Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving from Montgenevre to Chamonix...ideas for stops?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Next month my wife and I are visiting Serre Che/ Montgenevre/ Chamonix for our anniversary. We will be driving from Montgenevre to Chamonix through Torino. Does anyone have any suggestions for stops along the way? She has never been to Europe.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
a2thak, Any particular reason you have to go via Turin? It's less than 4 hours if you don't.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
None, except we have all day and thought we would enjoy driving through Italy and stopping along the way.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you do decide to travel the "correct" way I'd recommend Briancon other than that, not much springs to mind. Courmayeur or Aosta perhaps ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bit of a detour but how about this: http://goo.gl/maps/XXKAu
As above go to Briancon then take the N85 (Route de Napoleon) to Grenoble. From there make your way Annecy, a nice place to stop for some food by the lake.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Other than Exilles on the SS24, there's not much between Montgenevre and turin. Turin city centre is a nice diversion with some good shopping, decent culture and great food. You could spend a night and go for dinner at La Gola for a taste of great Italian food. la Gola, Corso Matteotti 59, Torino phone number: 011 5111012. The Art Hotel Boston is a nice place to stay.

I'm afraid my knowledge stops there, I'm sure there are some decent stop-off further north once you have left the drab Torinese plain. I would try the michelin guide

I hope that helps somewhat. Maybe check viamichelin http://www.viamichelin.com for a decent restaurant around Aosta.

Gerry
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have never heard the word "enjoyable" about driving in Italy - terrifying more like - especially when you are off motorways/dual carriageways and lunatics hurtle around overtaking on blind corners. However, Aosta is quite an interesting historical town for an hour or two (but remember everything closes for 2 hours or so over lunch) and Courmayeur is always worth visiting for the bling.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The drive from Montgenevre down to the motorway near Oulx is pretty straightforward. With the route you are planning I suspect stopping in Courmayeur might be your best bet.

I would certainly not recommend stopping at Susa just south of Oulx. We drove there from France during our summer holiday and had a very bad dining experience in a restaurant there. The other thing that happened in Susa, which was quite funny was that we parked in a space near what we thought was a ticket machine. I said to my husband, I'll just go and get a ticket for the car and found myself staring at not a ticket machine but a condom machine - in broad daylight Laughing Embarassed We hurridly moved to another carpark before the children noticed!

Have you considered driving the other way to Chamonix - down to Oulx but then north through Frejus tunnel to France, along the Maurienne valley to Albertville where I think you can cut across to Megeve/Saint Gervais and then along to Chamonix. If that route is too high for winter maybe there is a way via Annecy. Annecy and Saint Gervais are both nice towns to visit. I would go either of those ways rather than mont blanc tunnel but double check on via michelin website as I'm saying this from memory and am not sure off hand which is the quickest route.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowymum wrote:
Have you considered driving the other way to Chamonix - down to Oulx but then north through Frejus tunnel to France, along the Maurienne valley to Albertville where I think you can cut across to Megeve/Saint Gervais and then along to Chamonix. If that route is too high for winter maybe there is a way via Annecy. Annecy and Saint Gervais are both nice towns to visit.

This route is usually open - I have driven it myself a few times in the last few weeks. Even during heavy snowfall it stays open but check the status of the Gorges d'Arly before you set off: http://www.megeve.com/ete/mont-blanc/alpes/haute-savoie/france/page/etat-des-routes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I have never heard the word "enjoyable" about driving in Italy - terrifying more like - especially when you are off motorways/dual carriageways and lunatics hurtle around overtaking on blind corners.

I found it a lot less terrifying than I expected, though I've not done a lot - several trips down through the Frejus and Mont Blanc tunnels, then motorway to Genova. But I've driven a fair bit round Genova now and find the standard of driving better than I'd expected. Italian friends tell me the north is very tame. wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Eyetie driving thing, up north anyway, is a bit of myth. I drive in northern Italy all the time and never had a drama or noticed any difference between there, France, Germany etc
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy