Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

getting 62yr old mum skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Mr Piehole, nope it's fine Very Happy was mostly just agreeing with what you were saying, you made some points I didn't think of, and also reminded me of Manigod where I did my first ever red Very Happy

pam w, thank you Very Happy she's only a size 7 Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry, I think she is too old to learn. The group most likely to be injured on the hill are + 40 females with little experience. Breakages take much longer to heal and learning is tough.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, and who pooped in your slippers this morning Shocked
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque, she is 62, not particularly fit. Things break veru easily at that age and take so much longer to fix. I remember how physically demanding and painfull it was learning to ski - Why bother at that age.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, fitness is relative and always changeable, and breakage depends on many things, not all women get osteoporosis. If she's been active all her life she could be in fine fettle to do this and 62 is not too old to do ANYTHING. You and I both know it's a booger getting older but both of us have been a bit rolling eyes self-abusing so we feel the bumps and knocks more than many but to write someone off just because she's 62 is unwaranted and just a little ungentlemanly Confused
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
To defend FtS, there's no way I would have taken up skiing from scratch at 62. I thought about learning to board at that age and dismissed it out of hand for much the same reasons he gives. From what CSJ says, her mum's fitness and mine are probably much the same (though I have yet to get back to full hill-walking fitness Sad ).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque, as Pedantica says - Skiing and learning to ski are 2 entirely different things. I may also be clouded by the incredible number of tumbles I took while learning to ski. When we were young we would often laugh when falling; at 62 it is something you want to avoid.

I mean no disrespect at all, but am just trying to put forward what I consider a valid and different perspective on this thread.

EDIT:
Quote:
She's 62, not fit as a flea by any means, but not a couch potato.
She had a lesson at Xscape and quit half way through.
She fell over a lot because her legs wouldn't do the snowplough when she was trying to make them do it. She hit her head a few times, trying to avoid falling on her left elbow, which was recently wired together after she smashed it falling on concrete.

She has a great weakness/vulnerability on her left side and an inability to snowplough suggests stiffness in hips and/or knees.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, kit, teaching and technique, all have surely progressed since you learnt. just look at BBC documentary thread in Piste and while Little Miss Punishment says she wouldn't start now she still puts herself in harms way on off-piste training with plenty of falls and not just from lunkheads like me. CSJ says that her mum's always been active and It's down to her to choose her pursuits but I guess you look at life a wee bit differently than I do . . . You sound like my grandad, 'e wur a dour aud booger too wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's true I don't mind falling. (Getting up is another matter....) And I'm a champion snowplougher. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The elbow will heal - she has no particular weakness in the left side of her body, only that while the elbow was still healing, she was very nervous about falling on it at her Xscape lesson.

You tell my mum you can't start new things at 62 and she'll go and start them just to spite you Laughing Laughing she used to fence with me a couple of years ago. Less possibility of an injury, yes. But she is not sedentary. She cycles and walks a lot when her elbow is not broken. So I would say it is not like some fat layabout older person starting. She has also had tests - at my demand - for osteoporosis after she broke her leg 5 years back back. Negative, apparently. Will hassle her again.

You can tell she is an engineer. While on way to hospital with the elbow she was working out how much PSI it took to break the bone rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CSJ did say her mum wanted to learn to ski. I'd 100% agree that nobody (at any age) should be persuaded to ski against their will, but if a basically fit person wants to have a go, at 62, I'd not discourage them. A friend of mine started at 66 last year, three private 1.5 hour lessons with a hand-picked instructor. She didn't exactly make startling progress but she enjoyed it and liked the instructor, and it was well worth it. But she only skied in the lesson - I did discourage any suggestion that she had a session with me - I recognised the skill it had taken to keep her safe and enjoying herself.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
crazy_skier_jules,
Quote:

You tell my mum you can't start new things at 62 and she'll go and start them just to spite you

Job done in that case! Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pedantica, snowHead snowHead I am looking forward to getting her on some 120 blades and helping her find her feet on the gentlest of slopes - probably Manigod like Paulio said - that is if she is not banned from there - she accidentally took out half the jardin de neige on a sledge!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Masque, she is 62, not particularly fit. Things break very easily at that age and take so much longer to fix. I remember how physically demanding and painfull it was learning to ski - Why bother at that age.

I had my first trip/lessons in 2007 aged 59 - I don't think I found it any harder than others in the group lessons

'Why bother ?' - PSB 2012 was my 10th trip - I have years to catch up on
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
codyaitch, it's that sort of statement that gives me confidence - I did wonder if I had started too late at age 40.

FWIW I don't think CSJ's mum is too old to learn at 62, but perhaps she would benefit from these shorter skis and a sympathetic instructor.
snow report
Yes blades are a good idea in this situation.
They are easier than skis and good fun too. Just for your mum to be aware that the technique is different. The main thing being that on blades you stand on two feet much more than on skis which is more about standing on your outside foot.
You can adapt to this very quickly. If she tries to stand on one foot she will experience "Disco Leg" as the lighter ski is so light that it becomes very wobbly. Get her to think more of 50/50% (same weight under both feet) and she'll be away.
Just to note that going on blades isn't great for your skiing technique so probably to book a lesson if she decides to get the 'big boys' out later in the holiday.
Also honing in on the connection between brain and specific parts of the body and training that mechanism will help things go more smoothly... but that's a big ol' subject!
She is very welcome to have a chat with me about her skiing... as I run ski courses specifically for women, who usually come to me with issues such as your mums.

Have a great time... and yes easy slopes are the way forward (for now.) Little Angel
snow report
Please make sure any blades have release bindings as the older ones only had fixed bindings. If you fall they must release otherwise your leg breaks through just above the boot top - seen it happen unfortunately.
Good luck to your Mum. I first put on skis in my mid 30's and I'm now an OAP skiing 6-7 weeks a season.
snow report
crazy_skier_jules, I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to help out with skis - am laid up with an injury after a collision on piste. I hope your trip goes well. snowHead
snow report
From a former Couch Potato -

My wife pressed me to try cross country groomed trail skiing just after my 60'th birthday. Slower speeds seemed more reasonable... until...

the cross country trails melted away toward the end of the season following my 64th birthday and I suggested we try a downhill (Alpine) lesson.

We're now mid-way through our second downhill season and having a great time. We're not going to be racing the GS but are able to ski intermediate (Blue) runs and are starting to explore the easier black diamond runs.

If your mom spends time on the easy slopes and adds a lesson from time-to-time to enhance her progress she'll do fine.
snow report
crazy_skier_jules, my two cents worth.

1. As somebody mentioned earlier the older you get and especially females can find it harder to form a snowplough
2. The nursey slope indoors is steep compared to what she would learn on abroad using the beginner area with a travelator. ( pick the resort having researched the beginner area)
3. The size of the snowlough will be a hell of a lot smaller abroad due to the gentle slope, I love indoor slopes but you have to look at the amount of space available to learn and the fear factor. You are taught about plough breaking in the domes which means a tentative skier will make a big wedge to control speed.
4. the smaller snow plough will assist in any event as she progresses to plough parallel
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy