Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lib techs should I believe the hype?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone considering buying a Banana really should rent one first. They are nice in fresh powder but I found it severely compromised anywhere else.

On icy/hard pack/snow cannon boiler plate it was positively lethal. Forget the Magnatraction thing, you will only master ice/hard pack when you learn to ride this surface and you will not learn that on a Banana or any other rocker board. You need a cambered board that you can load up and are able to carve to hold a line and ride fast on hard pack. If piste hooning on any heavily rockered board, you will need to pre-arrange where your mates will wait for you.

As a wet-around-the-ears newby, a Banana would probably help you progress quite quickly in your first few days as they slide turn easily at slow speeds, but they will also quickly prevent you from progressing beyond a very basic standard of riding. You would find it almost impossible to learn to carve on one, as the best carvers find carving one almost impossible or at best deeply unsatisfying.

The powder advantage is way too small to consider it as your only board. If considering it as your powder board, it isn't in the same class as dedicated powder planks (such as a Jones Flagship - he says pinching his beard).

Don't let any of that stop you believing the hype though wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks the most helpful post yet. I'm not starting to think about the k2 raygun? Any bad words to say about that? I know it's a rocker. My old burton is pretty old now and looking for something new.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Correction. I am now starting to think about the k2 ray gun.
Basically looking for a decent all mountain board that can do anything, I love powder so that's why I looked at the lib teck trs.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bar shaker, I pretty much had the exact opposite experience to you when riding the skate banana. I found it really easy to get onto the edge and carve and the edge hold was great even on the hard stuff....when chatting to another chap who was testing the board on the same day, he pretty much said the same as you. I couldn't quite believe that 2 people could have such opposite views of the same board in the same conditions. I can only put it down to the fact that different riding stlyes and different physical attributes (height, weight,stance) will make the same board act totally differently. One of my mates who's a more balls out rider than me tried it the next day and he loved it too.

Quote:

On icy/hard pack/snow cannon boiler plate it was positively lethal. Forget the Magnatraction thing, you will only master ice/hard pack when you learn to ride this surface and you will not learn that on a Banana or any other rocker board.

Couldn't this be said about all boards/riders though? Unless your technique is spot on, you'll never hold an edge on ice, regardless of what board you have.

I'm sold on the Skate Banana to be honest. I've been looking at getting a new board for the last couple of years and have tried the Never Summer SL, capita green Machine, Lib Tech Travis Rice, Burton ICS flying V and some nidecker that i can't rememeber the name of there are also a couple of other that must have been pretty forgettable. The skate banana felt the most enjoyable all round board.

I would try and arrange to some board tests before commiting a large wedge of cash to something that you might not get on with.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Charliefoxtrot, My Brother has just purchased a TRS on the advice of the guy in the shop, he's not ridden it yet, but I'll be happy to report back on how he gets on. I'll probably try it out too, so can report back at the end of Feb Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Charliefoxtrot, Been wrong before but always thought the Raygun had one foot in the All Mountain catagory and one firmly in the Park...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's a huge difference between riding the sidecut (railing the edge) and 'driving' a snowboard. Neg' cambered boards are easy to roll onto an edge and will cut a sweet line in nice conditions. They also, coupled with a rockered tip also make swooping around in powder real easy.

What they don't do for anyone with the pretension to to point a board down the hill to gain whatever balls to the wall fun the steep will gift you . . . is stability and control. Negative camber is not as stable at high speeds as trad and you cannot well drive into and pop out of nor radically alter a carve shape with one.

These new board shapes were created to make some things easier for peeps to look like they can do the things their heros can. They are a compromise to compensate for a lack of technique and learned skill/experience. I'm not going to knock 'em. Just don't pretend the'll make you a better rider, they just hide your flaws.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I see I am asking the wrong questions. Could anybody give me their opinion on a great all mountain board? I want to make the most of the whole mountain with as much powder as I can fit in. Will take powder and steep over park.

And another question, lots of opinions on rockers, but how about the rockers with a camber nose and tail? Best of both worlds or gimmick?
I love my current board but the base is in a right state after lending it to a friend and he decided to board over what looks like more rocks than snow. I learnt my lesson there!
Thanks again for all your posts all very helpful.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Charliefoxtrot, Pretty much any high-mid end board from the bigger guys. Traditional camber with perhaps a touch of rocker to the nose (a bit more upward curl so that the edge that cuts into the snow is a bit nearer your lead foot) to give it a bit more float in powder. I'f you've big feet go for a wide board, same if you're heavy. If you're fat with size 13s you'll have to go fat and long and promise never to go near the park.

Beyond that it's whatever floats yer boat. I really like my board, it does what it says on the tin. Just don't buy this year's top of the line. Read the reviews and buy a 'new' last year's top end board to be very happy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Masque, I'm a big lad and usually ride a 161 burton custom. I have been doing exactly what you said and looking at last years boards, lib tech trs for £300 was the reason for the original post.
Also got my eye on some ride boards as I love my ride revolt bindings and thought/hoped the boards were too my taste also.
There is a forum board I think its a double dog? hence the question about rocker camber combo.
I have decided that rockers may not be the way to go for my style of riding. Thanks for all your help.
Oh and there is an arbor a frame going cheap any opinions on those bad boys?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Charliefoxtrot, Never seen nor ridden one so no opinion, A quick wander through the reviews says good things. If the price is very good take a punt and if it doesn't work out, feaBay it for little or no loss. Though reading says this is a tailsprung board with a lot of pop in its backside so you should love it for fast all areas lunacy. Good luck.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
charlie, imm a big lad and i ride a TRS 159 it lets me get away with things that a normal board does not, i dont know what the issue is with a piece of kit helping you have more fun on the hill, i would try one and see what you think, they do take a bit of getting used to but in my view

' the pro's out weigh the con's '

have fun with what ever you decide, remember you are the one riding it no one else
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dominic1, cheers buddy I agree what ever you choose to have fun who cares as long as its fun
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Charliefoxtrot, I want an all mountain board to be mouth high, reasonably stiff and flat or cambered. It needs a wide nose and a stiff tail.

joydivision's comment is pretty typical. Banana type boards will flatter newish riders but will do nothing for those of use who cut our teeth on old school 180mm boards that were as stiff as a kitchen table. Something that is too short for you will never have the stability for high speed honing but it will flatter your ability to turn a board. The cut of a rocker board means it will never load up in a carve like a rocker board and although I love carving, I felt I was sliding around when I tried to carve one. The more I loaded it, the more the edge slipped. But it was so easy to ride at typical piste speeds and I think this may be the initial attraction.

It was also easy to ride in powder but not a patch on an ICS board with the bindings moved back.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

joydivision's comment is pretty typical. Banana type boards will flatter newish riders but will do nothing for those of use who cut our teeth on old school 180mm boards that were as stiff as a kitchen table. Something that is too short for you will never have the stability for high speed honing but it will flatter your ability to turn a board. The cut of a rocker board means it will never load up in a carve like a rocker board and although I love carving, I felt I was sliding around when I tried to carve one. The more I loaded it, the more the edge slipped. But it was so easy to ride at typical piste speeds and I think this may be the initial attraction.

bar shaker, ahem....I'm not really a newish rider, I cut my teeth on a 2003 Ride Timeless so I'm well aware of stiff boards and how to ride them. I love that board and but its just getting a bit knackered now and i fancy something a bit more playful. The timeless is a quick board, but very unforgiving. I've spent a few days on the Skate Banana and i think its great all round board.

The point I was trying to make is that we had different experiences of the same hardware, therefore rider style/build must come into it. I found it easy to carve the Banana, whilst you said it felt like it was sliding around. You will only know if you like a board when you try it, no matter how many reviews you read on the internet.
latest report
joydivision, Apologies, I meant your comment about different riding styles giving different feedback from the Banana being typical.

A Banana is certainly playful but I would miss the 'nitrous' button that a stiffer camber board gives you.
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
joydivision, Apologies, I meant your comment about different riding styles giving different feedback from the Banana being typical.

A Banana is certainly playful but I would miss the 'nitrous' button that a stiffer camber board gives you.

and the kick-in-the-ass out of a tight carve, plus rockered boards tend to have a 'dead spot' before you can wind them up to olly. I'm not great in the air . . . more of a 'any landing I survive is a good one. landing on my feet is a bonus' type guy, but the two rockered boards I rode needed so much more body english to wring any lift power out of.
snow conditions
I decided to go for a ride Berzerker 159w. The price was really good for a 2012 model. Masque, I know you will be disappointed wink but I thought I would give this rocker/camber combo a go. And if its no good I'm selling it.
Does anybody have any opinions on this board?
snow report
Sorry, bit late to this, been on a beach.................FWIW...........................

Charliefoxtrot the only thing I'll add is ask each contributor to this thread the amount of time they've spent on each board, and what terrain they've ridden. It's often misguided to pass an opinion on something that doesn't click straight away..............just because you don't like it doesn't make it a bad board.

I've spent a lot of time on rockers and more trad boards, and know what I prefer now. IMO joydivision has it about right, and, yes, I ride a Skate Banana, mine being an older model bought in Fernie '08. No, I don't feel the need to change it for one with the latest graphics, but the edges are getting a bit thin, and the base has maybe one last grind left in it.............. Sad

Anyway it's all a bit moot now, so good luck with the new board.
snow conditions
Turn's ice into slush !!!!!!!!!total gobbidy gook

Technique is where its at , learn to ride correctly and ice isnt that big a deal
snow conditions
winterfunman wrote:
Turn's ice into slush !!!!!!!!!who wrote that shoite?

Technique is where its at , learn to ride correctly and ice can be a lot of fun
FIFY
snow report
yep, the only thing that turns ice in to slush is ................ a thaw Smile
ski holidays
Does anybody actually enjoy ice? Everybody is quick to judge that it is technique that should be changed not the board.
I can ride ice but I don't like it. Magnetraction claims to go through ice like a knife through butter, I gather this is a load of old shite from earlier posts. But if the claims were true i would go for it as it would only help. I guess my questions have been answered, I no longer believe the hype. Thanks guys wink
latest report
Charliefoxtrot, on ice it doesn't matter how sharp or tricked an edge is, unless it is engaged in a running track and you are very quick from edge to edge it will never be much better than on your arѕe with a bin liner.
You have to learn to commit, relax and know how to drive and genuinely carve your board. It doesn't mean belting down close to the fall line but it does mean learning how and practicing.
You will fall repeatedly till it clicks. You have to wear protection (knees and arѕe minimum) or you will be stretchered off. But once you have it it will make a huge difference to the rest of your ridding.

Yes it can be fun . . . especially when you whisper past the terrified monkeys on their screeching rattle down the edges of the piste. Twisted Evil
snow report
I'm ridding last years Riders Choice.
Its an awesome board.
ski holidays
Masque, I thank you for the advice and I gather most people on this forum feel it is helping but one thing I have noticed is the questions are almost ignored and an opinion of the riders technique is brought into the mix.
I guess a lot of the guys who post questions are newbies and need all the advice they can get. And those who reply are keen to help.
I am confident carving and ice doesn't bother me really, it's just nowhere near as nice as powder. My cousin is a qualified instructor and has taught me well, many years ago, and we still ride together now. It's very handy!
I know I don't know everything so I will never turn down free advice, but sometimes the good intentioned advice masks the answer to the original questions.
Please don't think I am being ungrateful. I guess I am saying opinions on something I have never ridden but have heard lots about are what I am after in this post.
Cheers again guys
ski holidays
The thanks for the advice was aimed at you Masque, The rest was a general observation. Not aimed at anybody in particular Very Happy
latest report
Charliefoxtrot wrote:
Does anybody actually enjoy ice? Everybody is quick to judge that it is technique that should be changed not the board.
I can ride ice but I don't like it.

I don't personally know anyone that 'enjoys' ice, but there is a certain sense of satisfaction in being able to ride it, and it helps riding technique, generally. Riding ice is a combination of confidence and subtlety, and no heavy edge angles.

Quote:
Magnetraction claims to go through ice like a knife through butter, I gather this is a load of old shite from earlier posts. But if the claims were true i would go for it as it would only help. I guess my questions have been answered, I no longer believe the hype. Thanks guys wink

Any board with sharp edges should be able to handle most things, if the rider's up to it. But, IMO, MT boards ride ice better. Throw an edge hard at it and it will grip, chatter and rattle your teeth, and personally I've never had that, to such an extent, with any other board I've ridden. But if you can't ride ice, MT isn't going to make much difference. It's not a cure all.

I'm not here to convince you to ride anything, just give honest, measured answers based on what I've actually experienced, not heard off a mate or read online. Good luck with whatever you choose to ride, although I thought you'd already chosen. If not, stop trying to second guess this stuff and get out on a few boards and find out what suits you............... wink

JMHO

Edit: sp, doh
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Charliefoxtrot, Nothing beats a board in powder . . . but let's be honest, we spend more time on less pleasurable snow so I've always worked to get the most out of any conditions I'm sliding on. I enjoy hard icy pistes in so far that they challenge me and yes I do get a wee sense of smug satisfaction when an old fart can show the noobs a nice clean edge track past their bulldozing.
I've ridden some shite in my time and I like playing with new gear . . . but I've yet to be persuaded that there's much wrong with a well made 'traditional' board. Where the magna trak makes its mark is that once your edge is engaged it holds it easier than a trad board . . . but you have to know how to get there and manage it in the first place. As you point out, you've had lots of training . . . regrettably too many of us don't bother beyond the basics and you can see that all the time.

The question is a board or ski good or bad is today mostly moot, there's very little difference in the quality of high end boards and the vast majority of the low to mid end stuff comes off the same production line in china just with different top sheets. So really how a snowboard performs is just rider input. GIGO. That's why manufacturers are throwing whatever comes to mind in the form of 'NEW' tech . . . it's to create a USP for the brand and not necessarily to better the board. The result being that snowboarders are buying quivers rather than refining their skills.
ski holidays
I wouldn't want to become a "workman blaming my tools" now would I?

BCjohnny, I agree getting out there and riding is a much better idea.

Masque, did you just give a little credit to something other than a traditional camber board?
I guess it's weighing up weather to sacrifice ability to hold a decent stable carve to gain a tiny bit more grip,
Or as I have chosen to go for a stiffer board that hopefully still carves as well as my old one.
But if all else fails I still have my old board.
Very Happy
latest report
Been riding a rockered board for the last couple of days (Amplid Creamer 162 - a powder board with a flat camber in the tail and a strong rocker in the nose). Actually been really good, no worries to carve on it or even ride it switch.

My one moment of rocker-weirdness was popping a wee 180 on the piste and the board just continuing to rotate on landing. You definitely have to set the landing more than with a cambered board.
ski holidays
Just to add to the discussion, i am in a similar position.

Just got back from my first week on a TRS 161.5 after moving from my old 2007/8 Burton Custom 162. (Coincidentally, I also started out on a 163 Ride Timeless!)

The TRS was a massive step up in terms of quality and rideability from the Burton and I can confirm that the Magnatraction does give a lot more grip in icy conditions on iste at the end of the week after being great in pow on the first two days.

I say go for it!
ski holidays
tfcjaga, maybe it's something about (ex-)Timeless riders, lol! I spent a lot of time on a 163, and still have a 168................
ski holidays
Yep, as my first board after 10 days of riding the Timeless was frighteningly quick! Shocked Loved it and nearly killed myself when i tried to keep an edge at the same speed when i changed to the Custom after about 4 seasons!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy