Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES TERRASSES DEOS FLAINE MONTSOLEIL

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys

It seems like there appears to be quite a few of you who have stayed at the self catering apartments of LES TERRASSES D EOS FLAINE MONTSOLEIL.

I wanted to see what you recommend we take with us. E.g Kettle, cleaning products, linen.

Your comments will be much appreciated.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
5h1l, we stayed there last Christmas and they really were fabulous apartments. Not your usual French shoe box type of place at all. They give you a welcome pack with washing up liquid, dishwasher tablets, tea towels and even dressing gowns to go to the pool area. You can order bread and pastries from reception before 6.00pm and pick them up from reception in the morning.

Don't forget your swimming cossies (none of your Austrian au naturel) but other than that you shouldn't need anything else.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the heads up Tiger.

Do they provide bath towels or should we take our own?

How about a Kettle?

Thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Towels were provided and changed and additional towels provided in the pool area. And a kettle too. They really are top class apartments. They have a real oven as well (although the controls took some working out Embarassed )
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does anyone what cigerette prices are like there? are they cheaper the UK? £7 a pack?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just back from another fantastic week at Montsoleil with a tip, albeit a bit of a random one. One of very few things that irk me about these lovely apartments is that it's seemingly impossible to change the input on the TV to HDMI etc. We tend to stick a few films and some music on my phone and connect it to the TV to pass an hour or two whilst enjoying an occasional beer (medicinal purposes, of course). Uncle Google provided a solution. If you enter 319753 and mute on the remote control, you go straight to the hidden setup menu. From there you can change the menu language and then easily and quickly navigate through to 'add program', directly enter the channel number that you want to override, and then hit the right arrow a few times to cycle through the inputs til you get to the one you want. Scroll down to store, then hit Menu to save and exit. Now you too will be able to view your favourite faceplants on the big screen.

Other than the fact that Fred was (sensibly) out of bounds and that the Scowling Club of Great Britain still think that they have exclusive rights to certain tables in the Perdrix Noir, we had an absolutely wonderful time.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Scowling Club of Great Britain

I shouldn't but, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
5h1l, I am an owner in the block and have therefore stayed there on many occasions. If you are driving out there it is well worth while stopping off in Carrefour in Cluses before driving up the mountain. Carrefour offers a much wider selection of everything and is cheaper than the Spar in Flaine Foret. Instead of leaving the A40 at J19, come off at J18, follow the signs for the centre of town and you should be able to find it.

In the evenings a free minibus service operates for guests, saving you the walk into Foret or the other parts of Flaine. Make sure you have the telephone number and you can call for a lift back.

The apartments are very well equipped, as Tiger2, said above and you should find everything you need waiting for you. The wifi is not very good (drops out at peak times at regular intervals) so try and use it at less busy times, eg at lunchtime if you go back to the apartment or late in the evening.

I hope you have a great time.
snow conditions
 cran
cran
5h1l, about 5 or 6€ I think
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
twodogs wrote:
Just back from another fantastic week at Montsoleil with a tip, albeit a bit of a random one. One of very few things that irk me about these lovely apartments is that it's seemingly impossible to change the input on the TV to HDMI etc. We tend to stick a few films and some music on my phone and connect it to the TV to pass an hour or two whilst enjoying an occasional beer (medicinal purposes, of course). Uncle Google provided a solution. If you enter 319753 and mute on the remote control, you go straight to the hidden setup menu. From there you can change the menu language and then easily and quickly navigate through to 'add program', directly enter the channel number that you want to override, and then hit the right arrow a few times to cycle through the inputs til you get to the one you want. Scroll down to store, then hit Menu to save and exit. Now you too will be able to view your favourite faceplants on the big screen.

Other than the fact that Fred was (sensibly) out of bounds and that the Scowling Club of Great Britain still think that they have exclusive rights to certain tables in the Perdrix Noir, we had an absolutely wonderful time.

I always take a cheap universal remote control with me when i travel. Some apartments lock out the tv panel buttons and charge stupid money for the remote to enable viewing.
A universal remote gives free access!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Corduroy, that's a very good call indeed: I stayed at a P&V in Isola 2000 a few years ago which did exactly that and I certainly didn't fancy coughing up a tenner to access 3 fuzzy French TV channels on their crappy 14" portable: there's only so much 'Des Chiffres Et Des Lettres' a man can take over that medicinal beer.

We have a Sony tablet which, as well as being flakier than the Singing Detective's scalp, has a nice remote control emulator. I cycled through all of the Philips modes and most worked, although nothing would allow me to change the AV input, and HDMI didn't override the TV when connected.

The hack definitely worked, but it would be better if the property just added an additional channel to the wrapper to accommodate the extra AUX input: do people still use Scart? Still, given that they charge heartily for 'on demand' movies, I can't see that happening in the short-term.

On a side note, I was moderately surprised to see Skyfall as an on demand movie option, although not as surprised as I was to see how clean the DB5 was having been driven from London to Scotland...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Twodogs - thanks for the heads up, will give it a go, will defiantly be packing the hdmi cable along with a few films.

Chris Mason - Thanks for the info Chris. However we have opted to take a shared go massif cab. So i would need to convince the other passengers for a short stop off. I had a hunch about the wifi. Its like that in other resorts when usage surges at particular times. What time does the free shuttle service shut? Should we need to worry about making the last shuttle ride back to the appartments?

Cran - Thanks- i wont be taking any out there.

Does anyone have any favourite places to eat or places to avoid. We really want to try the raclette and the melting cheese.

Not long till the trip now. 11 days and counting!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
5h1l, I have a couple of places to eat that I can recommend, Bisac is a self serve restaurant at Foret level just above the Grand Vans lift, its excellent for lunch, really good tartifilette which is on every day, they also do a daily special. It also opens one evening in the week with a Savoyard meal, have never tried it as we were always on half board option but would have done based on the lunch food quality. They also do nice pastry's Mrtylle (Blueberry being my favourite). Can also recommend the hut at the top of the lifts out of Morrillon and the one to the right of the lifts at Morrillon 1100. Hope you get to try them, were not going to Flaine this year and have just asked the same questions for La Plagne Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the info Jeoff.

This maybe a silly question but staying at Les Terraces D'eos, are we restricted to eating dinner in Flaine only or can we go to the other ski resorts of Le Grand massif?

Does the shuttle service cover this?

I have seen a place online called Grill du Gron which i would love to try.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
5h1l, Not sure, there is a ski bus to Le Carroz which is covered by the ski pass, I am not sure what time it stops though. Have a look at the Flaine website http://www.flaine.com/en/winter/index.htm it should have more info on it. If you do go there is a great deli just off the main square where you can buy home made ready meals that look great, as well as the usual deli stuff, and there is a fantastic bakery on the road from the square to the gondola in LC. I have also stayed and eaten in Les Airelles in Le Carroz which I would recomend ( was 8 years ago though, but is still with the same owner Christine). The other resorts are a very long drive down the valley and round so probably not realistic or worthwhile. Geoff
snow conditions
5h1l, Gron restaurant is next to the bridge over the gron stream in les carroz, not far from les arielles, just after the other bakery, which is a bit more rustic than the one geoffknight, mentions, (and open all year) same side of road just further up.

Pretty sure there is not a bus down here in the evening, but you could taxi it.
ski holidays
5h1l, from personal experience, in the evening I could recommend L'Ancolie in Flaine Hameau and Brasserie Les Cimes and Chez Pierrot down in Flaine Forum.

Both Hameau and Forum, along with Foret, are serviced by the Terrasses' complimentary shuttles. You just need to wander down to the front door and grab one. If they aren't there, they'll soon be back. Or you can call (reception will give you their numbers at check-in, and we've yet to find a restaurant that can't or won't ring to request them on your behalf).

Les Cimes has become our reliable 'go-to' for mid-market grub, the service is usually spot on and there are plenty of standard options on the menu (pizzas are great, as are the 'hot rock' cook your own meats). The head honcho is a complete grafter, I've never seen him *not* working and he keeps his eye on everything and everyone to make sure things are running smoothly, taking the time to have a friendly word with each of the tables. He's a good source of advice re slopes and weather, too. They also offer a range of food for delivery to your apartment. You'll find it on the ground floor (external) level in Forum, near to Sherpa.

Chez Pierrot is pretty much directly above Les Cimes, and is pretty cosy with, again, friendly staff and good service. It's a moderately priced, family-friendly option for pizza and a range of Savoyarde standards.

L'Ancolie is more of a special occasion place. The setting, service and food are fab and, although there's a slight premium to pay, it's probably worth it. Be wary of the bottled water though, it's something like €8/€9 a pop. Best off putting that towards another bottle of wine...

In most cases, it's worth booking in advance on Friday evenings.

Out on the slopes, we've enjoyed L'Epicea (where the green Epicea meets the red Faust and, out and about, lunch at Milk Hotel in Les Carroz (at the foot of the red Timalets), hot choc with Cointreau at the last hut on Plein Soleil where it meets Timalets (I think that the only way down from here is by taking Timalets, which is very wide and straight and not at all difficult) and, last but absolutely not least, at L'Igloo right at the top of the Bergin chairlift in Morillon.

In case you haven't yet figured the ski-in/ski-out thing... in the morning, exit the rear of the complex and take the little Opale (?) piste to ski down a couple of hundred metres to the Gerats chairlift. At the top, turn right onto Aigue Marine and ski down to the Grand Vans lift in Foret. From here, you can either continue down to the core of the resort or get up and over to the other villages via the Dolomie blue and the L'Airon chair. Alternatively, you can stay on Dolomie and take the (usually deserted) Portet blue through the trees down to the Les Molliets chair above Les Carroz, which can require a bit of poling in places but it's an easy way of stretching your legs and clearing your head away from the bunfight at Tete Des Saix. To ski back to the apartments, you'll need to take Tourmaline all the way to the green Malachite, which is very short and takes you back to the Gerats lift. At the top, turn left onto Aigue Marine and you'll see the apartments right in front of you at the first tight left hand corner. I haven't found a way to ski back from the main Flaine bowl other than to walk up from Foret, get the free ski bus from Forum or Foret or, best of all, kick back in a bar and get collected by the courtesy bus after the main ski bus finishes.

One other thing: again from experience, we've found that the pool/hot tub etc are much quieter from around 8pm onwards (unsurprisingly).

Re-reading my contribution to this thread, it could be inferred that I'm better at eating, drinking and tuning tellies than I am at skiing. Sounds about right. :0)

I'm sure that others with wider GM experience can add to this list.
snow report
5h1l, I will second twodogs, re Chez Pierrot for Pizzas, nice and cosy, did eat in Les Cimes once, it was busy - probably as it was the night off for our hotel, most residents seemed to be in there.
snow report
Favorites for me in Flaine are Le Pre in Forum for best value, L'Epicea on the slopes for good quality but does cost more and Sucre Sale in Foret for evening time.
Les Cimes can be good but struggles when busy.
LaGrange is recommended by our local friends who are based in Flaine all year.
The pizza take away in the Foret shopping centre is good if you're self catering and you can get back to Montsoliel without them getting cold.
Elsewhere L' Beu in Morillon has to be the best of all the options

The scowling club of GB were in place again last weekend - one of the many reasons not to go anywhere near the La Perdrix Noire which has to be the worst bar/restaurant in the whole of the GM
snow report
geoffknight, of course, Wednesdays tend to be the chalets' night off. Aha, that explains why some of the restaurants were as busy on Wednesdays as they were on Fridays. Obvious when I think about it...!

janner, after Scowlgate on our first night, we gave the Perdrix Noire a wide berth until our final night, when we thought we'd avail ourselves of their fizz happy hour for my birthday. Either the time of said happy hour has changed, or we're getting forgetful, but either way, we missed it by ten minutes. We were told where to go in no uncertain terms, but still ordered, paid full whack and took a seat by the (unlit) fire. We were soon joined by a party of three chaps who had been told to move from the Scowlers' table even though, as usual, they were practising their scowls at the bar. This was their first visit to the GM and, like us, they were completely unimpressed. In comparison, we had a great giggle there most nights last year. On my birthday night last time, and having spent about €50 on beer whilst waiting to save a tenner during champagne happy hour, we asked one of the lads what time happy hour started. His reply was "for you, happy hour is whatever time you choose", followed by bringing us a free round of beers and génépis. Quite a contrast. I have every sympathy for anybody that sets up shop in the mountains. It's hard graft and your success is so dependant upon external factors. We're even happy to pay mountain grocery prices. But to allow the Scowlers free-reign and to be so miserable towards your paying customers... it isn't going to end well for this current bunch, is it?

In contrast... we usually stick with a certain outfit for transfers. I think they only do private transfers and, in reality, it only costs a bit more than a shared priority one and it's a lot more relaxed and always bang on time. Sadly, one of our party had to cancel at 10pm the night before we flew out. I texted the company to inform them that there were now only two of us, and that we no longer needed to wait at GNV for 3 hours for our pal. He replied immediately telling us not to worry, that even though all of the bookings were planned for the next day, he'd see if he could pull us forwards. On arrival, there was a sign with our name and the driver explained that they'd arranged for us to jump in with a family who were heading to Les Carroz (we were staying in Flaine). Better still, they knocked €50 off each of our bills, which they really didn't need to do. Superb drivers too: on the way back down the valley, an idiot in an oncoming UK registered X5 pulled out to overtake a huge line of cars. Our boy pre-empted this and slowed right down to a stop and pulled off to the side of the road, avoiding a head-on crash. Good effort.
snow report
Has anyone tried the food pack service that is offered for Montsoleil. We were wondering if it was worthwhile getting their starter pack so we don't need go shopping with the kids on the first day. Are the deliveries reliable etc. Going out on the 09th Feb...getting excited already !!! Very Happy
snow report
We have used http://www.food-pack-service.eu/ for the last 2 years when we stayed at Residence de la Foret. You can order your food for the week in advance and they give you a ring when they are ready to deliver it. All you have to worry about then is getting your bread and booze each day. We found the supermarket at Forum level, opposite the Totem, to be better value than Spar at Foret level. Get your Pepsi from here as well.

No complaints from us about the quality of the food or the prices, in fact we are using them again this Easter for our trip to La Tania.

Have a great trip.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
Quote:

Scowling Club of Great Britain

I shouldn't but, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sounds like the Perdrix Noir hasn't changed one bit Laughing We ate there the first time we went to Flaine, drank there once while we waited for pizzas next door and the third time we felt we had to go to the awards ceremony following a race they had sponsored that our two had competed in. Horrendous hoorays, steep prices and zilch atmosphere.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks bryan6, I think we'll give it a go. Hope you have a good time in La Tania.
ski holidays
We broke with convention this year and actually decided which days to eat in/out ahead of the trip, and even packed the bare necessities for a chilli and a few other simple, spicy things that we whipped up over beers on night one. Also meant that we knew what we needed to buy at Sherpa, rather than just buying shedloadsof stuff that usually goes to waste. Couldn't find sour cream anywhere mind you...
latest report
Hi there, could anyone tell me if it is still possible to ski in ski out at Les Terrasses D'eos even at the end of the ski season? Many thanks.
ski holidays
La Pedrix Noir, probably my most expensive meal in any ski resort. Me, wife and 2 younger kids (on kids menus). Nothing special, over 200 euros.
This was 2009 when it was almost one for one exchange rate.
Average food, great service from the waitresses but the owners were looking like they were doing us a favour.
snow report
valentine, The season comes to a complete finish on 27 April. However, for the last week only the Flaine bowl is open, the rest of the GM closes (Carroz, Samoens and Morillion). This won't worry you because Terrasses d'Eos also closes the weekend before. Up until that time the ski in ski out facility will be open, subject to there being sufficient snow cover. I was there the last weekend of the 2012/13 season (I am an owner so I can stay there even when it is closed!) and the free bus service was still running during the day. Not as convenient as skiing in and out but better than walking.

ianbradders, I've been told that it changed hands last summer. However, the prices are still high.

There is now a restaurant in Terrasses d'Eos itself, opened just before Christmas 2013. The restaurant is to the right as you enter the reception area and is run independently of the development itself. The couple that are running it used to run another restaurant in Flaine (Refuge du Golf?) and are trying hard to make a go of it. I had a good meal there in early January and would certainly return. There is also a bar in the same area.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks very much for the info, hoping to get a few days skiing before end of season and Les Terrasses looks great! Just hoping to be able to use the ski in/out to waste as little time as possible as it will only be a short trip.
latest report
CM, I thought it was mainly lacking a central area like a bar. One night we had a poker evening in that area you describe.
ski holidays
Thinking about booking for Feb 2015 at Les Terrasses d'Eos, Flaine.....comments above make good reading and haven't put me off....which is good.

Couple of questions you guys may be able to help with....What are the supermarkets like close by and how close are they? Looking to buy things like fresh chicken, apples, bananas, cornflakes, pizza, wine etc......

Never been to France before so hoping this will be a good first experience!
ski holidays
scorpio21, I don't know those particular supermarkets - somebody probably will. The only possible item on your lift which could be difficult is cornflakes, but give the number of Brits in Flaine you'll probably be in luck!

Is that half term you're going?
snow report
Those items will be expensive though - if you're driving, maybe stock up in the valley? And take small but expensive items like spices with you. Not forgetting tea bags.....

and be aware that fresh milk is not always considered an essential item in France - grab it when you see it.
snow conditions
Thanks Pam w.... That is helpful.... No not going during half term (at least I hope not!) perhaps I should google half term dates, but I think they are usually made Feb and I am planning first week of Feb.
ski holidays
scorpio21, first week of Feb is ideal - all the other weeks in Feb will be school hols either French, or English, or both. snowHead
snow conditions
We have tended to stop in Cluses on the way from Geneva for a big shop and then use the supermarkets for bits and pieces, so in that respect not too expensive.
The supermarkets are probably a ten minute march back up to Les Terrasses.
snow report
For stock up before your go up the hill, there will be a brand new super U at the roundabout from cluses when you turn left to go up the mountain to les carroz and then Flaine. It is supposed to be opening in December.

or get off the a40 at J17 (bonneville industrial estates) and turn left on roundabout just after the peage, there is a big carrefour market just down a slip road on the right about 100 metres from the roundabout.

Then take N road to cluses when you come out.
ski holidays
We didn't find the supermarkets in Flaine good last year, although in fairness it was right at the start of the season. If you want more, without going right back down to Cluses, there is a big Spar just below Les Carroz. It's British-owned, and has everything you're likely to need, although at a price. There is also a very good butcher in Les Carroz.
latest report
sj1608, February is heading into "maximum euros per hour" time - the supermarkets will be well stocked.
snow conditions
scorpio21 wrote:
What are the supermarkets like close by and how close are they? Looking to buy things like fresh chicken, apples, bananas, cornflakes, pizza, wine etc......

The only 2 supermarkets (mini markets but well stacked up) are Spar in Foret and Sherpa in Forum.

Spar - slightly more expensive of the 2 but delivers for free to the apartments at Terrases d'Eos, in combination with the butcher if you order form him as well ( butcher next door). We tend to do Butcher's rotisserie chicken & gratin and salad or his lasagne and a bag/tin of peas. Plenty of wine but I find the local Mondeuse pretty filthy.

Sherpa , slightly cheaper and has the advantage of being v close to the skiing if you need to buy something to "top up" for your rucksack on the way home i.e. butter etc.

The one piece of news that should favourably impact on your food budget is that a new button lift is being put in at Grands Vans which will mean that a quick return to Terrases d"Eos for lunch will be completely realistic - but this might mean that a bigger shop might be required in the first instance. It certainly means an end to shelling out €20 per child for pasta and a coke.

Edit spellings!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 19-08-14 19:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy