Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva To Aosta Valley

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

3 of us have flights booked into Geneva on Wednesday 6 March / flying back on Sunday 10 March (4 nights in total + 3 full days skiing).

What we didn't realise is that this is bang in the middle of the French school holidays - this is making it pretty hard to grab a hotel in places like Val d' Isere etc (never had trouble booking hotels for less than 1 week in the past).

I was wondering what the transfer time between Geneva (we need to make an early start on Sunday as flight back to UK is at 10:50AM) and somewhere like Cervinia or any of the other Aosta Valley resorts is? Is it doable over a weekend?

We’d also be grateful for any other resort recommendations (we are mileage hungry strong intermediates).

Many thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
About 2.5 hours to La Thuile when we did it at half term once. You might have to hang around a bit at the Mont Blanc Tunnel.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Incidentally for 'strong intermediates' Cervinia would likely be the wrong choice. You'll get bored unless you haul over to Zermatt, or do the long descent to Valtournenche over and over. It's generally a very flat domain. Pretty well every red is more like a blue.

La Thuile would probably be a better base, and then you can day trip to Courmayeur one way, and Pila the other way. That's tons of variety and quite a few good testing runs (try the La Thuile blacks!) for a 3 day getaway.

I don't especially rate La Thuile for a week's hol, but it would fit the bill here very nicely.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
franga, If I recall Cervinia is about an hour from Aosta so again perhaps 2.5hrs from Geneva. Google seems to agree.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
franga, Plenty of hotels in Courmayeur and Aosta.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would strongley recommend the Casa De Giorgis in Aosta. Lovely appartments http://www.appartamenti-aosta.com/sito/pagen/chisiamo.htm aqnd they do split weeks. Parking nearby and some cracking restaurants within 100m. You will need to get up early to miss any Gondola queues. We had a fab short break staying in Aosta and skiing Pila. 2.5 hrs should see you ok on a sunday am. Ask for a return ticket at the tunnel, saves a good whack.

Some friends were in Cormayeur the same week and skied Pila for the day with us. They much preferred Pila.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Some friends were in Cormayeur the same week and skied Pila for the day with us. They much preferred Pila.

Out of Courmayeur, La Thuile, Cervinia and Pila: the one I'd most readily go back (to ski*) to is Pila.

*I'd more likely choose to holiday in Cervinia in actual fact, but only to ski Zermatt, not for Cervinia itself!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Staying in Aosta gives a lot of options for skiing, Pila, Monta rosa, Cervinia etc. plus small places like Crevicol. And good eating in the evening Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great - thanks for your advice.

Given that we only have 4 nights to play with, can we choose a base and drive to a different resort each day? Any bus links between resorts (I'm assuming they're not linked by lift)?

Thanks again
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
franga, Pila is accessed via a cable car from Aosta and there is a bus up to Courmayeur. Otherwise driving will be best. Crevicol is maybe an 20 min drive while most other places in the valley are under an hour.

Webcams & links for assorted resorts here:

http://www.lovevda.it/turismo/prima_di_partire/in_tempo_reale/webcam_e.asp
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fantastic - thanks for all your input.

We're set on Aosta now .. on with sorting practicalities out.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy