Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help a newbie in Les Arcs 1600

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. As you can see from my post count I'm brand new to your wonderful site and fairly new to this skiing lark. I've just booked a week in LA 1600 19th to 26th Jan and can't wait. Proper excited. Anyway I've found Skimium's website for ski hire and wondered if any of you lovely chaps and chapesses had any thoughts. Is the kit any good and how do they compare pricewise? But please don't restrict yourselves, any info greatly appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi John. I worked as a rep in Arc 1600 two winters ago; I'll make an assumption that you're staying at La Cachette?! I didn't actually use Skimium, though I went in that store a few times and it looked perfectly fine. The main other options for ski hire that you'll find in 1600 are intersport and skiset, both of which were good (intersport perhaps having the slight edge on quality, skiset were busier and sometimes ran out of higher quality end skis).

In terms of going out, 1600 is very quiet. There are a couple of bars, L'Abreuvoir and L'Arvi, though neither are all that lively. Two or three restaurants too, but other than that its the quetest centre of Les Arcs (but great skiing access) There is however a decent bus service between all other parts of resort and 1600 is the central hub, so its very easy to finish the day skiing in another centre and have a few apres beers before getting the bus back.

Fire any specific questions and I'll get back to you tomorrow, bed awaits!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Who provides the best prices for advance booking can vary from resort to resort but snowbrainer (with the code BLUERUN) and alpinresorts (with the code SNOWBALL) tend to be the cheapest most often.
Alpinresorts cover a lot of intersport shops and are often cheaper than booking direct.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
john1969, welcome to Snowheads snowHead . I don't know Les Arcs but I have used skimium.com to book rental equipment. I don't think they are "a shop", you can book online with them with a range of shops - in different resorts. They seem to have a link with Precision in Les Arcs 1600 and you can book beginner boots and skis (which are probably sensible if you are a beginner, you don't want stiffer, more advanced, skis) for €73 which is pretty good. Further 5% off if you have a decathlon card. If I were you I'd check what Alpinresorts offers, as suggested by admin, and compare the two. Walking in off the street you are likely to pay more.

Have a great holiday. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
john1969, welcome to Snowheads snowHead . I don't know Les Arcs but I have used skimium.com to book rental equipment. I don't think they are "a shop", you can book online with them with a range of shops - in different resorts. They seem to have a link with Precision in Les Arcs 1600 and you can book beginner boots and skis (which are probably sensible if you are a beginner, you don't want stiffer, more advanced, skis) for €73 which is pretty good. Further 5% off if you have a decathlon card. If I were you I'd check what Alpinresorts offers, as suggested by admin, and compare the two. Walking in off the street you are likely to pay more.

Have a great holiday. snowHead
First off thanks for all the info, I've had a jolly afternoon looking at the options. Went with Intersport in the end, as alpinresorts don't seem to do a pick up in Arc 1600. Or if they do I missed it on their website.Dav
Quote:

I'll make an assumption that you're staying at La Cachette?!

Close, staying in Residence Cascade. Little studio €300 for the week. As good an option as any when your traveling alone, which I am. Got no mates see. Or at least none who can ski. As for the resort being quiet, good, that's why I booked 1600 instead of say 1800 for example. That and the price. I just want to get some miles under my belt and after a hard day at it, at my age (see if you can guess how old I am from my imaginative username) I'm fit for bed!!! Interesting you said LA 1600 was well placed for skiing access. I thought it might be a bit of a jaunt each day to get around. Anyway I'm waffling now, its because I'm just TOO EXCITED.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
john1969, Welcome to snowHead You'll have a lovely time snowHead Some of my favourite runs are in 1600. JohnE is the 1600 expert round here - might be worth pming him if he doesn't see this thread.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK genepi, I am prompted.

We just got back from Arc 1600 on Friday night after having a brilliant time. Now for some notes for john1969,

When people born in 1969 start claiming they too old for burning the candle at both ends then perhaps I should retire.
Anyway Arc 1600 is a really friendly place; because it is small everyone seems to know everyone else. I get a better welcome there than I do in the pubs at home.
The last time I skied on my own in Les Arcs I met another solo Englishman and we skied together for a while. Amazingly we had actually met years ago in a completely different context. Les Arcs is that kind of place.
We use the Abrevoir and the Arvi bars and they are very friendly and welcoming. The Abrevoir usually has a couple of live bands a week and they usually play some good music. However they usually spoil it by having some karaoke as well. The last time I went into Cafe Sol it was deserted. I gather it usually is until after midnight. The restaurant/bar at the bottom of the Trois Arcs Building (I cannot recall its name) attracts a lot of people from the UCPA. It gets lively in the early evening.
The Cairn, in the corner of the main square is a sensible restaurant where we eat out quite often. I was eating there a year or so ago on my own when Fernand, the owner, came over a placed a glass of genepi on my table for me. He also got me very drunk when his latest child was born. Pizza Charlotte does good take away pizza, but remember they close at 22:00.
For ski hire we use SkiSet, which is the nearest rental shop to the Cascade building. Book online and you should get a 30% or so discount. The equipment is of good quality. For servicing we use the twinner shop in the place of the dead tree where an edge and wax cost 10 euro.
A word of warning about the Cascade building. We had a bag of luggage stolen from there (we got it back) and a friend had his ski locker broken into and his board stolen. Just be careful and make sure everything is kept secure. The apartments there tend to be a little tired.
The upside of the Cascade is that you put your skis on and ski down to the Cachette lift and away you go. From the top of that lift it is one long run down to Vallandry or 1800 or one more lift and you are into the 2000 bowl. You can, of course ski back to your door. It never feels "out of the way"
Though not of interest for the dates you are going, we never found a queue at any of the 1600 lifts over the New Year week whereas some other lifts has massive queues of 5 to 10 minutes duration. If you are interested I will tell you where the really bad queues are.
The funicular to Bourg stops running at 20:00, but it is worth a trip down if you want to do some serious shopping or use the free wifi in MacDonalds.
If you want a night out in Arc 1800 get the navette there before 20:00 and walk back. To do the walk get the lift up and walk through one of the apartment blocks so that you pop out more or less on the Gollet piste and walk down that. It takes about half an hour. Bearing in mind that a major cause of death amongst British skiers is exposure from returning from the pub drunk I do not advocate that you do that walk alone. Nevertheless in the moonlight it can be a delightful stroll.
Have a good trip and if you want anymore information then please ask.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Absolutely love a hack down Malgovert followed by a fast blast down the Mont Blanc run above Arc 1600.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ringingmaster wrote:
Absolutely love a hack down Malgovert followed by a fast blast down the Mont Blanc run above Arc 1600.

That one is a cracker, flat out and big GS turns . . . bliss
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

That one is a cracker, flat out and big GS turns . . . bliss

Down Malgovert? Malgovert is quick feet and tight turns. Multiple routes between rock outcrops and trees. A fantastic route. There are very few routes on piste like it anywhere
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks like I've started something....
That's a load of useful info. you've given me for which I'm most grateful. What a nice bunch. Feel free to take it from here guys. Reminiscences, war stories anything you like. I'll watch from afar and pick up bits along the way. For example Malgovert and the Mont Blanc run are now a must. Thanks again guys.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mont Blanc run definitely John. Its served by a new lift out of Arc 1600 which has extended it slightly from a couple of years ago and its an absolute cracker for that first run in the morning to get your ski legs going. Only a blue, but very nice. Some others that are in my "must do" list on piste:

Top of Aiguille Rouge to Villaroger. 2km vertical descent, 7Km long piste that starts as a black, progresses to a red and finishes as a winding blue. A bit of everything along the way; glacier skiing, fast carving black, scenic red into wide sweeping expanse, moguls if you fancy it, and a scenic ski through the trees. Can you make it all the way without stopping?!?!

Red runs: Morey and Aigle over towards Vallandry (from the Grizzly lift); wide motorway reds that start as a hugely wide expanse above the tree line and then come for some tree skiing for the approach into Peisey/Vallandry. Also Belette (under the Derby lift)

Blue runs: I'm not too much of a fan of the blues as, particularly around the 2000 bowl, they're quite flat. That said Renard is decent (also off the aforementioned Derby lift) and Mont Blanc a must as has been mentioned.

In terms of lift pass: personally speaking I'd probably go for the Discovery pass which gives you one extra day over in La Plagne. The trip over in the Vanoise Express cable car on a sunny day is worth the money alone. But if you're truly aiming to put some serious mileage under your skis you could upgrade to the full Paradiski pass. But there is more than enough just at Les Arcs to keep you happy for a week (I did a season there and barely went to LP at all).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dav, has some excellent suggestions. Bellette and Combe are my favourite reds in the Vallandry sector.

Other suggested combination of routes include:

From of the Grande Col all the way to Pre st Espirit; a very varied run of about 1200m vertical, starts as a black has a flatish section in the middle then finishes down a blue. Then take the Combboucier lift up and take Malgover, Mt Blanc and Granges down to a mid station on the funicular.
From the Col du Chal or the top of the Cloccheret lift to Vallandry; long runs mixing sections of red and blue pistes.
From Clocheret to La Gange; start on the Clocheret piste then use Clapet to the top of the Cachette lift then down Arolles, Cachette or Rouelles to Arc 1600 and continue down Granges for another 1km+ vertical decent.

Personally I wouldn't bother with using the Paradiski option. There is lots of good skiing in Les Arcs without the need to go to La Plagne. On average we visit La Plagne once every 20 days of skiing in les Arcs.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Dav. For the extra €55 on an 8 day pass I thought I'd get the unlimited. I really fancy the idea of skiing to Champagny and back. I went there once when driving around the Alps (didn't ski in those days) and thought it was a magical place. Two years ago I went to Val D'isere with 3 guys who'd been skiing for up to 20 years, it was my second week on skis in an alpine environment! Can you imagine! They were first lift up, last lift up kind of guys if you know what I mean and knew the place like the backs of their hands. No time for a breather. Since it's just you and me here I'll admit that at one point though a combination of pain in my quads and visibility so poor I couldn't see the tips of my skis, I actually started to cry. I'm laughing now as I type this and I was laughing at the time, in the end, but I tell you what, I was a better skier at the end of the week. So there's a war story to get you started. Yes I'll get the Paradiski Unlimited and go for it mileage wise.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE, I'm being a pillock, thinking of the blue Belvedere. Now that is silly fun Embarassed

But there are places and times when Reches(sp?) is a complete hoot as is Coomb and the black next to it always empty Shocked

Hang on! Mont Blanc is the blue coming in from the left, got its own lift, yeah nice big turns, lovely for a knee dragger like me. not gonna waste that with little wiggles Toofy Grin
latest report
johnE: Wow dude, Grande Col all the way to Grange!!! I'd spent a bit of time with the piste map but didn't really 'get' how it all fit together. Those are some long runs. Less time on lifts more time on skis. I like your style. Then I'm guessing its funic. Cachette, Trans Arc 1+2 to the top of Col du Grand Renard and ski over to Grande Col lift from there. Rinse and repeat. Cheers pal, I'll give it a go. Going to be one hell of a report when I get back>
ski holidays
John, are you driving over there? If so and you buy either the Discovery or Paradiski pass you get a day's free skiing in each of the Three Valleys and Espace Killy (Tignes/Val d'Isere). I'm not sure if its changed this season, but previously what you had to do is get a voucher from the lift pass office in Les Arcs and take that with your lift pass to any of the lift stations in those resorts to qualify for your free day pass (at Tignes they give you free parking with it).

So if you fancied an entirely different day for just the cost of the petrol, that would be a good option. I'd suggest Tignes/VdI would be your quickest and easiest access point, probably around 45 minutes to an hour in the car if conditions are ok. You'd likely be looking at an hour to an hour and a half for 3 Valleys depending on traffic and road conditions, so still entirely doable. For parking, in Tignes you can just head to one of the lower villages (Les Brevieres or Les Boisses) and go from there, I always found it easier to just drive the extra 10 or 15 minutes up to Val Claret and park in the big car park by the lifts; as I say free all day, and saves you having to schlep all the way back down to the lower villages at the end of the day. For 3 Valleys you have all sorts of options, and could head to Courchevel, La Tania, Meribel or even VT quite easily if you fancied a longer drive.
ski holidays
john1969, Sorry but at pre st Espirit you have to take the combourcier lift (painfully slow) up and then down the other side of the ridge then down a bit of Belvedere, then turn right and nip down Deux Tete, (or alternatively, the much admired Malgervert) Mont Blanc and Granges. Half an hour after leaving the high mountain of the Grand Col you are in the gentle pastures of La Grange.

Aplologies again, but for every metre of descent there has to be a metre going up on the lifts. There are a number of ways of getting back but first you take the funicular and follow it with Mont Blanc, From there we usually take the Arpette, and Varet to the base of the Grand Col lift. I generally do not like the Trans Arc lift and will have lots of ear ache from the rest of the family if we end up having to use it, but it will drop you off at the Col du Chal from where it is a short ski and pole to the bottom of the Grand Col lift. If you find yourself at the top of the Col du Grand Renard you will need at least one more lift to get to the bottom of the Grand Col lift.

Dav, the other option for a different day's skiing is to use the free navette from the bottom of the funicular to La Rossiere then ski over to Italy for lunch. I am informed that the last bus back is however quite early at 15:30.

One further point that I have not touched on is that the lifts in Les Arcs close relatively late compared to many other ski resorts, for example we got the 16:30 lift from La Plagne, followed by the 16:45 Peisey lift and the Chantel lift sometime after 17:00. The main connecting lifts close about 16:45 (please check on the piste map) but even then do not despair, provided you are not in the Vallandry sector you can always get the navette back. Watching the last of the daylight over by Mont Blanc while cruising along the Gollet piste from 1800 is a beautiful experience.
ski holidays
johnE, you do raise a good point about lift closing times, particularly as john1969 is on his own and is planning on heading over to Champagny at least once. In my season, and despite me issuing very clear instructions every week to newly arrived guests to mind the clock, I still had two groups who missed the last Vanoise and were "stranded" on the La Plagne side. Cue a very expensive taxi journey for them when they realised that I couldn't/wouldn't go and pick them up.

john1969, you very much sound like you know what you're doing, but just make sure you check fully the times of the closure of the lifts, and also the route that you'll need to take back from Peisey/Vallandy to 1600, it invloves more than one uplift and can take longer than you think. Worst case you can catch one lift up and ski down into 1800 and catch a bus across, but as johnE says there is no bus service from Vallandry to the rest of the Les Arcs villages, and from there it can be close to an hour's drive back to 1600.
snow conditions
Thanks for the advise chaps. I'll take it canny for the first couple days because its been a couple of years since I was last on skis. Also I'm not the best with a piste map, am I the only one who thinks their more of an artistic impression?
johnE: I'll be checking out that evening run along Gollet, sounds delightful. Could do with a bird to impress.
Dav: No not driving, getting the Snow Train to BSM. You get the extra day or so, as I'm sure you know, so I think its ok pricewise. I get in to BSM at 6.15 Sat, Leave 22.15 Sat. 8 full days skiing. I heard you can leave luggage at someplace in the village. Was it at a laundry or am I getting mixed up? Sure I'll sort something.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy