Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warning! No ski boots in cabin from London Southend Easyjet.

Poster: A snowHead
Security staff at London Southend not allowing ski boots in hand luggage due to Easyjet's 'new policy' of no ski boots in cabin whether in hand luggage or on your feet! Future travellers should take this as a warning!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Because they can be used as a weapon.....simple really.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Smokin Joe, the average snowHead IS a weapon . . . Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Because it is in the Easyjet luggage conditions! http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4039/kw/ski%20boots
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Smokin Joe wrote:
Because they can be used as a weapon.....simple really.

just get your duty free, which can be used as blunt, sharp or flammable.....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
White stilettos are the in-cabin weapon of choice an at Southend
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And in the right hands a thong can be deadly Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crazy, good reason not to use them. I do wonder why it is a problem.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jake43, because there is always a chance that objects can fall out of overhead lockers onto someone's head. I really wish airlines would make people put all suitcases in the hold too. It would make boarding and disembarking so much quicker and easier.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia wrote:
Jake43, because there is always a chance that objects can fall out of overhead lockers onto someone's head. I really wish airlines would make people put all suitcases in the hold too. It would make boarding and disembarking so much quicker and easier.
queen bodecia, but then there would be more hold bags and an even longer wait at the carousel! But I am all for limiting passengers to one carry-on bag of approximately the correct dimensions.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I used to sit and wait in departure for all the shoving and pushing to finish before boarding . . . just saunter down, throw my pack in the overhead and plonk my backside in my seat and plug in my earphones . . .

Not any bloody more Evil or Very Mad especially on transatlantic flights . . . the amount of CRAP and the size of the carryons is just bloody ridiculous. Last trip I had one tosspot pull my bag out of the overhead and throw it up the aisle Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad so he could try to fit what was plainly a suitcase in the locker. It wouldn't fit and doors were already closing and checks were being done and the crew pulled his bag out and told him it would have to go in the hold . . . Words were exchanged Twisted Evil and as we pushed away I saw his bag sitting on the skywalk end, he didn't. I got a nice wink from the lady crew member when I put my pack back up in the overhead Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davkt, but that is NOT their terms and conditions. As far as I can see, that is the only reference to ski boots on the entire EJ website. The "terms and conditions", and "baggage policy" make no reference to them being prohibited, and give no reason as to why they should be. So it looks to me like it's just some rule made up by customer services, which has become perpetuated in that response. I do remember several years ago when this came up once previously that the reason for the response was that the blades on the bottom were dangerous, i.e. the customer service agent was getting confused between ski boots and ice-skates.

For those commenting here (and in other threads) about objects falling onto someone's head, their cabin baggage policy and other marketing literature brag very loudly that (unlike other airlines) there is NO weight restriction on cabin baggage, just a physical size, and that it is relatively easy to put it in the overhead locker yourself.
Easyjet wrote:
No weight restriction applies however you must be able to place and retrieve the item of baggage safely in the overhead lockers without assistance.
(their bolding). So, provided I could relatively easily put it in there, I could fill a rucksack full of rocks and there would be no restriction. I could also carry on (and am even encouraged to do so by the airside retail outlets) several glass bottles, which could easily come to a similar weight, and with a few well aimed swipes turn them into lethal weapons - all sanctioned by EJ's policies.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, reminds me of a story of an an obnoxious passenger who was horrible to the check-in staff. When he had moved on the person next in line commiserated and the check-in girl said "Don't worry, he's going to New York and his bags to Hong Kong" Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We were stopped putting ski boots in cabin 4 years ago at Newcastle on BA flight to Gatwick - we had no other carry on just pair of boots each and reason given was weapon they had to go into the hold - annoying thing is 1 pair ended up broken.
latest report
post deleted non relevant

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 6-01-13 17:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:
no ski boots ... on your feet! Future travellers should take this as a warning!

The warning is for muppets who'd attempt it most likely !! Thankfully I've never had to watch anyone actually wearing ski boots attempt to board a plane or worse, having them sit next to me. Clonking up and down steps in my own ski boots which are Vibram rubber soled, have a walk mode and are 1/2 the weight of regular Alpines is bad enough, but the thought of boarding, flying and disembarking with them on sounds like hell.
latest report
moffatross, I've done a few trips in the past where I minimise my luggage to just a skibag by wearing my touring boots on the plane. No problem. (OK one of the four EJ flights I took didn't want them on my feet, but were happy for me to take the shells off and put them in the lockers). Got several appreciative comments about minimising the time to getting on the slopes from BA flight-deck staff as I walked off. I'd agree with you though about not wanting to wear Alpines.
snow report
GrahamN, EJ now let you take a boot bag as well as a ski bag as part of one "sporting item" (but no clothes in your ski bag).
ski holidays
Simple solution that works every time for me: don't put your boots in a boot bag - just pop them in a small rucksack so they don't look like ski boots!
latest report
PeDaSp wrote:
Simple solution that works every time for me: don't put your boots in a boot bag - just pop them in a small rucksack so they don't look like ski boots!
I've had no problem in the past carrying my boots in a rucksack.
But you do have to put that through the security scanner - is the issue now that security staff (not airline staff) might not let you through?
snow report
GrahamN wrote:
moffatross, I've done a few trips in the past where I minimise my luggage to just a skibag by wearing my touring boots on the plane. No problem. (OK one of the four EJ flights I took didn't want them on my feet, but were happy for me to take the shells off and put them in the lockers). Got several appreciative comments about minimising the time to getting on the slopes from BA flight-deck staff as I walked off. I'd agree with you though about not wanting to wear Alpines.

GrahamN, wearing liners on board would be OK, but padding about a less than pristine airport (and its loos etc) in liners would be a no-no. More to the point though, although I'm relatively gobby on web forums, in the real world, I also hate attracting attention and/or the thought of inconveniencing anyone else so I'd give it a miss anyway. Laughing
snow conditions
1gunsalute wrote:
PeDaSp wrote:
I've had no problem in the past carrying my boots in a rucksack.
But you do have to put that through the security scanner - is the issue now that security staff (not airline staff) might not let you through?

I carry a Glock 26 with me at all times. If the security staff start moaning, I just pop a few caps in their back bottom, grab my boots, and make my way to the gate.
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:

I am with you on that but what is wrong with boots compared to a 10Kg bag of any other sort. My boot bag is 6kgs so would be much gentler on your skull. Not to mention that duty free stuff, which someone else mentioned too, that is transported round the globe which is crazy. Why not go through a duty free shop on your way into a country.

Mine go in my hold bag, unless going for a very long trip and I need the weight allowance.
snow conditions
moffatross wrote:
wearing liners on board would be OK, but padding about a less than pristine airport (and its loos etc) in liners would be a no-no.
Agreed. In this particular case it was one of Cabin Crew who objected as I got to the top of the steps. So just took the shells off in the doorway and she was happy (maybe it would have been a different story if at the end of the tour considering the increased bio-hazard Wink ). There had been no problem at check-in (I changed into them just before checking in) or security - and none anywhere on the return trip either. For the last few years I've not been doing much more than day-tours so always used alpine and the situation hasn't arisen since the security crackdowns.

I'm not particularly outrageous in real life, but have no major problem if what seems reasonable to me makes me seem a bit of a dick to others.

If at all possible now my boots go in my hand luggage. I've spent several hundred on getting them to fit, my feet are an awkward shape and if the boots go missing my holiday would be ruined until they got returned as the chance of rentals fitting the bill are nil.
snow conditions
GrahamN, I'm not with you Puzzled The link to easyjets baggage policy quoted by davkt says "please note that ski boots cannot be carried as hand baggage". It's new this year.
snow conditions
That really is bad news. The thought of having to use hire boots again is horrific.

Is there anything in BA's T & Cs to support this:
Quote:

We were stopped putting ski boots in cabin 4 years ago at Newcastle on BA flight to Gatwick - we had no other carry on just pair of boots each
?
latest report
Am I missing something? Ski boots in hold luggage, if short of space/weight but clothes in carry on luggage? Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the rocks wrote:
Am I missing something? Ski boots in hold luggage, if short of space/weight but clothes in carry on luggage? Puzzled

I think people are worried about losing their luggage.
latest report
andy from embsay, yes. I always pack (and dress for travelling) in such way that I can ski on day one even if one piece of luggage gets lost. But I don't have two pairs of ski boots, and the thought of having to use hire ones if mine go astray is what bothers me (and others too, I'm sure.)
snow report
Pedantica, Seriously? you carry (or wear) all your ski kit in case your suitcase gets lost?
snow report
I fail to see the issue here? If you are taking boots you generally know this when booking your flight so factor it in and book winter sports equipment, put them in your boot bag and check them in with your case! It really isnt rocket science is it?

With the redicules security at airports now I don't take a single peice of hand luggage when traveling, just passport, wallet & phone! The skis, boots and suitcase all get checked in!
ski holidays
red 27, sort of. I wear my ski jacket and sometimes my ski pants (which are of stretchy material which doesn't look very ski pant-ish) and I'll divide everything else of which I've got more than one/one pair, including underwear, base layers, socks, gloves etc, either between my ski bag and my suitcase or, if I'm shoving most things in a board bag, then I'll put one set of skiing essentials in my hand luggage. That just leaves me stressing about what to do with my helmet and goggles. wink

rjb, there are two problems, one is the cost of multiple items of checked-in luggage and the other is losing your kit.
ski holidays
Pedantica, that's a sensible approach if you're genuinely worried about bags being lost - however I've never lost a bag in decades of flying (not saying it doesn't happen - I know it does, just not to me or anyone I know), and I suspect that with all the heightened focus on having the right bags on the right plane it's probably even rarer now. I'll check boots in, along with all my clobber, but this will doubtless be the year my skis, boots and bobble hat go missing!
latest report
sarah, yes that's what that FAQ from customer support says. But I'm working on the theory that it's just something made up by customer support - as there's nothing in the formal terms and conditions or baggage conditions that agrees with that.

The idiocy of those new additions is also show by the line in that FAQ
FAQ wrote:
Please note that you are not allowed to pack sports equipment and clothes together.
that is directly contradicted further down:
further down FAQ wrote:
1 bag, 1 sporting item • total allowance 2 items @ 32kg total
• 1 item must be a genuine sporting good as defined
• you may distribute weight between items as desired

so you have to have sporting goods in the sporting goods bag, non-sporting goods in the non-sporting goods bag, but can then move anything between the two bags. A logical impossibility if you can pack nothing but sporting equipment in the "sports" bag. And further in the
Terms and Conditions wrote:
20.6 Sports Equipment
In order to be considered “Sports Equipment Baggage”, the Baggage must contain at least one item of sports equipment set out in Our approved list.
(my italics). So to get the extra weight allowance you must have some sports equipment with you, but the T&Cs do not say you can't have anything else in there as well. There's further illustration of that in the
Baggage terms wrote:

Buying weight allowance for sporting goods gives you a 12kg extra weight allowance. You must be travelling with sports equipment (as listed in the booking process), although the exact weight distribution between items doesn’t matter. For example:
One passenger travelling buys a bag and an additional sporting allowance. This gives an allowance of 2 items (which must include 1 sporting item), at a total weight of 32kg. However, if the sporting item is 18kg and the bag is 14kg then that’s fine with us!
Two passengers are travelling with one hold bag and two pieces of sports equipment. This gives an allowance of 3 items (which must include 2 sporting items), at a total weight of 44kg. The exact distribution of weight between baggage items doesn’t matter, subject to the maximum weights detailed above for health and safety reasons.
(again my italics) and then they go on to reiterate that the sporting good bag should contain sporting goods - i.e. at least one item of those listed.

So I'm going to work on "don't ask, don't tell" - and be prepared to repack if challenged and I lose the argument.

red 27 yes, I do too. Boots fit nicely inside daysack that meets hand baggage limits, socks/goggles inside one boot, longjohns and baselayer inside the other, shell trousers pack flat against boots; wear fleece, shell jacket, gloves in pocket. Last time I flew I even wore my helmet onto the plane (as it would exceed the bag dimension if clipped onto bag - but there's nothing against taking a hat Wink ).

rjb you're not reading very well, are you? At least 3 posts have said the point is to avoid the chance of at least one day of your holiday being ruined by luggage going missing.
latest report
andy from embsay, it's actually only happened to me once: I spent Christmas in Venice, while my suitcase had a holiday in Portugal!
snow conditions
andy from embsay, little miss spock had her luggage go astray for the PSB last month. She was scouting around to borrow kit to go skiing the first day or two. Can't remember if she got it back at all during the week - it was certainly more than one day.
ski holidays
GrahamN, wow, that is a masterly interpretation of T&Cs. You're in the wrong job! wink
snow conditions
GrahamN, got you now thanks Smile That's my whole issue with Easyjet it's just so bloomin' ambiguous hence the repeated threads on here and people interpreting the rules and guidelines in various ways.

I generally pack to be 'safe' for the first day if I have to do connecting flights but not usually otherwise, although I do crosspack for the three of us across the 2 or 3 bags just in case one goes missing. BA lost one of our cases on honeymoon, I had a nice spending spree and then it turned up Smile
ski holidays
GrahamN, possibly one of the benefits of flying from Leeds. There's not enough flights to lose stuff. Are any of you lot cyclists? How d'you get your bike on as hand luggage? I'd be much more unhappy at having to ride a hire bike than hire some boots for a couple of days. Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy