Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tranceiver reviews/advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm guessing this comes up a lot but searching came up with a lot of unrelated stuff. Maybe I was using the wrong terms, oh well. Basically I'm looking to get a transceiver and don't really know where to start. I had a look here http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/Specifications.asp but there are far more than i realised and the reviews are pretty brief with loads all getting the same rating which isn't massively helpful when trying to narrow things down.

It seems like the 3 antenna models are definitely most accurate but the implication is that they are harder to use. Obviously the best thing to do would be to get a 3 antenna and practice loads but really I'd just like something that's as retard proof as possible. Also some of the reviews on there are a little outdated. Does anyone know any other good places to look or have advice of their own? Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't give any real advice here other than to say I had the same dilemma last week. On the criteria that I wanted a three antenna device which was simple to use and a reasonable price I ended up going with the Ortovox Zoom. I used the reviews from the site you mention above as well.

Got it for 173 euros from blue-tomato.com .has yet to arrive but assuming it does then seemed like a pretty good deal.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From what i've heard the Tracker 2 seems to be one of the most user friendly transceivers available due to its simplicity although i can't pass judgment as i have never used that particular model.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SkiG, I've just received a tranceiver package from Blue Tomato, it took a while as I ordered it Christmas Eve but it got here a couple of days ago.

I went for the Ortovox Patroller Digital purely because it was such a bargain price tbh.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lots of info here
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93697
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
It seems like the 3 antenna models are definitely most accurate but the implication is that they are harder to use.

Your mistaken. That really is not the case. You possibly might have read this:
Quote:
The limitation of the four star transceivers is most of them do not handle spikes whereas the three star antennas typically require significantly more skill (i.e., practice).

on the conclusions page? three star antennas is a misprint and it should read three star beacons (ie those that he rates as 3 out of 5*). The site recommends purchasing a beacon that they rate 5*. You can filter to show the beacons which have been rated 5*. There are many on this page which I would be happy to use. My fiancée got me a tracker2 for Christmas and I am very pleased.

Andy06 wrote:
From what i've heard the Tracker 2 seems to be one of the most user friendly transceivers available due to its simplicity although i can't pass judgment as i have never used that particular model.

I handed mine to my mum and she worked it out in seconds and she had never seen an avalanche transceiver before. The only thing I would say is that the buckle(the one used to remove the transceiver) on the harness can be a little tough to unbuckle.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 5-01-13 17:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elston wrote:
Quote:
It seems like the 3 antenna models are definitely most accurate but the implication is that they are harder to use.

Your mistaken. That really is not the case. You possibly might have read this:
Quote:
The limitation of the four star transceivers is most of them do not handle spikes whereas the three star antennas typically require significantly more skill (i.e., practice).

on the conclusions page? three star antennas is a misprint and it should read three star beacons (ie those that he rates as 3 out of 5*).

Yeah that's where I was getting that from. I must admit i thought it was a bit weird and reading it back now it seems obvious but thanks for pointing it out.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Claude B,
Thanks for that, I head off on friday and after a quick phone all discovered that it was only going to ship on Monday, so decided to fork out a tenner for express delivery, wouldnt have bothered checking if it wasn't for hearing yours took a while so saved me having sad face on at the weekend (well... Probably not that sad given I'm off skiing, but you know what I mean!!)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh yeah, another thing that I forgot to ask, when I was last looking, the devices with larger screens with more than just a distance value on them were just being released. At the time there seemed to be some debate as to whether they were actually any good. Some said they made things significantly easier for search "newbs" while others said it wasn't anywhere near as good as manufacturers were claiming. Now that they've been around for a bit, do the screens like the one below really offer much, if any advantage or do they just over complicate things?

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
el nombre, don't know but, conversely, I tested a couple of transceivers last year which I couldn't actually read without putting my reading glasses on. Fail!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I own numerous beacons. Some old anologue Pieps, Tracker, Freeride, Pulse, S1, S1+ etc, and have used/owned most of the others

Easist to use by FAR are the S1 and S1+ ortovox's. My wife did multiple burial searches first time with no instruction at all. closed to transmit, open to search. done

The Tracker 2, 3+, Zoom, Element are the next easiest

All the other are pretty easy as long as you have read the manuals. The Pulse is a great unit but you do need to know how to use it, its definately not the most straightforward out of the box.

Also look at the harnesses, Pieps are very crude bags. barryvox/mammut nice. ortovox were very nice but latest ones are not so form fitting (gone to mesh from neoprene)

I currently carry an S1+, in the older S1 harness

With ALL the transcievers you will get the most from them by reading the manual and then PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Once you have done this it doesnt matter which one you have as they ALL work. Although some like the mammut/barryvox's and the S1(+) have noticably larger ranges

I would always suggest a 3 aerial model as this should then deal with spikes properly (unlike the old DSP), and take you in a straighter line to the victim

The current jocker in the pack is the Freeride. Although scorned by many, for the price (~£90) its a very small neat unit that works. Doesnt deal with spikes or allow supression and range low but hey you can buy 3 for the price of one that does

Best deals at moment are from www.snowsafe.co.uk

Dont forget you poles and shovel!, beacon no use at all unless you have the kit to probe and dig, and remember you need to practive the use of then as well

Then make sure you get onto the HAT website
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
madmole, good advice! Think Blue Tomato are probably a better price on most beacons than Snowsafe though, the delights of the single European market!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
trackers and freeride cheaper at blue, mammut about the same, ortovox cheaper at snowsafe. all depends on what exchange rate the cc company makes up on the day

The S1+ and 3+ are a great deal at snowsafe at moment £300 and £200 respectively, and they respond well to the phone, service is good (just a happy customer of thiers)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A bit of practical feedback - having been a happy user of a Tracker (2 aerial) for several years, was doing arva practice prior to a backcountry day in Whistler.
My and the SO had Trackers, everyone else had Tracker 2's.... and for the first time, we were beaten to the body.
The Tracker 2's appeared to be easier /more intuitive to use, and were able to guide inexperienced users to the close search zone faster than we managed with the Trackers. they also had a longer range.

The speed difference wasn't huge, but the range difference was probably 10 metres. (i.e. the T2's detected the buried Pieps 10m earlier than we did)

This still doesn't mean the T2 users were faster overall, as some of them had no clue how to do a 'close' search.... so practices (as madmole mentions) is still important.

good luck,
h.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I like the tracker 2, which is steadily taking over the cat/ heli business.

Earlier seasons' Ortovox digital transceivers were horrendously slow, making them hard to use and hugely frustrating. The Tracker 2 just works. It's good for inexperienced users too; you don't need to learn to slow down to work with it (!).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy