Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warning! No ski boots in cabin from London Southend Easyjet.

Poster: A snowHead
GrahamN I was refusing to the original post warning us all you can't take boots as hand luggage, I havnt read many of the other posts!

As far as items going missing in transit, well that's a whole different topic and an unavoidable risk, as luggage for a weeks skiing will invariably involve the need to check a case in (short of wearing all ski gear and taking 1 change of clothes!)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I always rather hope my case will get lost as it's a god-given chance to go shopping. sod's law that it never has yet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjb,
Quote:

an unavoidable risk

It is easily avoidable by the means outlined by GrahamN and by me.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27, true, I got a fabulous pair of waterproof boots courtesy of the BA Venice cock-up.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I asked my cabin crew friend about this, apparently around 0.5% of aircraft luggage gets lost/delayed and 4% gets damaged. So it's a pretty small risk and you can always claim the cost of hire equipment plus losses/damages against the airline. Personally I don't have a problem with this. I may end up hiring boots anyway this season since I sold mine on fleabay (although I am hoping to buy some new ones in resort).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia wrote:
I asked my cabin crew friend about this, apparently around 0.5% of aircraft luggage gets lost/delayed and 4% gets damaged.
So almost 1 in 20 chance that your kit might go astray or be damaged. It's not unusual for me to take 10 flights a year to go skiing, so I have to say I'm not liking my odds too much. Couldn't care less if my skis go missing, but it would be a complete disaster if my ski boots don't arrive with me in resort. So because they are precious to me (imagine a Gollum impression at this point) and because I try to minimise the cost of my luggage (imagine a Scrooge impression at this point) I prefer to put my boots in my hand luggage. I've bought a nifty pack which has separate pockets for each skiboot and also carries a laptop securely. Works a treat and fits in regular hand luggage size limits.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia, I honestly don't care about the rest, but hire boots are the work of the devil.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia, replacing boots that you have had professionally fitted is one massive headache.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pedantica, I don't mind hire boots. They might smell a bit but so do my feet... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Elston, snap! Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
According to Monarch ski boots are a "blunt instrument" and can't be carried in hand luggage!

http://www.monarch.co.uk/faq/flights/baggage/baggage-prohibited%20items
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Has anyone on here actually been stopped from taking their ski boots on as hand luggage by Easyjet, or is this all just paranoia about some poorly worded blurb on their website?

I've never had a problem taking a boot bag in the cabin.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andy from embsay wrote:
According to Monarch ski boots are a "blunt instrument" and can't be carried in hand luggage!

http://www.monarch.co.uk/faq/flights/baggage/baggage-prohibited%20items

Useful to know you can't take a kayak in your hand luggage rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CathS wrote:
Has anyone on here actually been stopped from taking their ski boots on as hand luggage by Easyjet, or is this all just paranoia about some poorly worded blurb on their website?

The OP said security staff at Southend had been briefed to stop people, so presumably someone has, yes. A quick google shows that lots of people have been stopped at various airports (didn't Chambery have a sign up last year?), but it looks like (at least) EJ and Monarch have now formalised it.

I'm not sure it's actually "poorly worded" - "Please note ski boots cannot be carried as hand luggage" is pretty clear.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andy from embsay wrote:

I'm not sure it's actually "poorly worded" - "Please note ski boots cannot be carried as hand luggage" is pretty clear.

But, as GrahamN has pointed out, there is no mention of ski boots anywhere in Easyjets' formal terms and conditions or baggage conditions.
ski holidays
CathS wrote:

Not by EasyJet or same trip, but by Balkan out of Manchester and pal we were travelling with was made to check his for return flight from Chambrey by security, and on both occasions we were charged, me for sports kit and him for excess baggage.

So I just pack them and take clothes as carry on.

Other friends had their skis taken by mistake off the carousel in USA, insurance just let them hire until they found their way back, they didn't miss any skiing, just a small inconvenience.
snow report
Just checked, It happened to us in 2005 with Balkan http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=29248#702429 and 2009 at Chambery http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46548#1137142. Not quiite the same but similar.
latest report
Flew with ej from leeds yesterday and asked the check in desk staff about boots in a case that would fit in the guage for hand baggage, no problem was the answer. The dimension for hold baggage is 275 cm. L+W+ H so my ski bag is 175 cm long, leaving 50cm for height and50 cm for width, holy cow thats a big bag, I just treat my ski bag as a long suitcase and check it in as a normal hold bag with skis and clothes, not sports equipment
ski holidays
WayneC, but no, not just a small inconvenience. I would be significantly, as Rob notes above and others have, inconvenienced by not having my boots arrive with me.

And my insurance, generally excellent though it has proven, might be a tad grumpy about forking out for a new pair of properly fitted ski boots.

Hre boots would, unquestionably, be painful and several orders of performance lower. Not an option.
snow report
tangowaggon, and that's the frustration - poorly briefed staff and inconsistent policies(do they use Servisair at Leeds?). Which is why I've got an EJ email that tells them my boot bag can go separately to my skis and another that telle them there's no weight limit for my bike bag ).

I'm not sure I'd risk taking them as hand luggage personally (taking into account all those with uncomfortable hire boots and performance issues - I have fairly average feet and I'm so crap I don't think any boots would make that much difference to performance, unless I was doing something involving climbing) but EJ could simply point to their catch-all H&S clause which is in the t&cs and your boots go where they say.
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
rjb,
Quote:

an unavoidable risk

It is easily avoidable by the means outlined by GrahamN and by me.

By wearing all your kit on the plane?

I'm sorry we will have to agree to disagree this time Very Happy
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
I asked my cabin crew friend about this, apparently around 0.5% of aircraft luggage gets lost/delayed and 4% gets damaged.

But that's an average. Most delays will be due to missed transfers which you can avoid by leaving at least 1.5 hours between each leg on outward journey, less important on way home. I've only arrived without bags once at a destination 12 years ago (and I take approx 50 flights a year, mostly work and a combination of short/long haul) I often cut it fine on way home and when the bags havent made it they are delivered to my home next day.

However after reading this thread I'll take my custom footbeds in hand luggage just in case.
snow conditions
Over the last 6 years, multiple EJ flights each year have seen my board bag right up to 32kg, containing board and skis, 2 pairs of boots, skiing clothing, normal clothing.

I have never been asked what is in the bag.
snow report
bar shaker, I think that's absolutely fine - it's the ski boots in hand luggage that seems to be the issue. It's jet2 (I think) that state "no clothes in sporting goods bags" don't they?
latest report
Took my boots as hand luggage last year with Jet2 no problem. Going with Monarch this year asnd reading all these posts thinking is it just as easy to put them in the case and fill hand luggage with clothes. Or, plead ignorance if over the weight limit when checking in Confused Confused
snow report
rjb,
Quote:

By wearing all your kit on the plane?
I don't. If you can't be bothered to read what other people post, it's best not to comment on it.
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:
bar shaker, I think that's absolutely fine - it's the ski boots in hand luggage that seems to be the issue. It's jet2 (I think) that state "no clothes in sporting goods bags" don't they?

No easyjet are stating that this year too, new for this year with Easyjet as far as I can see is no boots in hand baggage and no clothes in with ski equipment Mad
ski holidays
Info as received with my E ticket last week. I'm flying into Freidrichshafen on Jan 26th.

"This is a Monarch scheduled flight from South Terminal. Please note
this flight number will be displayed with a ZB prefix. Check-in is 2
hours prior to departure. Online check-in is not available. Your
checked-in luggage allowance is 20kg p.p.(boot bags are included
in your hold luggage allowance and cannot be carried as cabin
baggage). Hand baggage allowance is 1 piece up to 5kg
(max 56cm x 45cm x 25cm). Excess baggage is charged by the
airline at £10/kg. One pair of skis or a snowboard may be carried if
pre booked-each ski bag should only contain a set of skis or a
board. Airlines may refuse ski bags containing boots, clothes etc."
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the rocks wrote:

However after reading this thread I'll take my custom footbeds in hand luggage just in case.

That's a great idea, especially as I usually take them out as soon as I get home to make sure they aren't damp.
ski holidays
I've flown *ALOT* over the past 2 years, my baggage has failed to arrive the same time as me at least 3 times. Fortunately every time has been on the return journey and usually when I've had a connecting flight, ie Singapore->LHR->Manchester. Bag has always made it to LHR, but not to Manchester!

Off with Monarch myself Thursday, good spot on the boots thing! Sad
snow conditions
Thomas Cook also now explicitly state that ski boots cannot be carried in hand luggage.
(I booked with them earlier today).
snow conditions
interestingly I just tweeted Monarch and their reply is

Quote:
you can put ski boots in your hand baggage as long as it doesn't exceed 10KG or 56cm x 40cm x 25cm total.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
interestingly I just tweeted Monarch and their reply is

Quote:
you can put ski boots in your hand baggage as long as it doesn't exceed 10KG or 56cm x 40cm x 25cm total.

A case of one hand not knowing what the other is doing by the sound of things.

Wouldn't want to turn up at checkin and have an issue, so I think boots will be in my suitcase.
latest report
Quote:

Pedantica, that's a sensible approach if you're genuinely worried about bags being lost - however I've never lost a bag in decades of flying (not saying it doesn't happen - I know it does, just not to me or anyone I know), and I suspect that with all the heightened focus on having the right bags on the right plane it's probably even rarer now. I'll check boots in, along with all my clobber, but this will doubtless be the year my skis, boots and bobble hat go missing!

It is actually very common for some flights to not carry all the checked skis and boards, as crap TOs fly crap small planes to Chambery and don't limit the number of ski bags they will take payment for. If you're unlucky and your skis get ditched, you get them the next day (if you are lucky) and so you are screwed if you packed everything in your ski bag!
latest report
I find that getting one of these prior to going on holiday helps tremendously.

snow conditions
Just returned from a week in 3V. I couldn't post during the week. My original post was sent from Southend airport after we were forced to pay £25 to check hand luggage containing ski boots into the hold. We had never had a problem with ski boots in hand luggage travelling from many other airports over many years. As a subsequent poster has revealed, this is a 'new' EJ rule and since I thought that others might be caught out I thought I would just post a warning to SnowHeads.
snow report
just another reason to try and avoid them. If you put boots in a normal carry on it is not obv that there are ski boots in it. Security dont check what airline you are flying on so once you are past security you are fine. I always try and fly BA or Swiss, much easier and prices arent all that different really and no hassles! On EJ are skis and boots in sep bags counted as one bag??
snow report
BMG wrote:
just another reason to try and avoid them.

Which is fine if you're not in the north of England where we have no choice.

Quote:
On EJ are skis and boots in sep bags counted as one bag??

Yes - and I have an email confirming it just in case...
snow report
andy from embsay, have you tried to ski in boots that don't fit. no fun at all. Once you get a good pair of boots that fit and don't hurt/chafe/give you dead feet you will understand that your trip is going to be crap without your boots. For everything else there is mastercard
snow report
Quote:

Security dont check what airline you are flying on so once you are past security you are fine

In the case of Southend airport, Easyjet is the main airline, so security already know who you're flying and the airport operator (Stobart) and Easyjet have a very close commercial relationship. I suspect there aren't many people trying to get ski boots on the Aer Lingus Dublin flights that are about the only other significant operator/route from SEN.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy