plenty of skiing, plus the sitting in the sun with cold drink at end of day.

However, these were all second trips. To be sure of snow I opted for Feb this year as is only trip
ski holidays
We took the tunnel over for new year but came back Sunday lunchtime rather than Saturday night.
Our booked train was 1.50pm, arrived around 2 hours early but got on an earlier train so left around 1.20 in the end. Took at least 1/2 an hour to get through passport control. Perhaps an overnight stop on the way home is a less stressful way to go?

Going on the ferry in Feb, though, did it last year and was a much more enjoyable experience, obv depends on the weather though....
snow report
Coming down from Norfolk, I prefer the ferry to get me over the water. Yes its slower but this time can be used to have a meal and good stretch.

Then its on the road, this year without my parents which is good. When they come we "have" to overnight somewhere.

Without them, I'll leave home around 6ish on the Friday evening and hope to be in resort by about 11am on Sunday. Maybe with a couple of hours shut eye befroe the climb into resort.

Think we should post our reg no's so the kids can tick off fellow snowheads on the way down Smile
snow conditions
GaryCantley, Shurely Shume mistake?

Presume you arrive on Saturday 11am?

Good idea on the sH spotting thread. One to start on the week before half term.
ski holidays
I like the idea of a SH spotting thread, but would suggest not posting full number plates, maybe partial with desc of car?

Anyone else likely to be a Eurotunnel 8am ish on Friday 8th Feb?
snow report
Quote:

The tunnel is 60 minutes max, gate to gate.

Not sure how you mange this. They want you at the gate 30 minutes before departure and the crossing alone takes takes 40 minutes. The best we have ever managed was 100 minutes and TBH I thought that was very good. Coming back this year we arrived at the gate at 21:45 and arrived in Folkestone at 0:20, 215 minutes later. And that was without being held up by queues getting to the gate or significantly by the border guards.

Boredsurfing, experience is, to me, much more the norm.

I suppose that I have been very lucky in that despite hundreds of ferry crossings across the channel, the North and Irish seas I have only ever had one rough one, but I have been held in port for 12 hours while the storm abated and we could set sail.

My wife, who uses the tunnel much more than me, reports very few problems mid day, mid week, so perhaps it is only really a problem at the times us skiers are returning.

Going back to the original post when traveling with young children I recommend the tunnel every time. My experience is that my son would just sleep all the way and it was a real hassle carrying a sleeping toddler up the stairs and finding somewhere to put him down (not in the put your dog down sense).
ski holidays
DJL. Yes sorry did mean Saturday! Typing early in the morning when brain not engaged is not a good thing Smile

Boris. I was thinking the same after I posted. How about first part of reg and make of car?
snow report
Boris wrote:

Anyone else likely to be a Eurotunnel 8am ish on Friday 8th Feb?

I really, really hope so, got everything crossed but still Puzzled
snow report
sarah, Look out for a Land Rover Discovery with roofbox then!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Look out for a Land Rover Discovery with roofbox then!

There will only be 984 of those on the road between Calais and the Alps.

Quote:

Maybe with a couple of hours shut eye befroe the climb into resort.

at half term, you'd be better getting your shut eye in resort. A trip which would get you up there at 11 am on a quieter day will be more likely to get you there at 3 pm on one of those big changeover days. And that's without heavy snow.
ski holidays
Boris, Laughing

pam w, Boris and I are on the non-peak-non-french-hols-half-term-week Cool
snow conditions
sarah, that's a very clever trick. Well in that case there will only be 276 Roof-boxed Discos. That will be the week of choice for all French skiers who don't have school aged kids. Busy, but not manic.
snow report
Quote:

There will only be 984 of those on the road between Calais and the Alps.

Good point - ok mine will have snowHead stickers all over the roofbox and possibly a child being sick Confused

I'll see if I can get a "I AM BORIS" sticker for the back window
snow report
Boris, Laughing Laughing
snow report
Going back to bar shaker's point about the tunnel.

I cross the channel about 12 times a year and mostly use the ferries. I use the tunnel only if I am really in a hurry or on business.

Having said that I don't think there is much time difference in it and the Ferries always seem to me to be much more flexible about waving you on if you arrive a lot earlier or later than you meant to.

Over those hundreds of crossings I would say that I have suffered far more delays on the tunnel than the ferry and the tunnel terminals are amongst the World's most boring and dire places, particularly if the trains aren't running. I also agree with the post above about winter sailing. The dover calais ferries barely move even in storm force conditions.

My preferred way to travel is to use the Ferries. Ideally try to get the two new P&O big ones. As soon as you get on board, head up to the Langham's restaurant at the top of the ship. God value, great meal and it takes the whole journey. When we take the kids they love it and it forms the start of the holiday in their mind. It also puts you in a relaxing frame of mind for the long slog ahead. Another benefit is that it separates you from the hordes of Chavs on a day trip.
Toofy Grin
latest report
Layne,

+ 1 for eurotunnel, never been delayed and have done many, many times and often ask if there is an earlier train, which more often than not there is!
ski holidays
1.) Eurotunnel - mid channel (no man's land) apply the chloroform
2.) go via Lux and fill up with petrol and bison vodka from a petrol station just before you leave the country
3.) drive at night non-stop to La Plagne as quickly as possible using tollroads and splitting the driving
4.) even if the chloroform wears off, you still have 4-5 hours of them being half awake as it takes a while to clear their systems which should be enough.
5.) job's a good 'un
snow report
jubnut wrote:
Layne,

+ 1 for eurotunnel, never been delayed and have done many, many times and often ask if there is an earlier train, which more often than not there is!

If you have never been delayed on Eurotunnel then you have never gone on it on a UK half term weekend! It is frequently carnage. Even travelling on the 'shoulders' of the half term weekend, rather than in the full peak of them, we have had delays. In fact I've never known the damn thing to be on time and it's always the same old chestnut of cancellations/delays to earlier trains rolling eyes
snow report
sarah, Never a truer word spoken.

When we went out in early December we had a chat with one of the crew on board. He reckoned Friday night and the weekend was generally busy, trains in the night ran slower than usual and that Wednesday afternoon was the quietest time. None of this really a shock or of much help to those tied to school holiday trips.

I've noticed that the check-in screen often has the correct time departure showing (i.e the one you booked) but very often the departure times when you get to the holding area are different (I suspect to make it less obvious when they have cancelled/delayed some). Also you frequently see your letter allocated to a particular crossing which then mysteriously gets spread across two crossing times (the expected one and the one after) and then the dreaded "reprogramming" message appears after which - surprise, surprise - you're on a later crossing.

I also had a chat with one of the staff at Folkestone when there were delays. He was very friendly and couldn't have been keener to help but was totally in the dark about the cause of delay - he says they are never given the reasons. Again I suspect it is policy to keep customers in the dark.
snow conditions
Quote:

I suspect it is policy to keep customers in the dark.

it's a tunnel - not really a surprise viz-a-vis the lighting situation.
snow report
sarah wrote:
jubnut wrote:
Layne,

If you have never been delayed on Eurotunnel then you have never gone on it on a UK half term weekend! It is frequently carnage. Even travelling on the 'shoulders' of the half term weekend, rather than in the full peak of them, we have had delays. In fact I've never known the damn thing to be on time and it's always the same old chestnut of cancellations/delays to earlier trains rolling eyes

Yep, never been delayed and, Yep, have never gone near the tunnel or ski resorts at half term.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy