Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Second week done... where to go from here??

Poster: A snowHead
Right I've just returned from my second week skiing and I'm looking for some feedback and direction.

I shot as much skiing as possible with a gopro and I'm intending on uploading some videos in order to get some feedback.

I also received an end of week 'report card' (below) from the 'Scuola Italiana Sci'... which I'd like if somebody can help me decipher it's meaning?

My overall score was 595

My first video is below, as I trawl through the rest of my footage i will upload some more videos...

http://youtube.com/v/PqTo_EikhIY

I'm the guy in the green jacket and white helmet.

The problems I have identified so far is that i'm sometimes not far enough forward and have a habit of leaning back a little. I also think my stance looks a little awkward...

TIA,

Tom
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Second upload....

http://youtube.com/v/rAs9Vx0ZRaQ
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tomb, I'm no instructor or expert, one will be along in a minute I expect, but I think you're doing very well for 2 weeks.

One thing that strikes me is that you tend to do a very quick turn, then straight, then turn again, so a bit Zig Zag, rather than nice round turns.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, Ah yeah... i was in a dreaded 'snake line' in those 2 videos, I will try to find some footage of me skiing at my own pace/tempo.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tomb, I am only a learner myself, but I know I would have been pleased if I had looked that good at the end of my second week. FWIW I think your arms and hands look OK, but others will know much better than I.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tomb, Stop looking at a spot 5 foot in front of your skis and your stance will improve immediately but for 2 weeks, nice work. snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Like the others said: you're doing very well.

Advice? Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Aren't snakes great, only takes one person to do z turns and it becomes infectious!

tomb, nice work for second week!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque, will that really sort my stance out? I wasnt aware i was fixating on a certain spot Embarassed

gatecrasher, Yeah it got annoying.... Both my ski holidays so far have been with my fiancé's sisters' school trip. They're great because I get a weeks accommodation/food/tuition for a great price. The only downside is that this year there were a lot a new skiers... so the group i skied with was not as good as the previous year and i felt slightly hampered, especially when we got into a snake Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
tomb, You need to jostle a bit more and make sure you get the spot right behind the instructor! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gatecrasher, Ha, I did that a few times... it worked a treat until we lost a few of the slower kids/fiancé rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tomb wrote:
will that really sort my stance out?
Nothing wrong with your stance.

Slow down your movements so you don't force your skis around quickly. Use your movements to get more grip at the start of the turn. Looks good for just a couple of weeks, and nothing 'bad to fix' just stuff you can keep on improving. If you can afford it I would say keep taking lessons from good instructors and they will help you to continue improving at an impressive rate, so you can become a versatile skier who can mix up different ways of steering your turns to cope with a wide range of terrain and snow conditions.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
asking for feed back from a few clips on a forum is gonna get you 50 different views and probably just confuse you

try and get away again this season
you will improve loads each trip but only if you continue with getting good instrction.
doesn't have to be every day, can be a couple of 2hr private lessons.

once you are up to tackling reds, there are some good training options on the glaciers out of season such as insideout's trip
http://www.insideoutskiing.com/holidays.html#5
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tomb, it rounds your shoulders and curves your spine putting your head (heavy) forward past your toes which makes you think you're too far forward on your shins and toes so you stick yer bum out a bit to compensate. Head up and your hips go forward, you're looking to your next turn and your skiing smooths out as you're already prepared for the terrain. at the moment you don't have enough time to react and your skiing is stiffer than it could be. Head up look where you want to go and relax. It's not your stance so much as posture and it's not a huge change.

Recommend Rob and Co, 'Inside Out' to bring you on before your next trip, have fun
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, thanks and will do.

Neville, unfortunately not an option to get away again as I'm getting married this year... However I think I've convinced my fiancé that a bit of glacier skiing in Austria for our summer honeymoon is a good idea Toofy Grin

Masque, cheers, i'll take that on board!
ski holidays
tomb, As Rob says, slow things down a bit. You're trying to do 90% of the turn in 10% of the time. Imagine parallel railway tracks in front of you making smooth arcs leading into the distance, now try and keep the tips of your skis on the tracks.
ski holidays
tomb wrote:
rob@rar, thanks and will do.

Neville, unfortunately not an option to get away again as I'm getting married this year... However I think I've convinced my fiancé that a bit of glacier skiing in Austria for our summer honeymoon is a good idea Toofy Grin

Masque, cheers, i'll take that on board!

We did that! Drove out and did a 2 centre trip 1 week in Dolomites and 1 in Mayrhofen skiing at Hintertux. Make sure you're happy on reds. It was interesting having first turns for 2 years (broken hubby followed by saving for wedding) on a red piste. Was great and far more us than traditional honeymoon destinations.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy