Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3V Challenge

Poster: A snowHead
Last year I spent a week in late March at Les Menuires. We stayed at Le Skilt....it was OK... a bit cheap & cheerful...but it served its purpose. Anyway in the hotel was a large school group with a group of parents. Whilst talking to them, they mentioned about doing the 3 Vallees challenge, which as far as I could make out seemed to be riding the highest lift on each of the peaks in the whole of the 3 Vallees skiing across to the next peak, riding its highest lift & then skiing across to the next highest lift and so on. I think they said that there was 12 peaks....me & mate only managed about 8 but we got a bit lost, going over the same runs a few times & took too long over lunch. ... rolling eyes
Has anyone heard of this 3V challenge ? What is the list of peaks that you need to do to complete the challenge ?

I am out to Courchevel 1650 on the 17/01/13 & would love to complete the challenge this time.

The only mention of a 3V challenge I could see on the net was one involving skiing down to each village/satellite of the whole 3V within one day.....but that doesn't seem to be as exciting as the other challenge.
Any advice/pointers would be appreciated.
cheers,
Ricay Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ricay,

If you look at a piste map you will find a green circle with a yellow skier inside dotted all over the place (bottom & tops of most 'outlying' lifts) - these are markers for the 3v escapade. If you ski all of them in a week then you can go to the lift pass office somwhere and get a certifiicate to put in your scrap book (yep it's for kids!). Alternatively try and do it all in a day - it's quite a mission

http://www.latania.co.uk/skiing/escapade.html for more useful info - I reckon it's pretty tough to do without decent 3v knowledge - if you're stopping to read maps you probably won't finish it, unless you ski like Bode

You can of course make up your own challenges such as 'all the peaks in a day', 'all the villages in a day' or some other combination...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its called the Escapade. You have to go on all the lifts with an Escapade symbol. You get a certificate if you do them all in a week, but the real challenge is to do them all in a day.
Some info here: http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2013/2Dec/NewEscapade/index.html
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers for the info guys. We are staying with someone who owns a chalet & consequently knows 3V very well...just not sure it the other 3 of us are up to doing it in a day !!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
my mate did it in under 6 hours but they hooned it the whole time and had zero breaks, comfort or otherwise Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret, what year?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2008 http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2008/feb/FebEscapaders/bysboys/index.html
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah, Aaron et al's record on the original 14 point Escapade. Didn't think it could be the new 2012 18 point route - that's over 4 hours just sat on lifts Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Its not possible certainly not in January to do it all in one day with the early lift closures. a group of 4 of us spanked it round the 3v last march 2012 and we missed 2 points coming back in to Meribel because the lifts had shut. We were all ex seasonaires of the 3v so map reading wasn't our problem, its riding the cr*p lifts that kill you off. Lifts like the orelle lifts, plan de l'eau, the lifts at the top of the glacier in VT are all painfully slow. I think in March/April it might be possible like the chap in the link above managed skiing on your own and hoping the conditions are good. I remember skiing a few early morning runs on unpisted frozen crud that loosened a few fillings. Also staying in a resort accessible by bus would help for emergency returns home and it helps if the first lift you take is one of the lifts on the route such as Tovets/La Tania/St Martin 1/Golf etc to save making a trip into an outlying area just to ride a lift. We started in meribel where the first lifts we had to take were the old Saulire 1-new Saulire 2. Good luck though and keep the €250 on hand for a taxi home!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thechronicyo wrote:
We started in meribel where the first lifts we had to take were the old Saulire 1-new Saulire 2. Good luck though and keep the €250 on hand for a taxi home!!

Don't know why you'd start with Saulire. If you're staying in Meribel it would be better to take Roc de Fer and Olympic as your first lifts and follow the route from there. That leaves Dent de Burgin and Golf as your last lifts which put you in the right valley to avoid a taxi home if they've already closed. If things are really going badly go back to Meribel from Dou de Lanches out of La Tania.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
that is such a good point i think it was out of habit, and to get over to 1650 as quick as possible to tick them off first. that route done by Adrian Chaffey is genius though i really want to give it a go again now.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Couple of threads in Trip Reports with suggested routes.

Possible to do do in spring, in good conditions and if you know what you are doing. I didn't quite make it last March doe to some slush and a couple of map pauses.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'll be there in a couple of weeks, night try a more realistic 17 lift challenge, and leave out the 4th Valley, as I don't think we'll be capable of getting around all 18, but I do like the idea of a 'challenge' day so want to try something.

Was there 3 years ago at a similar time of year, and the biggest day we did was 60 miles without really rushing so I reckon we could manage 17 lifts this year if we don't mess around.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thechronicyo wrote:
that route done by Adrian Chaffey is genius though

I thought so Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

night try a more realistic 17 lift challenge, and leave out the 4th Valley, as I don't think we'll be capable of getting around all 18, but I do like the idea of a 'challenge' day so want to try something.

Yay! I did 17 Happy
ski holidays
Nice one kat Very Happy any idea how many miles you covered, did you get a GPS track?
snow conditions
As an alternative to the "escapade" try visiting all the piste/lift served villages in one day. Merribel, StMartin, lesMenuire, VT, Motteret, 1650, 1850,1550 laPaz, LaTania Meribel Village, Merribel was the order I did it. It doesn't include the 4th valley or some of the higher (slow lifts in VT so easier to get around than the escapade. Still a long day and includes a lot of nice pistes.
latest report
Quote:

any idea how many miles you covered, did you get a GPS track?

Have a feeling it was about 70 or 80 km. I ski tracked it, but I got a new iphone before Christmas and did start from a new phone rather than restore form a back up so no longer have my data Sad Meant to contract ski tracks to ask if there is a way to get my tracks back.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy