Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva - Do all lifts meet at the village? Wurst or Carbonara?

Poster: A snowHead
Two questions:

Possibly planning a trip for three families to Selva in mid-March. We'll be skiing in 3-4 separate groups in the morning (ski-schools etc.) and then meeting up at lunchtime to ski together for the rest of the day. I'm a bit concerned that all the lifts don't appear to join up when they re-enter the village and we would spend our life on buses trying to meet up with the children, then busing to another lift etc. Is there a single point where everything comes together (a bit like Chaudanne in Meribel?) Any thoughts much appreciated.

I know that Selva used to be part of Austria. We're planning a trip to Italy, because we want to ski in......Italy. I'm a bit worried that Selva might be Austrian in all but name. How Austrian/German does it feel? Will we be eating wurst and cabbage, or piccata al limone?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
foxtrotzulu, Selva is part of an absolutely massive lift-linked ski area - so there is scope for getting separated, though a number of runs/lifts do more or less converge in the centre of the village. It's pretty mixed as regards Italian/German speaking. Most restaurants lean towards Italian cuisine, but some mountain huts have a decidedly Austrian flavour. Anyway, the whole area is fan-so-and-so-tastic and, best of all, I'm going there on Monday. snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The 'Crystal Bridge' is a popular meeting point in Selva - The Dantercepies piste finishes about 100 metres from it (outside the Hotel Korona) ; Skiers coming from the other direction (plan de grabla/Ciampinoi) can ski to within a few metres of the bridge.

As for the area - I find it 50/50. One mountain restuarant will be totally Austrian, another 200 metres away will be totally Italian. The area has been described as "Germanic efficiency combined with Italian food" Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
foxtrotzulu, the main lifts don't meet in the centre of the village, Datercepies is a way up the hill, either a chair or a few drags from the centre and other main gondola. But don't let that put you off it's a great area.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Encouraging replies, but I'm still concerned about a couple of things....

1. We really don't want to spend ANY time at all on buses or taxis. Is this a problem?
2. Some reviews say that the red runs back into Selva are suitable for the more competent intermediates and not ideal for the more timid/less experienced who may find them steep/crowded. As we have two children with us who will be on only their third skiing holiday I am concerned that ,certainly at the start of the week, we will have to flog up to Plan de Gralba by bus.

Any thoughts? Any suggestions for other ITALIAN resorts that are more family friendly (and don't have a main road through the middle of the village?).

Thanks
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
foxtrotzulu, there is absolutely no need to get on any bus or taxi.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
foxtrotzulu.
There is a brilliant resource called '3d reality maps' which enables you to check out the region (google maps with snow - Smile )

Try it here - http://www.realitymaps.de/index.php?id=771&L=1

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 5-01-13 18:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
albob, I can endorse that!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
foxtrotzulu, Selva is actually mostly Ladin - about 90% of the locals speak this as their first language. http://www.valgardena-groeden.com/en/highlights/tradition-and-culture/the-ladin-language.html To me it doesn't feel obviously Italian or Austrian, more like its own country - which is what a lot of the people in the South Tirol seem to want. It's a lovely place - magnificent scenery,great extensive skiing , and relatively cheap. The run down from Plan de Gralba to the village is an easy red.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
foxtrotzulu wrote:

Any thoughts? Any suggestions for other ITALIAN resorts that are more family friendly (and don't have a main road through the middle of the village?).

Thanks

I'd suggest La Villa, purpose built resort with nursery lifts in the village, very quiet. Has direct access to the Pralongia plateau which is ideal for the kids and the more timid in your group.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Or San Cassiano
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
foxtrotzulu wrote:

Thanks

I'd stick with Meribel. Selva is laced with 'busy' roads (doesn't the Chaudanne have a looped go kart track/bus stop/drop off point/chaos street running through it Puzzled ) , it's not at all family friendly as Italians clearly don't do 'family', skiing back into Selva last thing is treacherous, not at all like the ice shutes of Chaudanne, Confused and the food on the mountain bares no comparison to that of Meribel/Courchevel. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
foxtrotzulu, You should look at Colfosco which is on the Sella Ronda with i think the best begineers slopes and also good red slopes and the widest black slope in the alps and all runs coming down to one point.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last time I checked, Meribel wasn't ITALIAN Wink

Road thru Selva is hardly an issue. Bridge over the road from 1 direction, and traffic light crossing in the other, with turnstile gates at the "skiers" crossing. Funny watching the n00bs try to activate them with their ski passes totally confused as to why they don't open Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andy,

It's those bl00dy turnstiles which are 'noob'. I've only been visiting Selva for 13yrs and they made a t1t out of me!. rolling eyes Very Happy
snow report
I think the red run back to Selva that is tricky for inexperienced skiers is the one from the top of Ciampinoi, there is no reason to return that way, the run from Plan de Gralba is a doddle. There is no reason to use buses, if one group is at bottom of Dantercepies the other lot can cross the bridge chair up and drop down onto Dantercepies. Alternatively, the Danter lot can ski through village to close to bottom of Ciampinoi, simples.
ski holidays
Ghost Dog,

The prob being, you cant get to Plan without taking the Ciampinoi gondola unless you catch the bus directly to Plan or go around the whole of the Sella Ronda. Confused

I actually agree, Ciampinoi can be a bit of a biatch when it's chopped up or scraped off. Going around the back of the Ciampinoi lift station rather than the front, can give an alternative, and sometimes less testing, route down to Plan. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
"...The prob being, you cant get to Plan without taking the Ciampinoi gondola unless you catch the bus directly to Plan or go around the whole of the Sella Ronda...."

there is the Ciampinoi two man chair on the Plan edge of the village which gives an easier access to Plan de Gralba (via the 'back' of ciampinoi) - but it's not much use if you are at the other end of the village !!
snow report
albob, Whoa! Yeah, that old banger. I think that I've used it once ever. wink Kinda doesn't save much over going around the back of the gondola station. Happy
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:
albob, Whoa! Yeah, that old banger. I think that I've used it once ever. wink Kinda doesn't save much over going around the back of the gondola station. Happy

Smile - yeah, i should have put 'rickety' in my post. I used it a fair bit when i stayed at the Alpino Plan, it being the nearest lift (and saved going into town and quequing ...!)
ski holidays
We found that skiing down to Plan de Gralba via the narrowish run at the side of the Ciampinoi - under the cabin lift - was absolutely fine in the mornings - a moderate red. The direct route down the steep but wide red was more difficult - icy in parts. I agree with the earlier post about Colfosco being a good place for the O P.
snow report
Just to add:

1. FOr the beginner slopes in Selva you have several ways to get to them. a) Walk up via fairly steep roads from the main part of the village. NOt ideal in ski boots. b) there is a bus from the main part of the village which will take you up to the bottom nursery slope. c) go up the two man chair near to the bridge past the CIampinoi gondola and then ski down to the bottom of the Dantercepies slope. You will then also be at the top half of the nursey slopes. d) if you join the ski school across the road from the CIampinoi gondola they will bus you up to the nursery slopes in the morning. To get back to the village afterwards you can either get the ski bus back from where it dropped you off earlier or ski down the end of the Dantercepies slope down a narrow track and this will bring you out near to the Ciampinoi gondola

2. For PLan de Grabla you can as mentioned above ski down from CIampinoi or catch the bus. In the past the bus only went as far as Plan but now it goes all the way to PLan de grabla. However this is a very infreqeuent service and only goes two or three times a day
snow report
It is a long time since I skied in Selva but I recall the Austrian influence being very strong. I am sure the road sign as we entered the village also said Wolkenstein? which I assume was the Austrian name for the village.

I felt that out of the various Sella Ronda villages, Selva had the best mix of both Italian and Austrian culture, so when it comes to food you will have plenty of wonderful options.
latest report
TBH, if you're a beginner, Ciampinoi side is probably best avoided. Stick with Dantercepie side and surrounding areas. The usual progression would be, start on on the nursery slopes, above those are Rosacia, which are great for beginner progression, then go for Dantercepie's left/left when appropriate. Dantercepies right/right is a tad more challenging. Or there's left/right (left as far as the Panorama Hutte, then fork right just after the hutte).

Drop out the back Dantercepies lift station and you'll have gentle blues down towards Colfosco and could take in the Eidleweiss Valley. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Many thanks everyone. All very helpful. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy