Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glaziers in Val D'Isere and Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The Glaziers in Val D'Isere and Tignes are within the ski boundries. If you go off the marked trails do you have to worry about crevices and other off piste risks?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chraya,

The Glaziers are expensive, last time i broke a window in Tignes it cost a fortune Very Happy

However The Glacier in Tignes is in the ski area, however if going off piste go on a guided tour for safety, unless you are an off piste expert with all the gear
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chraya, The glacier in Val D'I is now very small & very benign - if you are skiing directly off the lifts and don't hike there is not really anything there to worry about - if you start hiking from the top T-Bar there is a bergshrund of some consequence which does get covered in winter but would not be pleasant to fall in to. (I know this from having skinned up here in September when the glacier was at it least snowy...)

The Tignes glacier is a different beast. Definitely holes on that & worth being a bit wary of.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
chraya, If you stick between the piste poles then there is very little risk - although crevasses can and do appear on the pistes and are quickly marked. Glaciers are living things. If you want to see what you might be skiing over check the webcams in early Nov and then Mid Dec - it can be quite sobering, which is why most of us leave it till after Christmas to allow the snowbridges to build outside of the piste poles.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When skiing the Cascade lift at Val D'Isere, if you ski to the left of the chair (left as you go down) how far left can you go and still be in the safe area? The area to the left gets heavily skied but I always get confused as to what is considered the trail and what isn't.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
chraya, There are no pistes to the left of the chair as you go down (excepting the very bottom). The pistes are well marked with poles at each side. outside of those you are technically off piste. If you stay close to the chair pylons it is generally safe - the biggest hazard being rocks and the odd steep section - just don't ski over anything you can't see over...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chraya, You sound as if you're getting the systems used in North American ski resorts and European ski resorts mixed up. In Europe, with a few exceptions, there are no designated 'safe areas' outside of the pistes or marked trails
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
offpisteskiing wrote:

The Tignes glacier is a different beast. Definitely holes on that & worth being a bit wary of.

There is a video on YouTube I think of someone falling into a crevasse on piste on the Grande Motte glacier this summer, yikes! Shocked

As for just off the piste, it is riddle with crevasses and very dangerous, as you said.

As for Glaziers, what about Everest?

http://youtube.com/v/MBPWJfq4dDA

You only fit it once, so fit the best, Everest.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy