Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada in April

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm looking to head to Canada this season with my OH. Due to the way my OH leave year runs at work she doesn't have enough leave to get any skiing in before the very end of March/April.

The Mrs has an aunt on Vancouver Island so we're using that as an excuse to have a holiday and get some skiing in. I've skiied in the Banff area before I did my instructor quals out there many moons ago but haven't skied Whistler. I want my OH to experience the Rockies so my rough plan is to fly into Calgary, hit the local hills then fly to Vancouver ski Whistler then spend time in Vancouver and Vancouver Island before flying home.

We could skip Banff all together and just head to Whistler but I really want to hit some of my old stomping grounds and the conditions will be less spring like than on the coast and suit my OH better plus it's a long way to go without seeing the Rockies....

Can't do much about the time of year so I'm really just after some help with the logistics, accomadation tips etc, flights seem a pig, I'm based in the NW Newcastle is the closest at around 2 hours with Manc and Glasgow around 2.5 away. Had a look on Skyscanner and the cost isn't bad but all seem to be mulit stops taking upwards of 25 hours!

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grizwald,

We spent last March in Whistler and have also skied around Banff a few times.

We live in Manchester so had to fly to Vancouver with BA from Heathrow - not a great experience. Have you tried to find out if any TOs (Inghams, Crystal etc) offer flight-only deals, you might be able to grab one of the direct charter flights out of the North of England? We booked our flights via Trailfinders (they'd be able to get you a good deal on the whole trip) - cost was substantially less than what Skyscanner was throwing up.

Not sure what your accommodation budget is but we hired a condo through Allura Direct for our Whistler stay - the owners are great and we've kept in touch, I can give you their details if you want?

Hotel Opus in Vancouver is class - in Yaletown.

Let me know if you need any other tips on Banff / Whistler / Vancouver etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grizwald, It would be nice if planes went were we want them too. Similar issue since Zoom went bust as they had a flight that started in Mancester and dropped in to Glasgow to collect more passengers - then on to Vancouver.

Since then it is Via Heathrow with BA or Air Canada (preferable as you get in earlier). There is an alternative of going via Schipol but that has always seemed daft to me to set off in the wrong direction then fly back over where you have just come from; mind same could be said with going to Heathrow.

TO's do use their own flights too but then you are tied to the specific day they fly and only week or 2weeks possible.

Good news with BA is that if you get the add on flight with them then luggage is taken through for you, internal flight was free when I booked it for Daughter to go in March and only single cost for the extra ski bag which is valid for internal flight to. Flights now from Leeds-Bradford which would be closer, maybe.

I will be expensive going to Banff too and you will loose another day traveling so I would not bother. Every time we look at going to Banff we look at the 5min walk to a huge ski area and think why bother. Whistler is the answer.

+1 for Allura
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Canadian affair may well do a Manchester or Glasgow flight.

Other potential options are KLM but wuld be surprised if they come in competitively priced against transat (which is canadian affair)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^that, or Lufthansa
If you are doing a connecting flight anyway doesn't really matter much about going to Schipol/Frankfurt

BTW though who can say what'll happen this year, last year March wasn't very spring like at all - a mere 5 metres of snow snowHead (Which of course meant Vancouver was living up to it's reputation of being a little on the damp side!)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all the replies, had a good look last night and have drawn the conclusion that it appears that we're either going have to make a couple of transfers for a price of around £600 ish with nightmare-ish looking layovers etc or get a regional flight to London with a direct flight to Vancouver costing about £900 which seems rather expensive in comparrison to other flights I've had over the years. Also knocks my idea of including Banff on the head too.

Airtranstat don't start flying from the northern aiports until into May and aren't that much cheaper and probably the same by time I factored in regional flights. Also checked out the TO's but don't offer flight only to Canada.

We could knock the skiing on the head and go later in the year where we could see more of Canada and drive but where's the fun if you can't ski?!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Grizwald, well the winter is Banffs quiet season - they have significantly more visitors in the summer. If you like walking/camping/biking/kayaking etc, then there are few places better.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The good news

Is that the Greyhoung bus from Vancouver to Whistler is awesome, and a fantastically beautiful journey. I did 2 weeks powder training in Whistler in Dec 2009 (5 weeks or so before the Winter olympics) and absolutely love it!!

I stayed at the Fireside Lodge as I knew a member there. I don't know if they take people without member referals but it was super-cheap and pretty friendly as I was out there on my own.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grizwald, You do have to remember that you are paying a load more in Air Tax now, if you look at the actual flight cost then I bet they are very similar to before.

Confused about your comment is it the cost or the layovers that is the issue? Manchester to Vancouver max of 2hrs hang around in T5. Note TAX is £390 each person ! Hence the increase over your previous trips. If you could go early March you would save £200 each as you are in the Easter busy period - but that could be why you are going.

Try the package people they will often let you add a few days on Ski Indendence have been good for us previously but the Virgin price was unbeatable last time.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Grizwald, all the ski areas you mentioned are stunning in the summer and Vancouver is wonderful then - beaches, nice temperature (mid 20s), great hiking and biking, sailing and other water sports all easily accessible from the city centre. It's strange for people like us (ie skiers), but summer does seem to be the peak season for that part of teh world. Virgin do direct flights from London to Vancouver in the summer, but not the winter. Doesn't seem to make a huge difference to prices unfortunately Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richard_Sideways, Arno, This is the problem, I know we could go later in the year and have a cracking holiday but that would mean missing out on the skiing element. As I understand it There is some glacier skiing available later in the season. I'd not considered the Easter issue, the only reason we're tied to the very end of March is the issue with my wives leave. We got married last year which is the reason she's short of leave until she gets her new leave allocation at the start of April. We could go later in April and avoid Easter will compare flight costs, the bonus of going at the end of March is needing to use less leave due.gov bank holidays and conditions may have a chance of being better. I could sell my OH the idea of heading somewhere in Europe but we're going to hit the Easter issue which having never skied in Europe during Easter don't think it's something I fancy trying.

Found some good flights now at around 700 pp from Manc via Amsterdam with short layover. Problem I was finding with indirect flights was there was multi changes with the whole flight taking 30 plus hours but made it work by shifting the dates.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Grizwald, actually, skiing in Europe around Easter is a cake walk compared with February. I also went to Whistler around Easter a few years ago and there were plenty of people but it wasn't bad at all (Christmas period last season was much worse but still not terrible)
I'm heading out to Vancouver in March and found flights much cheaper if I did not book to go or come back on a Saturday flight
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Grizwald,

If that 700pp includes taxes , that's OK. Why don't you do just Vancouver and ski at Whistler, go inland to Sun PEaks which I think will be v quiet and then do a couple of nights at Mount washignton?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, It should really be easier than this with no kids to consider! Dread to think what it will be like when that day comes.... Thanks for the advice though. Think I need to weigh up the cost to go in summer then weigh up the pros and cons-Whistler liftpass isn't cheap either by all accounts. Budget however isn't a huge issue as it will likely be our big holiday of the year.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
you are 100% correct that the lift pass is not cheap! best get it through a package including accommodation booked online. if not, buy tickets at a 7-11 (there's one in Squamish on the way up to Whistler). Worst option is to walk up and buy day tickets at a window near the lift station. Was nudging CAD100 last time I did that and may be over now!
snow report
gryphea,

Hadn't though of Sun Peaks, and the Mrs aunt lives 35 mins from Mt Washington so hope to have a slide up there too although from what I understand it's relatively limited to some other hills.

I've already resorted to doing a couple of weeks teaching in Italy with some mates as it was the only way other than going solo I was going to get any skiing in this winter. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Grizwald wrote:
Arno, It should really be easier than this with no kids to consider!

rolling eyes
Really? Having spent many years doing the trip from the UK to Whistler, mostly without kids, but also with, organising a trip to Whistler is one of the easiest ones to organise!
Loads of more or less direct flight options (and yes they are a lot more expensive than 10 years ago), Pacific Coach Lines do scheduled transfers (if you miss them due to a late arriving flight, no problem they just book you on the next one) Ridebooker for pre-booked ones, loads of accomodation options all nicely advertised by expedia, whistlerblackcomb, allura, etc, etc.. where you can stay whatever days you want.
I don't recall Banff being much harder to organise/get to either.

Also do a search on here and you will find all the info you need.

Vancouver is definitely much nicer in the summer, in fact it is truly a spectacular place to be. A lot of stuff here is outdoors oriented and so summer is the time to come, probably only head up to whistler once or twice in the summer (for Crankworks/cheeserolling, see friends, etc) since the n. shore mountains have everything whistler does and more (except a lift to get your bike up the mountains!). Never been glacier skiing at Whistler, wouldn't really make a special effort for it though skiing on the n.shore mountains didn't finish until june the previous years!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 3-01-13 15:27; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
Mount Baker is only just over the US border. We drove there in a day no problem, though warrants more than a day trip to get the best.
ski holidays
stuarth, Thanks for the reply, the point I was trying to make is that with us not usually being tied to any set time of year etc to take our holidays I'm finding it difficult as for one reason or another we only have a small-ish window to try and make our trip work. I'm sure there is nothing uniquely difficult about organising a trip to Whistler. I've travelled independantly all over the world and the only difficulties I've found is getting the flights to work and maybe the relatively high cost-this is compared to other flights I've had over similar or greater distances. Obviously a few factors affect this rather than greater miles= greater costs.

At least I'm further ahead than I was this time yesterday, I need to rule Banff out totally and can get reasonable flights at a reasonable cost.

The main issue I need to get straight is whether just to get some skiing in Europe and come to Canada later in the year or plough on with the above.

Cheers
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Mount Baker is only just over the US border. We drove there in a day no problem, though warrants more than a day trip to get the best.

...and that is just to get through US Border Control with a UK passport....

greg
ski holidays
wittenham, I've no idea what it's like for a land crossing, never found it too bad at the airports on numerous visits to the US. Although I have an outstanding speeding ticket for CA so trying to avoid even touching down in the US for a connecting flight Twisted Evil So crossing the border on this trip isn't something I'd consider doing.

Found flights via Amsterdam for just under £600 a head with decent times etc from Manchester, they may be too good to be true though as they were via Skyscanner and don't seem to exist if I go though with the booking. Prices of £900 + pp were making me bork a bit but can live with 700ish.

Right just need to start weighing up accommodation now, people mentioned some condos any particular recommendations? Not sure what sort of budget we have, we don't really spend much time in ski accommodation other than to sleep and eat so loath to pay a fortune for something 'nice' that we won't really use.

ETA

How do people normally get up to Whistler from Vancouver? One option we have is to start our trip with a few days in Vancouver (get over the jetlag) then head up to Whistler. If we self cater a car would make getting supplies easier but then would mean we have a car we're paying for just sat there.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 4-01-13 12:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
wittenham wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

greg

Nah, took about 10 minutes (well did when we crossed at the border just south of Vancouver, though that was a few years ago now.
latest report
Quote:

How do people normally get up to Whistler from Vancouver?

Grizwald,
Try the Whistler shuttle: this does minibus transfers.

http://www.ridebooker.com/transfers/yvr/whistler/whistler-shuttle

Alternatively, as stuarth indicates, Pacific coaches.

If you want to push the boat out, Whistler taxi will pick you up at the airport and take you to your door, and you can stop off in Squamish to visit the supermarket and stock up on groceries (cheaper than in Whistler) -probably not worth it for just the 2 of you, though, especially if you're price sensitive. (Although we've done this in the past, simply because the buses NEVER neatly dovetail with airline arrival times, and it's better (after a long day's travel) to pay extra for the luxury of proceeding straight from the arrival hall into your transport, than have to hang out at YVR arrivals for an hour and a half).

Incidentally, do consider Mt Washington, if you're going to be on the island: it can have epic conditions.
latest report
Acacia, thanks for the info. Will look at the those and weigh up the comparative costs vs having a car. I'd like to make a visit to Sun Peaks too if it's doable which may make having a car more sense, think I need to just get the flights booked then I can iron out the finer details-will have to wait until Monday so I can OK it with the boss.

I hear what you're saying about price vs convenience. Tbh after a long flight we'll normally go for the convenient option more often than not. We're not on a strict budget (don't think there is such a thing for this type of trip) just like to spend more money on the right things rather than spending a fortune on accommodation that we'll hardly be in.

Cheers

ETA

We'd arrive in Vancouver on a Thursday so we could spend a couple of nights there to get over the jetlag and avoid being in Whistler on the weekend-Easter weekend, anyone have any experience being there over Easter? Sometimes you can't avoid crowds but if it's something we can look at doing we might consider arrival days etc.
snow report
Grizwald, If you can get to Whistler - go. With the jetlag you'll be awake at 5am, and get first lift.
snow conditions
Drive from Sun Peaks from Whistler in the winter is not a particularly easy one, also not entirely sure why you'd want to make the effort.

If you go with Ridebooker it is very unlikely you will be waiting at YVR for an hour and a half, likewise pacific coach lines esp. since the departures are I believe more frequent than that - only had to do that once when the flight in was v. late and the next Perimeter bus (they were Perimeter then) was full.
Sea to sky highway (the road from Vancouver to Whistler) is considerably improved thanks to the Olympics, and a good road, but it is still a mountain highway and can have very bad conditions, so not sure I'd want to drive it after a 10 hour flight, also it's harder to get a rental car with winter tyres and all-seasons won't really cut it a lot of the time.

Easter is of course busy, but not really much worse than a weekend.
ski holidays
Grizwald, Don't take a car to Whistler it will cost a fortune to park it ! There are 2 super markets in the village that are reasonable prices and you just walk every where if you get a central village accom.

The bus goes from downtown Vancouver too so I would suggest you did go to Vancouver first as it is late when you get in and you just want to sleep - then travel up to Whistler. You can book coach on-line. Obviously weekends are busier at any resort and Whistler is no exception so if you can stay in Vancouver for the weekend and just go up to Whistler on the Sunday.

Have been there 4 of last 5 Easters and it has been great - sadly not doing it this year.... Sad But it is in planning for next year
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Grizwald, If you can get to Whistler - go. With the jetlag you'll be awake at 5am, and get first lift.

^that. Get on the bus, fall asleep, wake up the next day skiing (having got off the bus at some point! wink )
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways, Good point, I've travelled west allot and sometimes Jetlag hasn't bothered me other times it's taken 24hrs at most to get over it i.e. try to stay up as long as possible but then wake up at 3am local time the next morning and can't get back to sleep.

stuarth, I hadn't looked at the logistics of including a trip to Sun Peaks I guess it was just to try out another area while we're there not likely we'll repeat the trip anytime again soon. Flight gets in at 1520 local time so we could get to Whistler that morning ready to go the next morning or spend the time in Vancouver.

Jake43, Thanks for the info, hadn't considered parking return bus for 2 of us will be around £80. Haven't looked at a private transfer yet. What were conditions like when you've been over Easter? I'm expecting Spring conditions which I like.

Anyone recommendations on specific accommodation?
snow conditions
Grizwald wrote:
Richard_Sideways, Good point, I've travelled west allot and sometimes Jetlag hasn't bothered me other times it's taken 24hrs at most to get over it i.e. try to stay up as long as possible but then wake up at 3am local time the next morning and can't get back to sleep.

stuarth, I hadn't looked at the logistics of including a trip to Sun Peaks I guess it was just to try out another area while we're there not likely we'll repeat the trip anytime again soon. Flight gets in at 1520 local time so we could get to Whistler that morning ready to go the next morning or spend the time in Vancouver.

Jake43, Thanks for the info, hadn't considered parking return bus for 2 of us will be around £80. Haven't looked at a private transfer yet. What were conditions like when you've been over Easter? I'm expecting Spring conditions which I like.

Anyone recommendations on specific accommodation?

As noted previously, end of March last year was epic! So epic in fact that one day we went up the peak did just one run down that was so good we just stayed in dusty's (the bar at the bottom of the hill in creekside). But this year who can tell?...

If you rent an apartment (through somewhere like AlluraDirect as previously mentioned), it will often have allocated parking - that said I still wouldn't bother as you don't need a car in Whistler and it is not an easy drive - and I do it every week!.
As far as locations, take a look at the WhistlerBlackcomb website, it has a good map of accomodation with most of the choices on it. As far as reccomendations go, it depends very much on what your priorites are and what you want to pay.
The free bus service used to be really good, but due to cutbacks it seemed to become not so good (frequent). I think the new mayor may have fixed this for this year though - I hope so as my appartment is near the marketplace and my son's not all that keen on walking! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
wittenham wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

greg

Nah, took about 10 minutes (well did when we crossed at the border just south of Vancouver, though that was a few years ago now.

the last couple of times I have used that crossing it has taken ages. makes me pretty unwilling to visit Seattle on a short trip now
snow report
stuarth, Thanks again for your input. I've been having a good look at Allura Direct, lots to choose from and from what I can see no engine to allow to search by location or price even so was looking for a specific recommendation, I guess at room only we'd be looking at 160-240 CAD per night but less is fine too Cool Will look at the map you suggest.

We're not adverse to using buses to get to the slopes, ski in/out is nice to have in theory but isn't always all that in reality. We've done allot of skiing in Austria where ski in ski out is no where as common as say France so we're used to buses although who really likes walking for long distances in their ski boots unless it's to or from a bar.....

ETA can see the improved Alurra search engine now I'm on my laptop..... Anyone offe a guide on the location choices?
ski holidays
I've always found the Allura Direct search facility pretty good, although in recent years we've always stayed in the same apartment.

I'd suggest somewhere around Blackcomb base, like the Glacier Lodge for convenient access w/o buses - it's only a short walk along to the Wizard Express chair. (The GL also has the only liquor store in Whistler that opens on Sunday!).
snow report
Grizwald, We always stay in the Village area and can manage to walk from near the Market place so stuarth's son must be very young or very lazy (actually they are probably carrying their own kit and it would be a little too much hassle). You can leave all your gear in Summit 50yds from the main lifts, free if renting from them, other places are available too.

The Delta is our choice and we have been happy each visit, but we get a suite that could sleep 4 so not cheap but great for space. They do also do a single room that sleeps 2 - looks like about $200/night. Allura will prob do a apartment for the same cost. Watch out for HST which is often quoted on top (casually) and is now 20% (like VAT tax). Unlike our VAT prices are normally quoted ex-HST and only added at the last min which is quite a shock.

Sister stayed in a large double room Best Western Listel Hotel which was good too and very handy for the centre and 200yds away from the main lifts. Note you are not going at a cheap time of year. Also next time always book everything by end of Nov as they have discounts on everything pre-season from ski hire to lift tickets.

Note always ask for a deal as they will come up with something off if you ask. Aim for at least 30% if you are stopping 5days or more.

Upper Village is Blackcomb base, and Creekside (cheaper but out of the main town) is the old Whistler centre. Any further out and you are on a bus, but cheaper.

Parking can be $20ish a night unless there is a free spot included.

Conditions late March are normally brilliant. We have been when Easter was late April and you could still ski down to the Village then but quite soft and not really worth it. March will be fine as they still have a month left of the season and will have had huge amounts of snow by then. Most of the skiing is above the first Gondola station hence is brilliant and you will be very very unlucky if you don't get new snow when you are there. In fact the worse problem is too much snow so you can't see what you are doing.
ski holidays
the whistlerblackcomb website is very convenient even if just for getting an idea of cost and location - just shove in your dates and any preferences to location, etc, hit the button and up come a bunch of options.

Stayed a few times in the Mountainside lodge some time back, very convenient and out of the way of the village stroll enough to not be annoyingly noisy.
snow conditions
Agreeing with Jake43, the Delta in Whistler is fab. Means you can save a bit of cash and eat breakfast in your room as they have kitchens.

For a cheap meal out I recommend the Old Spaghetti Factory in either Whistler and Vancouver - the Gastown branch in Van is great but it's in an area full of homeless so keep your wits about you on your way...
snow conditions
Grizwald wrote:
wittenham, I've no idea what it's like for a land crossing, never found it too bad at the airports on numerous visits to the US. Although I have an outstanding speeding ticket for CA so trying to avoid even touching down in the US for a connecting flight Twisted Evil So crossing the border on this trip isn't something I'd consider doing.

[snip]

[snip]

How do people normally get up to Whistler from Vancouver? One option we have is to start our trip with a few days in Vancouver (get over the jetlag) then head up to Whistler. If we self cater a car would make getting supplies easier but then would mean we have a car we're paying for just sat there.

I find land crossings take longer than air, although most of my experience has been at the Niagara border, only a couple times at BC-Washington.

As others have said, lots of options to get to Whistler - just google it and pick the convenience/cost trade off that works for you. Definitely recommend you do not rent a car.

One thing to think about if you plan to weekend in Vancouver that time of year to check that you are not there at the same time as the Sun Run, which is apparently the largest fun run in the world. Very hard to get hotel rooms in/near the city centre [ask me how I know this...]. But it looks like you will miss it, it is 21 April this year. http://www.vancouversun.com/2013sunrun/index.html

greg
latest report
Jake43, Thanks for the info, looking through Alurra Direct there seems to be plenty of choice for what we'd like to pay, just need to decide on a location. Just need to get with OK with work on Monday then I'll be booking the flights ASAP as they'll no doubt only go up from this point. Allot of the condos do have a free parking place included but doesn't seem worth having a car for it just to sit there.

Acacia, What is the name of the property you've stayed at? Seems to be plenty available but once the flights are booked I'll sort the accom out as I'd expect the better ones to fill with it being Easter.

RibenaRockstar, wittenham, stuarth, Thanks for your input too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy