Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Re Fuel tip for those Snowheads driving to the french Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Just off the Riems sud junction on the new bypass is a massive E Leclec hypermarket , Gasoil (Diesel) was only 1.32 Euros , compared to 1.50 on the motorway services , the station is right on the junction so it is no hassle at all .
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheers nice to know,
I fill to the brim at the Ausanic in Calais its cheap and it gets me all the way down clear of the motorways then fill up locally.
BTW your best fill up in the Alps region as the standard diesel is winter fuel where as higher up the country I'm never to sure it is.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rob Mackley,Thanks for the tip. I love using that bypass and watching the satnav getting its underwear in a twist about driving over open fields.
Another money saving tip: we traveled down to Les Arcs with the skis on the roof rack since the car was full of Christmas presents and back with them in the car. Due to poorer aerodynamics it cost an extra £14 in fuel just for one leg of the journey.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dwarf...whereabouts in Calais is Ausanic please in relation to the eurotunnel exit...........

Cheers
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stefoy4me,

http://goo.gl/maps/LIwKR

Have a good feed at the buffalo grill then fill up Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
it will be about 10am in the morning.........overnight in Dijon...so perhaps then
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rob Mackley, We always stop there to refuel - often refuel with champagne too, if there are any offers in Leclerk Very Happy Its junction 23, Reims sud
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyone able to confirm whether the Leclerc has a height restriction on it? Seem to remember that an older supermarket nearby has a height restriction that means no cheap fuel for a Discovery with roofbox on?
On a similar note, the Leclerc at Troyes off the north junction is just as cheap, has no height restriction but is a 5 minute detour.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the carrefour at Chambery Nord also is pretty much the cheapest i ve seen..........or was last year
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We sometimes fill up in Calais, or often in Tesco at Ashford, otherwise I have to admit I tend to just gulp and fill up on the motorway, particularly if doing trip in one day. Allows a driver change and loo stop with minimal disruption to journey.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boris...i guess it depends on car size..............on my Range Rover from last year it could be as much as £25-30 difference on a tank full.......................doing that 3-4 times on a round trip is a substantial saving.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stefoy4me, fair point and one I will probably consider this year as I suspect (know!!!) the Disco won't get close to the 40mpg the Alhambra managed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The SuperU at Bourg St Maurice is very competitive for fuel prices for anyone heading that way. Was 1.32 for diesel last month IIRC. Like Boris I tend to do my one mid-journey fuel stop at a regular motorway service station to minimise journey & hassle time. I appreciate that it will cost me a few Euro more, but that's a price I'm prepared to pay to make the journey a bit easier.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Anyone able to confirm whether the Leclerc has a height restriction on it?

No it doesn't .
Quote:

The SuperU at Bourg St Maurice is very competitive for fuel prices for anyone heading that way. Was 1.32 for diesel last month

Agreed , worked out really well on return , filled up at Super U in BSM , 1.35 Euro then just got to Reims in my Discovery to fill up again .

new plan on way out fill up in Calais , top up in Reims just get to BSM .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don`t get caught out in a cold snap like I did last year in Jan; fueling up with cheap low country diesel, only to have it wax at -22 in the mountains. Even with a pre heater, all fuel lines have to thaw out, filters changed etc. Additives only work if added at 5C beforehand, and are bad for modern injectors. I now fill up in pre alps ( Chambery, valley routes) to avoid this. It was exceptionally cold last year, and caught fuel suppliers unawares, before anti waxing agents could be added. Petrolheads ignore this!
snow report
Cheapest fuel on recent trip was Auchan near Annecy.
latest report
cstreat, I have also always filled up locally (normally Annecy) and have seen people with waxed diesel at the resort (Tignes hit -26degC last year), all panicking because they were going to miss crossings etc... all for saving £10 on a tank. Your advice is good!
ski holidays
Cheers, I'm shortly about to drive out to Austria on my own via the tunnel and my heap only does 20 to the gallon Sad Any saving is much appreciated.
snow report
stefoy4me wrote:
the carrefour at Chambery Nord also is pretty much the cheapest i ve seen..........or was last year

Agree, very cheap and just off the route but beware, we filled up with diesel there on PSB2012 and turns out didn't have the additives and we ended up having to call breakdown assistance ( don't ask about the 'blow torch on fuel filter' approach!!!)
He confirmed lots of people fall into this trap!
As an aside, you can actually buy the additives in UK ( Wynns + others) just as a precaution if you feel the need!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy