Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chuff chuff train to Tarentaise - booking?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - after much reading of various threads on here and studying the snowcarbon website I think that next year we'll probably take the plunge and try letting the train take the strain. As we're up north we will probably go for a Saturday daytime train then try and come home overnight, getting 7 day's skiing. It would probably just about be possible todo the Friday overnight and get 8 days too, but that would mean leaving mid-afternoon Friday from up here.

Question is around booking, and for half term in particular. I know Eurostar snow train tickets go on sale in July, but the TGV or routes via Paris aren't til 90 days before (mid Nov?). If we went direct then I think that's all July bookings? Are there any genuinely low cost tickets at half term, or do they start pretty high? We got flights from Manchester to Geneva for £120 a head including bags on the Sunday of half term this year - but the train seems to start at £250 or so return - as the kids get older there's little or no reduction, so that extra day gets quite pricy. Or are we better off waiting for the via Paris options to get a cheapy? The tempting thing will be if in April when the flights come out we see cheapies like this year - we'd love to try the train but not £500-worth!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From your place it'll take you all week!!

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also take into account the cost of your train from the North to St Pancras - although perhaps this is offset against the cost for petrol to airport plus parking (or cost from transfers from Geneva to resort).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hammerite, I wouldn't bet on it. You can get a weeks parking for around £25 now, well at Manchester anyway. At Leeds there's just a post for you to tie your horse to.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hammerite wrote:
Also take into account the cost of your train from the North to St Pancras - although perhaps this is offset against the cost for petrol to airport plus parking (or cost from transfers from Geneva to resort).

Fortunately(?) I travel on East Coast a lot which means I get (a) loyalty points and (b) travel vouchers when they make me late so that bit'll be free!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Eurostar starts selling snow train tickets some time in October I think. They send a newsletter before they open the tills (but you need to register on their website). Not sure about half-term, but when I was buying I checked a few dates in January and March and they all were starting from 79 quid one way.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andy from embsay wrote:
hammerite wrote:

Fortunately(?) I travel on East Coast a lot which means I get (a) loyalty points and (b) travel vouchers when they make me late so that bit'll be free!

Ah good. If not I'd imagine the cost this side would be a similar (or higher) cost as the bit through the whole of France!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wyspa wrote:
Eurostar starts selling snow train tickets some time in October I think.

Think it was September last year - need to check out the newsletter option! Cheers.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't rule out ferry Hull / Zeebrugge or Rotterdam and then train if you are thinking of Austria or Sudtirol. I'm a bit further north than you and have done it from Newcastle / Amsterdam although the ferry times don't fit in too well with the train (which goes direct to Munich).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I could be wrong, but I'm sure I've heard that there are special rates for the train connection into London if you're booking the Eurostar.
Worth a phone call to Rail Europe. In theory, they should be able to sell you a ticket from your home station to Bourg. Their website frequently doesn't have the right info, so phone them and say, "I couldn't get a sensible answer from the website.' That way, if you do book something, they won't charge you the call centre fee.
The train is the way to travel, IMO. So much more civilised than flying. The dead short transfer is the other major bonus.
I've just checked, I got my direct Eurostar tickets on August 3rd last year. I'd setup a google alert for 'Eurostar ski tickets on sale' and bounced as soon as I heard about them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maireadoconnor - interesting - good idea about the google alerts. I was sure I'd heard late July, but then another website said 11 September!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Be prepaired for a struggle:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94057
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andy from embsay, Did the train Leeds to Bourg St Maurice about 3 years ago. Surprisingly painless, once it's booked - the hardest part I fund was sourcing tickets for the Leeds - KingsX leg that coordinated with the ski train (St Pancras direct to BSM) as they go on sale later than the Eurostar ones. I think we paid £13 pp each way for the UK leg and the train left Leeds about 6.30am.

This was for the day train. The overnight train is cheaper and may be easier to coordinate connections. I didn't fancy trying to sleep on it though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
altis wrote:
Be prepaired for a struggle:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94057

Yep - I'll only book it from St Pancras as I get alerts from east coast for the London trains anyway - but those rail canterbury people look good too...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Andy, daytime out, overnight back is a good combination.

there's a page on my site (low fares guide) which tells you how to get discounted rail travel to St Pancras, if you have a Eurostar ticket:

http://snowcarbon.co.uk/train-guides/insider-tips/guide-booking-lowest-fares

The Rail Canterbury people - Phil and Jacky are experts and good.

Coming up to July we'll also do a countdown to train booking opening, and possibly set up some email alert to help you get in at the start.

I reckon you would be safe with £250 return if you get in when booking opens, but can't say for sure.

The 90 days thing for non-direct trains is a pain and outdated - and it isn't always 90 days either.

This page is useful (I think) for seeing which dates can be booked and how much: http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/train-guides/insider-tips/ski-trains-price-check

Hope that helps,
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy