Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 take over BCA

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just spotted this in the media, looks like K2 have taken over BCA which could be interesting

http://skiingbusiness.com/16313/profiles/k2-ceo-talks-backcountry-access-acquisition/?src=t
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Statement from BCA can be found here as well

http://www.backcountryaccess.com/2013/01/07/k2-sports-acquires-bca/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BCA have jus taken over Pieps haven't they? I'm not sure having the K2 accountants running everything is a good idea.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
BCA have jus taken over Pieps haven't they?

That's news to me if they have...

Any links or references?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Black Diamond bought Pieps.

Quote:
I'm not sure having the K2 accountants running everything is a good idea.

Its all very cool to knock big ski companies on the forumz.
However K2 are still a good company - have brought plenty to the ski world.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Black Diamond have/are acquiring Pieps : http://www.blackdiamond-inc.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=118683&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1737587&highlight

I think Pieps got lost bringing the Vector to market and BCA have been late getting Tracker 3 out as well as struggling to impact with the Float airbag line - which was/is being heavily discounted in Europe along with the Tracker transceivers. Hence these sales.

Should be interesting - look at the ABS - North Face products for example.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

as well as struggling to impact with the Float airbag line

Interested in that. While I have an ABS, the Float doesn't look like a bad product.

On a related note, I'm intrigued by the fact that the Float is "cheap" but still around the £500 mark. Aside from the trigger mechanism, most of the airbag parts are very similar to kit used by divers, although that stuff is a shedload cheaper. You can pick up an AP valves delayed surface marker buoy with inflation cylinder (basically the airbag and gas part of an airbag) for about £100.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is where I bought mine : http://www.auvieuxcampeur.fr/hiver/securite/systeme-de-securite-avalanche-et-respirateur/airbag-float-bca/sacs-a-dos-compet-avec-systeme-de-ballon-gonflable-airbag-bca/float-22-sac-airbag-sans-cartouche.html add €105 for the bottle, buy a loyalty card for €25 and then take 10% off - all in price: (349+10 *.90)+25 = €433 0r c £355. And buy yourself a Tracker 2 for € 186 - 10% whilst you are there.

I'm impressed with it so far - about 14days with it.

Edit - no connection with Vieux Campeur for those who dont know it, large private French Sports chain.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gorilla, The equipment is similar however not the same, therefore the economies of scale are reduced as the number of airbags being produced is still pretty small fry the price will remain highish. The Float is a great product but until the IATA regs changed on the 1st January 2013 it was not possible to fly with so restricted the sales very badly.

mishmash, Yep Campeur are a pain in the neck to other European retailers if I sold at the prices they sell at I would be losing money so no point really.

The small worry I have is that the airbag market will get too commercial the larger companies will see it as a great profit centre and keep the prices high, which will not benefit the end user. There are also rumours of an electric inflation system getting rid of the cylinder completely!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
livetoski wrote:
There are also rumours of an electric inflation system getting rid of the cylinder completely!

Yeah I had heard this as well (Black Diamond?) but I reckon it s a) BS and b) put out to blunt BCA sales in the US , which is where I had heard it from (specifically an Alsakan guide) .
What I am surprised at with the Float is that because of the ease of refill, none of the big European "fleet" airbag owners have gone for it yet - ie the big ski resorts . The "trainability" of it versus the ABS etc has to be an advantage.

I totally get you re V Campeur - at least they won't deliver to UK!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

What I am surprised at with the Float is that because of the ease of refill, none of the big European "fleet" airbag owners have gone for it yet - ie the big ski resorts

Yes I agree easy to refill from a compressed air cylinder.

The however is why do you need to refill at all it would be a lot easier if the cylinder was free and you could exchange it, after all these cylinders are pretty much indestructible, well the steel ones from ABS and Snowpulse are.

Maybe an idea for me next season Toofy Grin Toofy Grin (copyright Snowshepherd) Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mishmash wrote:
livetoski wrote:
There are also rumours of an electric inflation system getting rid of the cylinder completely!

Yeah I had heard this as well (Black Diamond?) but I reckon it s a) BS and b) put out to blunt BCA sales in the US , which is where I had heard it from (specifically an Alsakan guide) .
What I am surprised at with the Float is that because of the ease of refill, none of the big European "fleet" airbag owners have gone for it yet - ie the big ski resorts . The "trainability" of it versus the ABS etc has to be an advantage.

I totally get you re V Campeur - at least they won't deliver to UK!

I'm not sure it's possible to use an electric inflation system. It simply won't be able to shift the volume of air fast enough. I CAN imagine an automatic electronic inflation trigger however, to remove the need to pull the toggle.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"an electric inflation system." - I wondered if it might be chemical, electrically initiated. But forget flying then I guess....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
feef, mishmash, I heard it from a good source I will update when I know who is doing it and how it works
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy