Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hired Ski Equipment Insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Wondered if anyone had any experience of claiming through travel insurance policy for loss of hired ski equipment?

I have looked through small print on policies and all seem to insist that cover only applies if skis left in ski rack outside restaurant/cafe at lunch time. I questioned Direct Travel and they said skis had to be left in locked ski rack?

Never really examined policies when I went skiing last winter and left skis against wall at ski school or near ski racks but if racks are available they are nearly always full.

Ski hire shop offered some sort of insurance cover but assumed I wouldn't need it.

Do people usually pay for equipment insurance cover when hiring skis from hire shop? Would this sort of insurance cover loss/damage etc, in any eventuallity?

Thanks Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My boyfriend had the ski shop insurance last year and I managed to get his board nicked from outside the supermarket at the boom of the slopes at ADH. Ski shop were total knobs and were saying he needed to pay €150 despite the 'gold insurance' which was meant to cover any loss or damage. The insurance paperwork made NO mention of excess. Luckily the rep did some cross words with the hire shop in French and all was cool.

So no advice really, other than I now carry a retractable cable lock which wouldn't stop anyone with cutters but hopefully would mean a less determined thief goes for one of the unlocked boards.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another vote for a cable lock, being careful (e.g. swapping one ski with someone else when leaving them alone) and then self insuring.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the tips. Will have a look at buying some ski locks.

My ski boots disappeared from hotel boot room last holiday. Taken by accident but soon returned when person who took them realised they too small! Had me worried for a while.

Have seen skis left outside shops, stuck upended and left at the bottom of piste, left outside toilet blocks. Kids ski school just leave all kids skis lying in the snow by nursery slope when they take kids off for lunch. All very easy for opportunist thief and I guess no insurance cover for these!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do what I do , use old cr@ppy skis that no one wants to nick! wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Do people usually pay for equipment insurance cover when hiring skis from hire shop?

yes. It's €1 a day.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w,

It was 10% of total hire cost last time we hired skis in Obergurgl - enough to put anyone off, I would think!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In Wengen it's included in the hire cost though it does require you to have a police report for loss or theft
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A number of the French resorts are now using Ski Key racks outside shops and restaurants. The locks are about €20 and quite small to carry around. If you split your skis and only lock a single ski each you can get away with only one lock. I found them easier than using a cable lock which I used to carry.

It doesn't answer your insurance question but might help stop your kit being taken.

http://www.skikey.com/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

It was 10% of total hire cost last time we hired skis in Obergurgl

rip off. €1 a day round here.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
booked last night with Snowbrainer and took the insurance (£6.40 for 6 days). Passo Tonale-IT

hopefully I do not need to use it
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
redbaron51,

Thanks, will take a look.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Inycon, ski holiday insurance often covers this - check that too I suggest
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Be warned. I have sooper dooper worldwide platinum plated diamond encrusted travel insurance through Natwest, but actually covered by UK Insurance Ltd, and they are trying to say that hired/owned skis are not covered for damage while in use. (It was just a question I asked of them before travelling rather than an actual claim). Consequently I may have to take out the ski hire shop's own insurance anyway or bear the risk myself. I keep insisting that they don't understand their own policy document, but they won't have any of it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Be warned. I have sooper dooper worldwide platinum plated diamond encrusted travel insurance through Natwest, but actually covered by UK Insurance Ltd, and they are trying to say that hired/owned skis are not covered for damage while in use. (It was just a question I asked of them before travelling rather than an actual claim). Consequently I may have to take out the ski hire shop's own insurance anyway or bear the risk myself. I keep insisting that they don't understand their own policy document, but they won't have any of it.
snow report
I normally pay the extra with the ski hire shop for their insurance as much easier to deal with them directly. Worked out quite well for me on off piste bash where I damaged a Scott pure and the 6 euro insurance saved me a bit of money and hassle.
latest report
I never take it. Usually hiring 4 sets of skis. Haven't lost any yet. We swap one ski with the kids and leave the unmatched pairs in different places. If someone wants to steal one ski, no problem. If they want a pair, they will have to work for it
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy