Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Niederau - What's it like?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Niederau tomorrow for a week with my beginner mate - had him at the Glasgow indoor slope yesterday and he can link his snowplow. I'll have him wiggling a nice carve by the middle of the week. wink

What's it like? Looking at the Ski Jewel piste map, am I correct in saying that to ski the majority of the area we'll need to hop on the bus round to Auffach?

What's the town like?

Decent apres? I've never been to Austria before - only La Tania and Morzine.

How much should I be spending on a pint?

Any advice/ ridicule is much appreciated.

snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bit late to be asking if you're going tomorrow isn't it? Laughing

Typical charming Austrian town, skiing isn't that extensive or challenging but sounds like it will suit you and your mate fine. Enjoy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grizwald wrote:
Bit late to be asking if you're going tomorrow isn't it? Laughing

Typical charming Austrian town, skiing isn't that extensive or challenging but sounds like it will suit you and your mate fine. Enjoy.

The deal was cheap. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You'll have a great time, you also have Oberau which is tiny. Unless your the kind of person who needs to constantly do different pistes just for the sake of it you'll be disappointed-you don't mention your own level but if conditions are good there is some off piste. Seems to be a firm family favourite and with beginners, night life low key for Austria but there are a few nice bars, I remember watching a programme a while back with a family looking for a ski business and a après bar at the bottom of Niederau's slopes featured.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sean1967, Ask Carolyn for proper up to date info as she lives and teaches there! A lot of people look down on the Wildschonau area, but I live not too far away and quite often ski there as it is a really pleasant place to ski with interesting slopes at both Niederau and Auffach. The slopes at Oberau are short but a couple of steep sections to practise particular moves on make for quiet fun. I've not skied there yet this season but will be doing so soon as I want to investigate the new links over to Alpbach, another area underrated by many Brits fixated on high kilometre levels and bad style! wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've booked today for a week in Niederau from 26th January Smile

Staying at the Harfenwirt - anybody got any views on it (though it's too late to change now).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alex_heney, try having a look at the 'Austria: Weather in Niederau' thread. Some comments on the Harfenwirt on that. Page 17
I've had a couple of weeks in Niederau. Liked it. A lot.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alex_heney, our friends stayed in it last January whilst we stayed at another hotel. Nice hotel, great rooms and facilities. Host is a bit of a character.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alex_heney, Stayed there a few years ago, it was ok opposite a t bar lift to take you up to a nice little run to gondola in centre. He loves to play the Harp pretty good though. Food was ok too all together a lovely place to stay.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex_heney wrote:

Staying at the Harfenwirt - anybody got any views on it (though it's too late to change now).

yes weather thread has a few lines.

We liked it enough in the superior rooms (2 adults plus a little un) to go a second time.

The superior rooms are some of the most spacious I have ever stayed in while on a skiing holiday. They are confortable and still fairly new. Cannot comment on the standard rooms - though I know some when we were there weren't happy with them.

The pool is very good and has the usual austrian steam room and sauna (the no swium wear rule in the sauna is always a challenge for the Brits!)

This year a children's option has been added to the half-board menu options and was very good (probably the best 2 meals of the week were given to our daughter). Otherwise was a little disappointed with the food this time, think it was not as good as last time. It is however, plentiful. A couple fo niggles however were that no bread was forthcoming at dinner except on one night and no table water is allowed. Paying for the drinks each night is also a "quirk" of the place.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Carolyn best to reply on town, but I think its quite sweet with some reasonable places for lunch - c 7 euros on mountain for lunch and 3 euros for a beer in town.

Actually think Niederau's red slopes are quite difficult for beginners to progress from the blues with a nasty stretch on each. Although not that extensive each of the reds (and add the black) have numerous lines down the mountain so variety can be added and although used to larger areas prviously I have not gottn bored repeating the runs. The Auffach/Alpbach areas are good to ski for the reds too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TallGuyUK wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

yes weather thread has a few lines.

We liked it enough in the superior rooms (2 adults plus a little un) to go a second time.

The superior rooms are some of the most spacious I have ever stayed in while on a skiing holiday. They are confortable and still fairly new. Cannot comment on the standard rooms - though I know some when we were there weren't happy with them.

The pool is very good and has the usual austrian steam room and sauna (the no swium wear rule in the sauna is always a challenge for the Brits!)

This year a children's option has been added to the half-board menu options and was very good (probably the best 2 meals of the week were given to our daughter). Otherwise was a little disappointed with the food this time, think it was not as good as last time. It is however, plentiful. A couple fo niggles however were that no bread was forthcoming at dinner except on one night and no table water is allowed. Paying for the drinks each night is also a "quirk" of the place.

Thanks for that.

I had actually been to Neiderau before, in 2007 - but with no snow for most of the week - I have a photo in the media zone of what the main "piste" looked like on the Sunday morning from my hotel balcony. That time I stayed in the Schneeberger.

Hopefully, there will be rather more snow this time, and I can spend more than just the last day skiing the Wildschoenau (we were bussed to Kaltenbach in the Zillertal for the rest of the week last time).

The nudity in the sauna & steam room is no "challenge" for me - I find it more of one to have to wear costumes here Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy