Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Contour+2 Helmet Mounting

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Before I get flamed for not searching the forums about mounting discussions, I have. I thought it might be better starting a new thread as it's for a different device Wink.

I wanted to find out what people's experiences are when mounting their Contours to their helmets. It comes with a mount and an adhesive strip in the box and a profile mount, but I've never been that trusting with adhesive like that... Is it safe? When I wipe out, it's usually quite the spectacular fail Smile. The profile mount seems to be the best option, as I've had cameras in the past, and used the strap, and it's just utterly useless! I guess when mounting on the side, I just need to ensure it doesn't get in the way of the goggle strap..!

Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

A.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alexcf, I use an old compact camera wrist strap and loop it on my helmet chin strap . . . but it's never fallen off anyway.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I generally use the goggle mount, which isn't that great tbh. Contour mounts are a rip off too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK, thanks guys.

Claude, agreed. Hence why I was asking the questions. I might go adhesive and take the straps with me, see how it fairs.

Alex.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alexcf, I've a new helmet this year I'm going to see if that helps with the goggle mount. I'm a bit loathe to stick mountings to it tbh. I've also a helmet mount that I had with an old analogue camera, it's basically a very big, very strong rubber band with a buckle for adjustment, etc.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've just bought one too, and was planning to use a mount on my goggle strap then I can use it when Ive not got my helmet on - I can't see how I can have it where I want it and not interfere with the goggle strap anyway. Plus the super-wide angle seems to give me a big wodge of helmet in the shot too - on the goggle strap it will at least go a wee bit further forward.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The adhesive helmet mount is fine. I've never had any problems, and haven't heard of others having problems either.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy from embsay, You can put some velcro where the back of the goggle mount and the helmet meet. that pretty much locks things in place. There's some new self cling film stuff being talked about but I've never seen any. There's also an extreme form of velcro that will hold anything anywhere you put it in you want to make a wedge mount further forward on your helmet. That's my plan, to move the cam to just above where my goggles rest when I rest them on my helmet . . . oh and get the circular polarizer filter kit, it makes a huge difference to the visual quality.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Contour adhesive mounts are pretty strong, and if you wipe out and smack the camera, the mount isn't going to make much difference. If you're worried about loosing it, my Contour GPS has a tether as a backup. Your model might have the same?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque wrote:
. oh and get the circular polarizer filter kit, it makes a huge difference to the visual quality.

There isn't one for the +2 yet - as I bought the old kit and it doesn't fit...

Is the velcro to stop the camera wobbling around on your goggle strap?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I use a contour mount and never had a problem with it. I do use the lanyard loop clipped back to the rear goggle clips as back up though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh! Neat idea. I'll defo get it tethered. Thanks Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The 3M based adhesive mounts are pretty reliable but in extreme cases can fail, so I would always suggest a tether. As for the side mounting, this is one of the downsides of the contour/drift form factor. You can put a goggle strap mount but you end up getting half of the helmet in the view. Still it beats looking like a teletubbie with a gopro hey!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I love the side mounting, keeps a nice low profile for tree skiing. I reckon I'd have lost a GoPro to low branches by now Laughing

And always tether to the rear of the helmet, saves it whacking you in the face during a big tumble.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ansta1 wrote:
The 3M based adhesive mounts are pretty reliable but in extreme cases can fail, so I would always suggest a tether. As for the side mounting, this is one of the downsides of the contour/drift form factor. You can put a goggle strap mount but you end up getting half of the helmet in the view. Still it beats looking like a teletubbie with a gopro hey!

You can put a contour on top of your bonce - the lens swivels by 180 degrees (for those frequent occasions when you want to film upsiide down).
snow report
The goggle mount is pretty good if it fits well with your helmet. If the helmet has funny angles on the sides then you need to try something else Happy

My contour roam is used for skiing with the goggle mount, on the motorcycle with a fixed mount on the bike or an adhesive mount on the helmet, and with the elastic strap if my kids want it for anything else. It's great.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy