Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpbach this weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Alpbach appeared on our radar for the first time this year with the new link to Auffach opening up the area. We're staying in a guesthouse in Alpbach.

Any advice much appreciated about:

nice runs for intermediate skiers
best access to slopes from Alpbach as it looks like we need a bus from our accommodation
best huts/bars etc
other resorts within easy reach to visit for a day.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tessaventer, I'm well-jell. Very Very beautiful place.

But I've only ever been in summer so can't help with your questions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi
I went to Alpbach for the first time in early march last season. I ski in austria approx 5 times each season and really enjoyed the area. I too stayed in a guesthouse and it is really easy on the bus to the lifts. As intermediate skiiers you will soon cover a lot of runs and be able to make your own assessment, but some long reds like 8 are lovely mainly treelined. this was my route home as I would ski down at 1700hrs and get the bus from inneralpbach back to the village. This meant a very quite run! The chairlift to the highest point also has some nice decents....but the beauty for me was the easy access to the off piste and from this top lift one can find some enjoyable decents. I don't tend to stop for lunch so cannot advise on huts although a beer stop at the end of the day on final decent...I found to be attractive in wooden style. If arriving at lunch time it is easy to get on the mountain for a god few hrs! The itinery run 5 is very attractive for views and I used this as a way back to inneralpbach after the off piste route. Iam sure and hope you have a great time! Pm me for any furthur advice
Sean
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
seany1, thanks for the info. Is the ski route back to Inneralpbach groomed at all? My legs not so good on the moguls these days!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi
Yes it is pisted and is basically a winding route down to inneralpbach although you can cut between. It has a gentle gradient akin to a blue
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Heading to Alpbach tomorrow. Lovely place some nice skiing and looking forward to seeing the new lift and slopes.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
seany1, Did you visit any other resorts while you were there which are worth going to? eg Niederau, and would say Westendorf be easy to get to?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have used neiderau as a base before. I skiied more in auffach which is easily accessible by lift now as linked to inneralpbach. Neiderau has some pleasant reds and a black run, and auffach has a particularly enjoyable red from top to base. The ski welt from neiderau is very close and I have had some great times there also, however if you do not have your own transport I am unsure of travel duration by bus. Carolyn who owns the auhof in neiderau may be able to advise furthur?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46151

Just looked at map and it is approx 37kmh from alpbach to soll ...a little furthur to westendorf

I must say having skiied austria in the region of 50 weeks I have never had a bad trip and pretty much loved all areas I have been to!
Sure you will have a great time
Sean
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cancel the trip to Alpbach and join us in Lech instead!!
Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Should be in Alpbach this Saturday for an afternoon ski en route to Ischgl. Looking forward to skiing here alot. The ski Juwel area looks like it has a lot to offer especially with the new link.

Im driving from Munich airport leaving about 9.30 but want to avoid potential traffic on motorway, so if any local can advise then this is the route im planning to hopefully avoid too many problems

http://goo.gl/maps/GbnTG
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whether it is worth leaving the motorway and driving by the Achensee, will depend on the traffic and road conditions. Saturday isn't a great time to be on the move. However, if you go that way it might be worth thinking about skiing in Christlum Achenkirch or maybe Maurach Rofan. Both small areas and busy at the weekend but would save you going so far out of your way. And you'd get onto the slopes earlier.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
daveqpr, as espri, says,
Quote:

Whether it is worth leaving the motorway and driving by the Achensee, will depend on the traffic and road conditions.

I used to regularly drive from Zillertal to Munich Airport (usually twice every Saturday) and would take the Achensee road more often than not. A clear run via Achensee took 20 minutes longer than a clear run on the motorway. However, the chances of a clear run on Saturday on the motorway were low, so via Achensee was usually quicker.
If you understand German, listen to the radio for traffic reports. They are regular and accurate and are very useful for figuring out which is the best option to take.
At the end of your journey, it wouldn't cross my mind to turn off the B171 at St Gertraudi. The road from there to Reith is narrow and steep. I would go a little further to Brixlegg and turn right at the roundabout. It is a much easier road.
I hope that helps.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy