Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

More Mayrhofen Tips

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Heading out to Mayrhofen on 12 January, staying at the Neuhaus. Have followed some of the previous threads and I think I will head to the Horberg lift for initial uplift.

I would class myself as an ok intermediate boarder. Like many people I struggle in bad light/snow (not helped with having lost some sight in one eye). Are there any tree runs in the area where I can go play in the (hopefulyl unlikely) event of bad weather/light days?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
there are some tree lined routes, Ahorn's red is a fun run as well as you can ski to the lift, worth a couple of runs in the morning if the weather is bad, or download midafternoon when its quiet and finish off at Ahorn , means you can ski down to bottom and into the bar.!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Probably will do the ahorn run a few times. Is it a proper run or just a road? Any other good tree lined areas?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Vaguely recall that a fair amount around the top of the Penken and Horberg are reasonably sheltered? Been a long time since I skied that area though.

Neuhaus is where I always stayed. Since the bus stop is right on the corner, and Penken is the other end of the main street, I'd try the bus to both Penken and Horberg, on different days and see which is best. And since it's right by the station, try Zell am Ziller and Kaltenbach for a day each.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also grab the bus the other way and enter the system via Finkenburg. And defo do a day at least up at Tux.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll be in Mayhofen for a week on 19th Jan, staying in the Neuhaus Landhaus. I've heard that Zell am Ziller, which can be accessed by the train, (included in lift pass) is the place to go in bad weather as there are lots of sheltered tree runs there.

Have fun!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The queues up the Penkenbahn can be quite busy in the morning (unless you're a REAL early riser) so it's best to mess about on the Ahorn first thing and then get up the Penken after that....and as Bode Swiller, deffo hit the Hintertux....the bus stop is outside the Crystal Ski office.

Don't get bogged down in the Ice Bar...try Bruck & Stadl for an alternative for lively apres.

You'll have ball.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't need anything too wild for apres, usually just a couple of beers before dinner, any tips for cheapishbeer
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The umbrella bar at the top by the cable car is a good laugh. Mrs Rhoobarb met our friends kids and took them for a drink - the barman made them soft drinks that looked like cocktails, which led to some very funny looks from other customers Razz
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kb36, There is a bar across the road from the Neuhaus, which I think is called the passage cafe bar. basically there is a parade of shops on the corner and it is next to the ski hire shop. 3.30 euro for 500ml zillertal pils, thats about the best you will get. Word of warning though, if you dont like smoking, then this is not the place for you. After skiing I think it is the austrians favourite hobby! If you to watch any of the football, they show all the games in the kino bar just opposite where you are.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
3.30 for 500ml, can't get it as cheap as that at home!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Best tip for Mayrhofen: head out to the other area's after a couple of days (Zillertal Arena, Hintertux, Kaltenbach). It's included in your pass and there is so much to explore!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Defo going to explore wider area, got no pro blem jumping on train or bus, hopefully no bad weather days but if there are hopefully find some trees to play around
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Defo going to explore wider area, got no pro blem jumping on train or bus, hopefully no bad weather days but if there are hopefully find some trees to play around

From the neuhaus you're ideally located to hop on the train, first one is 08:18 I think and then half hourly. 15 minutes to Zell, about 25 to kaltenbach. Buses seem to meet all the Zell trains, I can vouch the claim that its good in bad weather as I did, a week last wednesday. Hochfugen accessible through Kaltenbach had some lovely tree skiing, also in bad weather a week ago today! Kaltenbach you just walk from the train station, its nice too in that you can ski right back down - my tip, stop for a beer in the place just before the mid station ( somethingstadl) and ski back down in the dark(ish) - piste is floodlit, light is very magical, the valley seems to light up pink in the alpine glow. Compared to those two, Penken seemed a bit lame. Hintertux is easily accessed on the green line bus from the train station, 08:20 and then every 20 minutes. Takes about 35 mins and then another 30odd to get up the 3 stages of the "gletscher bus", what seems like an age after leaving the hotel you pop out at 3300M, but its worth it!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Given your staying at the bottom end of the village the you will be bussing it to one of the gondolas so the Horberg will work fine for you, but the second/third week of Jan tend not to be too busy anyway at the Penken.

A tip for avoiding the downlift queue is to ski/board back down to the Horberg at the end of the day as there is a tree lined ski route that will take you all the way down, but it is not for the inexperienced or faint hearted due to poor signposting and the 6 feet deep moguls at the start.

It has a 1030m, end of the day, leg sapping vertical drop.
ski holidays
JimboS, I killed one of my Volks NRG 380s on that....we had to climb over fallen trees at one stage as the road was blocked and the lad I went into it with lost a ski the forest and took us ages to get it back as it fell into the trees....NOT to be repeated.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy