Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance for an American citizen

Poster: A snowHead
My son inlaw and his girlfriend are coming to Austria with us next Saturday and whilst we normally set him up with a Direct Line policy, as an American citizen they do not cover her (she is staying with him on a 6 month visa).
Has anyone any experince of this or ideas as we really want to ensure that she is covered.
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Steve.S, usually it suffices to be UK resident - shop around a bit. Or try Columbus Direct - I used them as a French resident travelling to Canada. (Ski travel insurance impossible to get in France, clearly the French never go anywhere.)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What form of medical insurance has he now? Surely that would also do, if not he could probably buy holiday insurance himself off a US company?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
patricksh, The US travel insurance market is almost non-existant in UK terms and I usually get it whille buying the flight process. If she's a temporary resident then surely she has an EU address. If she has existing US medical that should cover her medical bills but not repatriation unless it's in the policy and US policies come in an infinite range can and can't do's Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Patricksh seems to have the best approach. Dog tag won't cover unless your main home is in Europe.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bob, If she's there with a residential visa that's her residence, may be worth them doing some more checking.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
6 month visa could be a simple holiday visa or fiancee/proposed civil partner visa. The former would probably not confer residence, the latter might?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seems unlikely that it would work with Dogtag, not user who thay are behind the badge, but i'm guessing all UK based co will have asimilar view. Hence US based travel worldwide insurance with Skiing adeed seems the most sensible approach.

"Residence of the UK or Channel Islands.

We can only cover you if you have your main home in the UK or the Channel Islands and have not spent more than six months abroad during the year before the policy was issued"
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bob, It all used to be soooo much easier Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
oh yes, now everyone gets twitchy about cover. But its one of those thing that we do need to make sure that is 100%, just in case..
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steve.S, been trawling through US travel insurers . . . Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad If you find one that does international and ski together PLEASE let me know . . .
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is there an Austrian version of Carre-Neige? Or would Carre-Neige cover Austria perhaps? Nobody has ever asked us for any info when adding this to lift passes in France, assume it covers most of the major cost bits that can happen on a ski trip.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone
I asked Direct Travel if they could help but just got a knock back, am still awaiting a reply from Columbus.
As Americans obviously ski in Europe there must be an answer, I will ask Rebecca to phone home and get them working on it for her.
I guess with health costs so high in the States and no prospect of free NHS care as back up any UK based insurer will probably assess the risk as one they dont want to carry.
Having said that there has to be an answer, I will let you know how I get on.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've a call out to my local ski club that's running a trip to Livigno this season to see what they're doing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steve.S, I'm pretty sure these people will cover her. I used to have an annual policy with them when I lived in the Middle East. https://global.ihi.com/Travel+Insurance.aspx

The only issue I can see is whether you say she is resident in the US or the UK which will presumably affect repatriation and possibly the theoretical trip length - if you say US, I think it becomes a 6 month trip but you could buy single trip insurance for just the period of the skiing as long as it's 3 days prior to the skiing. If you say UK, you might have to clarify with them if they will accept that as her PERMANENT residence (it's kind of a temporary permanent residence... Puzzled )

I've never had to make a claim but as they're part of BUPA I would expect it all to be dealt with professionally. It's not in the policy but I seem to recall asking them on the chat button about off-piste skiing which was no issue. In fact, I think they barely even consider skiing as hazardous; their exclusions are Motor Racing, Base Jumping, Paragliding, Specialized Mountaineering and Trekking to the North Pole. Oh, and they like to be told if you're going to a war zone Very Happy Never occured to me to ask about search and rescue costs if it avalanched which might be worth doing but I guess you could buy that with the liftpass if it's a problem.

See what you think. If you do talk to them, please give feedback. I might be moving abroad again and would be interested in the responses. Cheers.
snow report
Another place to trawl with . . . http://www.insuremytrip.com/index.html

and http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/travel-insurance.htm
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
Steve.S, been trawling through US travel insurers . . . Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad If you find one that does international and ski together PLEASE let me know . . .

Have just seen your earlier post. They're not US but IHI would definitely work for you. The Annual policy is dirt cheap too as long as you never go away for more than a month.
snow report
Steve.S, but what is her cover now? Is it still her US insurance or has she taken out a PHI policy in UK? My Irish PHI covers me for medical emergencies abroad (I think with poss exception of US funnily enough) so only thing I ever need to worry about is Carre Neige
snow report
Steve.S, does she not have insurance for her 6 month trip anyway? Can this not be upgraded for winter sports cover? Maybe I'm being over simplistic but sometimes the obvious is easy to overlook. Just asking.
snow report
Raceplate, Thank you, very much appreciated. I'm pretty sure I've been well under-insured for my last few trips. I'm multi-national and travel with a European passport as well so I could probably blag it but better to be safe than caught out. I can (technically) claim a UK address, just. wink
snow report
patricksh, Great minds eh?
snow conditions
I suggest that you get some online cover from the USA - I had to do that 10 years ago when I was working in the USA and was going to Breckenridge - the USA companies wouldn't insure me because I didn't have residency status so I got mine online from the UK.

Paid off for me - I had to cancel the trip (brain tumour - so nothing trivial rolling eyes) and I claimed nearly £2000 back from the insurance policy.

Then bizarrely some months later, Mastercard refunded almost the exact same amount - which was nice snowHead
latest report
lilywhite, no-one is heeding us tho
snow conditions
patricksh, oh well *shrugs*
ski holidays
As Lizard says, try Columbus, they seem to be a little more flexible in what or who they will cover. If not may be a trip to an old fashioned high street broker may get you access to a more flexible approach but it may also cost more.

Out of interest a quick Google came up with this, MPI Brokers, as the first hit. I have no knowledge of them and I am sure there are a few more brokers out there as well.
snow report
Thanks everyone.
She managed to set this up with an American insurer
Just need it to get a bit colder in Schladming to turn the current rain to snow, although it looks cold and sunny for next weekend but with not much snow
snow report
Steve.S, Could you post here or PM me the basic details like provider, cost and if it's complete medical or just a top-up to her current, Cheers
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy