Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is budget family skiing possible?

Poster: A snowHead
Yep, definitely different weight distribution. In fact, other than the longer strides, it is quite different to the trained eye. i.e. the hockey blade doesn't have a toe rake, so the whole blade can be used, a lot of gliding by figure skaters and continuous skating in hockey.

Figure skaters don't initiate a turn by leaning forward on to the outside boot, inside edge. They'll face plant due to toe rakes.

As for slalom it looks similar, but again this is done on skates middle to heel, ski's is from middle to toe.

Power skating is something that both figure and hockey learn, it's learning to use your edges for optimum speed and using the least energy. This again in the main stride is mid to heel, the mid to toe of the skate blade is used for acceleration.

But this would all come down to the level of ability. For someone who skated everyday for 20yrs+(figure or hockey), skiing is the opposite of instinctual reaction.

Based on this I would say that basic skating would probably help, but pro level in either figure or hockey wouldn't, due to natural instinct. So, a hindrance to me and apparently to a few friends who still teach figure skating (1 of them Austrian) and those still involved in pro hockey. It is different, but will click when when you stop the instinctual reactions from skating.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grizwald, it depends how you do it. Cheapest ferry is Dover - Dunquerque or similar. But we've also done Hull - Zeebrugge and Newcastle - Amsterdam. More expensive ferry but includes a cabin so saves on a Travelodge. It's worth it is you fill the car. Also we have take. An extra day out in Ypres and / or Bruges. Taken the kids round the WWI battlefields. An experience.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, definitely different weight distribution. In fact, other than the longer strides, it is quite different to the trained eye. i.e. the hockey blade doesn't have a toe rake, so the whole blade can be used, a lot of gliding by figure skaters and continuous skating in hockey.

Figure skaters don't initiate a turn by leaning forward on to the outside boot, inside edge. They'll face plant due to toe rakes.

As for slalom it looks similar, but again this is done on skates middle to heel, ski's is from middle to toe.

Power skating is something that both figure and hockey learn, it's learning to use your edges for optimum speed and using the least energy. This again in the main stride is mid to heel, the mid to toe of the skate blade is used for acceleration.

But this would all come down to the level of ability. For someone who skated everyday for 20yrs+(figure or hockey), skiing is the opposite of instinctual reaction.

Based on this I would say that basic skating would probably help, but pro level in either figure or hockey wouldn't, due to natural instinct. So, a hindrance to me and apparently to a few friends who still teach figure skating (1 of them Austrian) and those still involved in pro hockey. It is different, but will click when when you stop the instinctual reactions from skating.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JohnHSmith wrote:

DIY. Think about driving. I'm up in Cumbria and if I can get away reasonably promptly on a Friday after work and if the car is packed in advance, I can be at the channel by midnight.

The theory is fine but an M6/M1/M25 accident or sheer volume of traffic can slow the motorway to a crawl and I'm not sure if it is safe to be driving at midnight if you've been up at 6am and done a full days wok.

With the driving option you may also have the cost of European insurance, snow chains,warning triangles, spare bulbs, breathaylser kits etc which all mounts up.

I once flew from Gatwick while others went by car. Because of the inevitable waiting around at airports and of the transfer coaches, there wasn't as much in it timewise as I thought there would be, but the car travellers were very bored with the time in the car.

If travelling from the North, the more appealing the flight becomes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JohnHSmith, No doubt we'll revert to using the car once we have kiddies. I skied Raise (next to Ulswater) a couple of years ago when we had that really long cold snap over Xmas and new year. Got some pics somewhere, nice to be able to say I've skied 25 mins from home! Can't see it this year, can't believe how mild and wet it's been. I get north of the border a bit if conditions are right only really 3ish hours from Carlisle.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Grizwald, Not done Raise (but friends have) although have done Yad Moss a few times. If driving, we found the best way was to make the journey a part of the holiday (stop off at Ypres or Rheims or anywhere) and get a portable DVD player to keep the kids entertained. We also manage the odd day trip to Glenshee
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In 2012, driving from Holmfirth to Termignon (towards the top end of the Maurienne valley) and back, our car covered 1918 miles using 233.11 litres of fuel at a sterling equivalent cost of £329.11. That’s 37.4 mpg and a cost per mile of just over 17p. The total cost of french tolls was €169.10. Total cost of holiday was £617 each including half-board accommodation:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2027068

With self-catering and careful planning I reckon £500 each is easily achievable EXCLUDING gear and lessons. I'd book a taster session or even a learn-to-ski-in-a-day session at a local fridge to see if you're hooked first.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Didn't get it for under £1500, but close enough..... £1,650 for three of us to Pas de la Casa, travel, HB meals, 3 star hotel, lift pass, equipment and lessons. First week of an Easter school holiday too. It was 3 years ago though.

Check out anywhere that is offering free kids places (crystal and inghams do, not sure on others), also check out resorts that are offering BOGOF list passes and it may be possible.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just did a search for Slovenia mid March with Crystal. HB hotel and travel for less than £1,000, add in first time ski packs for you and your 12yo it comes to £1,391. The issue seems to be with the 4 yo, they don't seem to have a ski package available for them, might be worth a call to see what they offer (the ski pack for kids is £164).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't know if budget family skiing is possible if you are stuck to School Holidays, and have kids who want to ski a bit but not all day.

I suppose it depends what you class as Budget, and what you value in a ski holiday.

I have just been quoted the best part of £5000 (2 adults 2 kids) to go to La Plagne over New Year 2013/14, with Crystal, staying at their club Hotel the Terra Nova.

It does include their full day childcare x 2 (including lessons)
Lift passes
skis & boots
Flights, Transfers and HB accom.

Is that good value?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
james75 wrote:
I don't know if budget family skiing is possible if you are stuck to School Holidays,

I suppose it depends what you class as Budget, and what you value in a ski holiday.

I have just been quoted the best part of £5000

Is that good value?

james75, if it's your choice to go to La Plagne over New Year then maybe? personally I could get two trips over Christmas for that sort of money.....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
james75, you have chosen a very expensive week to go so therefore the concept of 'value' is hard to achieve.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
james75, having used Crystal's childcare over New Year week and staying in the hotel that hosts it in the past I'm guessing that just the childcare part is around £350-400 per child for the week? So taking that out of the equation just over £1k per person for a New Year trip (including lessons) isn't too bad.

If you can go a week earlier for Christmas you'll save quite a lot, or go at Easter you'd save even more. There are then also cheaper resorts/hotels/chalets that you could look at - there tends to be a slight premium on the hotel that is hosting the childcare as it's more convenient.

We save no end now that Jnr is beyond childcare age and can happily ski easily all day.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I know that it's one of the most expensive weeks of the year but being tied to school holidays its difficult to see how to do it cheaper whilst the kids are at this age. Having no grandparents to take with us we have no other way of having a good ski ourselves, knowing that the kids are being well looked after.

Easter Holidays are April 15th during the 2013/14 season, and I don't want to risk going that late.

The same holiday over Christmas week is only £300 cheaper (can't go that week anyway!).

The childcare comes to 450 per child, including their lessons, ski hire and all day care. I consider that to be reasonable as it allows us adults to ski all day knowing that the kids are being well looked after.

I llok forward to the time when the kids are old enough to not need childcare which hopefully will make holidays a lot cheaper.

On the plus side, I've got a week in Schladming with my eldest daughter, going by Coach, for £1100 total during our Easter Holidays this year.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
james75 wrote:
I know that it's one of the most expensive weeks of the year but being tied to school holidays its difficult to see how to do it cheaper whilst the kids are at this age.

james75, by "not", going to.... La Plagne!
latest report
james75, round our way 2014 Easter school holidays start on 5th April only a week later than this year - with Easter itself loaded at the end of the school holidays. We've been away a few times then and it's been fine (but that's no guarantee!). But as gatecrasher, says there are cheaper resorts than La Plagne (hefty savings can be made on just the lift passes).

Interested in who the Schladming trip is with as it's somewhere that appeals to me at Easter (as does the price!).
snow report
JohnHSmith, As coincidence would have it I'll soon find out what it' like to travel to the Alps by road from Cumbria. My mate is doing a weeks instructing in Italy and asked if I fancied tagging along so will be going a week on Saturday snowHead
snow report
sherry_d, we did similar to Kel, and tried Bulgaria and borrowed some gear for the first time until we were sure we'd like it. As it turned out that we did we went back to Bulgaria several times until we moved on and try new resorts every time now.

One of the most expensive week's I've had was a DIY week for 4 in a shoebox in Val Thorens, where we got stung for absolutely everything. Whereas one of the least expensive was a late March last minute bargain with Rocket Ski in La Deux Alpes with their own 2 for 1 ski hire when there was only about 6 guests sharing with a full hotel school party. We even did Ski-weekends by coach to keep costs down for extra ski time, but I recommend being able to ski before you try this as it's quite a tiring few days.

I'd be surprised if you can't get it for less than £1500 with Balkan, especially low season or last minute, as we did a New Year week in Pamporovo a few years back for about £500 each for everything, flts, Tx, 4 * HB, lift pass, ski hire and lessons. Having a look now they have 13 Jan for £279 plus £120 full learn to ski pack, so £399 each for two but they might be able to squeeze in another child bed if you speak to them. I saw a board outside Thomas Cook yesterday offering Soldeu* appartments for £186 with Gatwick flts based on 4 sharing, but with the additional supplement it would work out £248 each...

But avoiding mega resorts and going last minute should make it possible, and as mentioned above you could economise there by not skiing every day or using free lifts. But you might find this impossible to resist when you try it...

Try Decathelon, TK Maxx, Lidl or Aldi, for reasonably priced base layers, gloves and socks.

(*edit- oops Soldeu not Solden - slightly different places)
ski holidays
For a real tight budget i would look to Eastern Europe Jasna, Slovakia or Bansko Bulgaria. I have been to Jasna 4 times and it is good, they have invested heavily in the lift systems over the past few years which has opened up the mountain alot. Prices are still cheap in resort. It was unbelievably cheap before the Euro, 20p a pint! Shocked more like a euro now. Food is cheap, lift pass is reasonable but has increased over time with the investment they have made. Bansko i hav not been to myself but a few friends have, all of which preferred Jasna. Jasna/Liptovsky Mikulas (which is the town) also has indoor go karting, thermal spa.
latest report
Can be done! We've just sorted out flights + car hire + apartment + decent quality ski hire + all day lessons for our two daughters (Oxygene) + lift passes; for Belle Plagne, 6th April for £2100 for the fours of us, the lot. Doesn't include food of course but we reckoned we'd have to eat at home anyway so didn't include that. Skiing's never going to be cheap but you can work at it to make it cheaper. We managed the same last Easter in a Skiworld chalet in Val d'Isere by booking the day before we left-but this wasn't planned.
ski holidays
Grizwald, I drive to the alps from Newcastle every year, it's honestly not that bad but we do overnight in Reims Very Happy
ski holidays
We used to Ski whilst the kids were in the snowschool then when they finished (shock! Horror!) Ski as a family Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Massive difference between April 5th and New Year, and a big cost for us is the childcare which is close to £1000 for the 2 kids. We will ski as a family for a few hours each afternoon but the childcare gives you that bit of extra time to do the high stuff each day. Best of both worlds really. Obviously you pay for the convenience, and for me that's worth a fair bit.
latest report
Fair enough James. How old our the kids? I dare say go in term time - just like the school governors do with there kids wink Well they do here!
snow conditions
Many thanks, I have scanned your replies but will look into them a bit deeper and the places you recommend. I contacted Oakhall over the weekend and they have come back to me as I forgot to include which resort I was after, I am a Christian so their policies are fine.

I am also considering other places recommended earlier like Ski Amade and it looks like I can get reasonable flight from Gatwick and they have a free skii passes for kids after the 16th of March. The accomodiation still seem a little pricey so if I go for this option I will probably just get flight and hold tight and book accomodiation last minute. I am getting quite excited, it looks like we really can do this on budget. I will look into the other places suggested including Bulgaria

I have looked into driving as we are in Kent but huh the distances are all in excess of 8 hours driving plus fuel and tolls. That will be a bit much, flights are working out much cheaper including parking and driving to the airport.

By the way will indoor skiing be cost effective just so we don't need many lessons when we get there? One of the groups we belong to have lessons at Chatham skii slopes starting this Fridays and its £9 each for 45mins. That's £27 a pop for 45 mins for the three of us. I was thinking of doing 6 sessions till half term which will cost around £170. Is that a good deal or it better for us to just door lessons when we get there. I would have loved to just do one lesson just to get a feel and also know what to wear and how to but for this we need to commit the 6 weeks to get the discount.

Many thanks for your help again
snow conditions
sherry_d, I would always recommend lessons on the dry slopes (or indoor if you can do it). The more you do before the holiday, the better prepared you will be. Not only will you learn the rudiments of skiing, but you will find out where your fitness needs to improve.
ski holidays
Agree with Ray Zorro, do as much as you can beforehand, but I'd also recommend not skimping on lessons while out there too if you are able to. It's a very different thing trying to ski on the side of a mountain when there are lots of people around who know what they're doing.
ski holidays
Quote:

I have looked into driving as we are in Kent but huh the distances are all in excess of 8 hours driving plus fuel and tolls. That will be a bit much, flights are working out much cheaper including parking and driving to the airport.

For Feb half term the costs are in favour of driving unless you get the first mover advantage on flights. At other times it can be a bit more tricky but booking in advance really helps. Just bear in mind that conditions in Spring are terribly unpredictable so booking a long time in advance is a gamble.

Driving means you have a car when you arrive and if self catering that means cheaper food. (Just a thought....).

You have had lots of suggestions for places but I will add another. We have been to Termingnon with Peak Retreats (£470 for a 1 bed alcove apt). Termingnon is part of Val Cenis but out on a limb. Drive down (£450 as my car drinks fuel). Lift passes (£131 for adult, £105 for child, free for 4 year old). Lessons are a pain (£100 for 6xhalf a day per person) and might not be in English (!). Ski hire for £120. Total c.£1570. If car is more economical than mine (not hard) then it can be cheaper still.

There is a Super-U just up the road (as you have a car!) where you can buy all you need at the same prices you would pay at home.

Quote:

By the way will indoor skiing be cost effective

It can't hurt. If you learn the basics then the lessons in resort won't hurt but won't be necessary, especially if you can get somewhere with lots of nice blue slopes to play on. Oh, and it will be in as perfect English as you can get around here.

When you are a beginner you take a long time to go a short distance. You won't visit much of a large resort so indoor lessons can make sense.

Quote:

but you will find out where your fitness needs to improve

If I remember correctly from my beginner days this involved learning how to get up without exhausting myself following the frequent falls on shallow slopes. Oh, those were the days.

Go have fun. Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sherry_d, I agree that preparation on a dry slope before you go will pay dividends in terms of your enjoyment and progress. BUT probably not in terms of saving money. The most economical way of doing it is a week's group lessons - you won't save much, if anything, by not doing the whole week. And until you can ski a bit, time spent pottering around on your own might not be nearly so enjoyable. For your first holiday, I'd strongly recommend a week's ski school for you all, even if you have managed to get some dry slope lessons in beforehand.

Ski school is pretty cheap compared to other aspects of a ski holiday.
latest report
Snowtrex (yes, I know they're implausibly cheap looking) have deals for under £200 a head including ski pass. Won't be the biggest or most fashionable resort, but if you're beginners, you won't need it. Add in £50 of ski hire, then that's a total of £1,000. Driving will cost you £300-500, but it means the food won't cost you anything (as you'd have to eat if you were at home, anyway).

BEWARE: in future years your children will get very good, and they'll be pestering you to go to the bigger resorts; that will cost...
ski holidays
Sub £1500 well do-able but without lessons IMO
snow report
Beware going in the final week of the season after the schools have gone back - it can be very cheap then, but if you combine that with a small resort to make it even cheaper you could well find you have no snow.
snow conditions
I'm delighted to hear that Oak Hall are still in business. I learned to ski with them and travelled with them several times a couple of decades ago before I had enough cash to pay for a little more luxury.

In many ways their budget ethos actually adds to the holiday provided you're a bit adaptable. The coach travel, shared sleeping arrangements and evening services mean that they tend to attract a very outward-looking clientele who aren't remotely up themselves. There are few better places to meet a bunch of interesting people than an Oak Hall holiday and, given that skiing is at its best when it's a social affair, that's definitely a Good Thing.
ski holidays
sherry_d, my 2p's worth..
Quote:

If you are going catered and reckon you can do the flights cheaper then go for it. Not having any of your own gear helps. If you've got your own stuff, are self catering, driving is the way to do it, especially if you live in the South East. Kent is ideal. You can get lots of good advice on here about driving should and when you decide to take that route.

Quote:
By the way will indoor skiing be cost effective just so we don't need many lessons when we get there?

I did a series of dry slope lessons before I went the first time and largely I thought it was a waste of time. Whilst the actual cost of your deal at Chatham isn't bad, 45 minutes isn't very long. You are going to be able to ski for 7+ hours for £30-50 in the mountains. And the tuition will probably be better in the resort. If I was you I'd just do plenty of exercise to make sure I am in good shape.
snow conditions
Grizwald, Drove to 3V from NW Cumbria last year - let's just say took an aeroplane this year !

sherry_d, Our holiday this year for 2 Adults 1 child in Valmorel last week:

petrol /carpark £60
Flights Liverpool - Grenoble £210 (with luggage)
Transfers £260 (Bens bus + Local bus Moutiers - resort)
Self catering accom. £300 (Maeva)
Ski-Hire £120
Lift passes through accom. providers £380
Insurance £60
£400 spends

Worked out about £600 each but no ski school - (One of our friends who comes with us is a ski instructor which does help Very Happy )
ski holidays
Quote:

If I was you I'd just do plenty of exercise to make sure I am in good shape.

I think that's good advice. I've seen quite a few beginner friends come here and not get nearly as much out of lessons as they could, from lack of stamina in general, and peely-wally leg muscles in particular. They give up too readily and are too tired afterwards to practice what they've been doing in their lessons. Adults who are in poor share - women in particular - are more likely to injure themselves if (when) they fall.

But don't economise on lessons in resort. A week of ski school in a smaller resort out of peak season costs from £71 - a drop in the ocean compared to the rest of it. Less than a tank of petrol. Most people have a lot of fun in beginner lessons - generally very sociable affairs.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy