Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do I carve my turns?

Poster: A snowHead
pam w, I saw a comment that someone had hit you, how are you...how bad is the injury? Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
its pretty easy to carve turns on a snowboard, so if you really want kit to help you, you could try a snowboard? The downside of course is that if you follow that course you will instantly turn into a degenerate psycho, intent on ruining everyone else's holiday by blasting down slopes at speeds beyond your ability and leaving a trail of destruction in your wake.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
monkey, You also spend as much time in this little BenZeBollocks screwing with their heads Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum wrote:
Pedantica, there was a video once posted in BZK that I don't know how to find again, but it made a big impression on me when I saw it, and I long to ski the way the chap did in the footage. You comment on side to side action reminded me of it. I wonder if someone recognised it.

It was a skier (fairly well built chap I think) coming straight down a hill towards the camera. He seemed to do nothing but face down the hill and he remained incredibly central over his skis as his legs seemed to move from side to side under him. The side to side action was really fast, but I'd long to be able to replicate it even at lower speed. I wish I could find the video again, but I can't remember exactly what he was demonstrating vs. what the vido might be called. Do you or anyone recognise it?

Megamum, did you find the video you were looking for? Your description sounds to me that it could be someone skiing on piste as a specific training exercise to develop their mogul skiing. The video most probably wouldn't be carving but then again it doesn't need to be.

Probably wasn't this exact video but is has a few example clips.

http://youtube.com/v/ZrRndk9_UJw

[edit: BTW this is elston. I posted as flowa by mistake]
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
elston, it could have been, but I think it was closer to the dynamic turns that the BASS skier was demonstrating (I've a notion that it may have been some national team members doing it).

Again this is close - it is like the BASS skier that rob@rar found,
http://youtube.com/v/z0eSifKmyMc

but not the video I had in mind (which was on a previous thread - Only 4 years worth to go through!!) - the skier was not lightly built and IIRC was wearing a dark outfit.

However, yes the sort of thing in the BASS video, or in the one here is what I'd like to aim at in the future (is there any harm having an unattainable goal) - they make it look effortless.

In your video aren't the feet of your moful skier close together? The Austrian instructor that I had would have loved me to do that!! Laughing

The mogul skiers balance is also astounding. What I did notice is that they only cross part of the mogul at the edge and seem to go across that part rather than around it - they almost seem to straight line them Shocked

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 14-01-13 13:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 cran
cran
rob@rar wrote:
Pushing your inside ski forwards at the start of the turn? No, that's really bad advice IMO.

Would be interested to know why?

I'm not saying you are wrong, but when I carve my inside ski is ahead of the outside one...

If I shouldn't be doing that then fair enough, but would like to know why before I think about changing it as it feels perfectly natural and balanced to me.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
must keep stummmmust keep it shut mmmmph!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum from memory I think this has been posted on here before. Its not just short turns though.

http://youtube.com/v/rzcaN17lbEc
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry, ^ that's me again. Got logged out.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Elston, Again very similar. Anyhow, whether I can find the video or not those are the sort of turns that I'd like to work towards. They make them look so easy I watch and I wonder why I just can't copy them, but I can't. I might be able to do one if I'm on the ball, but they make them look so uniform - its not fair!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum wrote:

However, yes the sort of thing in the BASS video, or in the one here is what I'd like to aim at in the future (is there any harm having an unattainable goal) - they make it look effortless.

No not at all. It will take plenty of effort on your part and you may never get there but you will get better. You may never get as good as you hoped but that doesn't really matter.

Megamum wrote:

In your video aren't the feet of your moful skier close together? The Austrian instructor that I had would have loved me to do that!! Laughing

The mogul skiers balance is also astounding. What I did notice is that they only cross part of the mogul at the edge and seem to go across that part rather than around it - they almost seem to straight line them Shocked

For what he is trying to achieve it is appropriate but remember it is only an exercise (or drill) to help him in the moguls, where that width stance is suitable. If you are skiing on piste like that 24/7 then the feet are too close.

[ BTW mogul skis are quite narrow and straight, so when skiing with the feet that close together the ski's tips/tails won't catch as much as say slalom skis (or BBRs lol) would ie where the ski's tips/tails are a lot wider than the waist.] [/quote]
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cran, if your not thinking about it, you are probably fine, but if you are using it to initiate the start of your turn then... maybe stop doing it! Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gatecrasher wrote:
Masque, one thing springs to mind when I see vids where people appear to be skiing asymmetrically is it's sometimes difficult to see for possible slope cambers on film.

You are correct, the slope did camber (I was there during filming) and this was a large cause for the "asymmetric" skiing (I would speculate the lad got caught out due to bad light and a poor inspection) Masque made a very basic error in his highly detailed analysis and bio mechanics ramblings in that he wasn't there and didn't have any knowledge of the conditions or intent of the skier. This is probably as he is used to reviewing video footage of a closed sport of gymnastics where the environment doesn't change. In an open sport such as skiing video review is quite dependent on having an understanding of the task and the environment.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cran wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Pushing your inside ski forwards at the start of the turn? No, that's really bad advice IMO.

Would be interested to know why?
Your inside ski will be ahead of your outside ski, and the more your centre of mass is inside your skis the greater this "inner tip lead" will be. But it should be a consequence of, and in proportion to, the angles you create. My problem with what was advocated in that Klaus Mair clip was that it was an artificial move created right at the start of the turn when there was no need to create that kind of stance. The result was hips that were excessively open (pointed to the outside of the turn), and a stance which was therefore weak.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret, harsh, and I did add a caveat to my posts. Coaching and judging in an arena is always live. But you're right I had no info on the conditions or intent and that an arena is a static relatively stable environment. But all you're saying is I'm wrong because I wasn't there, that's an opinion. You say it's entirely the conditions. I say different though the conditions may certainly exacerbate the way he uses his body but that doesn't mean my observations are wrong and I've kept saying I'd like to see more to be sure. If you see him again, take some more vid and we can put this to bed. If you know the lad, do some face-on single pitch shooting. I don't mind being told I'm talking out of the wrong hole but I would be good to have more to base it on than you weren't there so shove it.

Again we're back discussing extremes in an 'early intermediate' thread conversation. flowa's, post above is perfect to support the gist of this thread, we didn't need a lad fighting the hill and as you say, skiing asymmetrically, as part of it . . . add to that I was asked for my thoughts, I didn't throw them out there as an example.
snow conditions
Masque, soz didnt mean to be harsh but you do waffle on a bit so was trying to be concise Toofy Grin The footage Rob grabbed was just a random run, it could have been a training run and he was being tasked to incline more into the turn, it could of been a timed run and he was going full out but who knows.... I think what he was trying to demonstrate was the amount of lateral movement a skilled skier gets when carving... Not sure you are right or wrong , my point was that you seemed to read a heck of a lot from a single piece of video and with such a limited amount to go on you reached some very highly detailed "findings" which are very arguable... fair play you mentioned later you would need more to go on to be sure...

Not sure why I am chipping in here as the powder is most excellent here in Meribel so forgive me if i dont reply... snowHead
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
Not sure why I am chipping in here as the powder is most excellent here in Meribel so forgive me if i dont reply... snowHead

Now you're just being a barsteward Evil or Very Mad
wink
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

Now you're just being a barsteward Evil or Very Mad
wink

To be honest it's not too bad in Morzine either wink
ski holidays
Well I've just had a girl in a leather bikini walk past the flat Toofy Grin so I have a minor compensation . . . if she hadn't been middle-aged and a little . . . ahem . . . saggy? The compensation would have been greater.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 14-01-13 18:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Masque, Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

The footage Rob grabbed was just a random run

and thank goodness it was a random racer and not one of his pupils; can't imagine what Masque might have made of my efforts at carving. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
pam w, I ask, could I be cruel to you? . . . Twisted Evil

I'm not looking forward to having my arѕe handed to me on a plate when vids of my skiing surface . . . there are some out there from last winter. Confused
snow report
 cran
cran
gatecrasher, rob@rar, Thanks, it's not something I try to do, it's just the way it is...

To be honest I haven't really got a clue what I do snowHead I just turn...
ski holidays
cran wrote:
gatecrasher, rob@rar, Thanks, it's not something I try to do, it's just the way it is...
Which is exactly the way it should be.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy