Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which face covering?

Poster: A snowHead
As usual I can't get the forum search to return anything so apologies if this has been covered twenty five million times before.

I would like something other than a buff to protect my face fro mthe cold.

I usually pull my buff up over my face and tuck under goggles to keep my face warm. However I end up breathing and getting the bit around my mouth wet which then freezes and is horrible.

What should I get? Are airhole face masks any good? Are the standard neoprene face masks with breathing holes good?

Thanks Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yup. Got a standard neoprene mask off eBay (search ski masks) and it works. Not great on hot days but ok when you're not sitting around.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But surely you don't need one on a hot day Puzzled

For the first time really skiing I felt I needed something more at the PSB. My face was shotblasted by ice. I've a neoprene one but never found it comfortable or really used it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Like Claude B I found thePSB B quite challenging facially! My wife had pinched my neoprene mask for cycling and I really could have done with it. The Moniums had quite nice buffs with breathing holes which seemed effective, but if it that cold I think neoprene is the answer.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A merino buff will be much less unpleasant to wear than a synthetic one in this situation.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A balaclava ala racing drivers if really cold, also protects you from kitchen fires in the restaurant if nomex.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah was worried the neoprene ones wouldn't be that effective.

Might try an airhole as it's the wet patch around my mouth I hate on my buff, although they look a little pricey.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As welshskier noticed, we have Airhole masks. They are warmer than neoprene masks, which tend to get a lot of condensation on the inside of the grille, significantly warmer than buffs or fleece tubes, and don't get hugely damp where other masks that you breathe through will. The major source of moisture inside is from me not using it, getting a load of ice in my beard, and then putting it on.

I've tried the rest, and frankly find these to be the warmest and best for serious cold - minus 20 no issue, if it is seriously windy all you do is pucker up to the air hole and it keeps your breath cool, but your face warm. Plus they come in cool designs that make French people sitting in restaurants laugh at you.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://beardbeanie.com/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Buy jacket with high collar that covers up to goggle bottom.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My neoprene mask works quite well. The only issue I have is steaming up my goggles when breathing hard.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bobalexander1983 wrote:
http://beardbeanie.com/

OMFG!!!!! They are genius Smile not worth the $50 though.. if they were cheaper, I would 100% buy one.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 3-01-13 0:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The North Face do an under-helmet balaclava which has a breathable bit for your mouth. Santa brought me one, so I hope it does the job.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.ultimateoutdoors.co.uk/item/Brand_HaglofsWindstopperBalaclava_990_0_34457_1.html

These look pretty good in windstopper fabric.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Search climbing shops... wide range.

http://www.urbanrock.com/balaclavas-helmet-liners-mens
snow report
To be honest though, for wearing with a ski helmet (climbing helmets are adjustable) I'd just go with a thinner liner than the heavyweight fabrics. I have a windproof neck tube for £3 from Lidl for motorbike riding. Stick that round your neck over the thin balaclava, then a neoprene mask additionally to cover the nose and mouth and put hood up over helmet. Should be fine down to -50C Laughing
snow conditions
These are down stupidly cheap from LOUGHBOROUGH only http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/sonic-balaclava-p164776 down from £25 to £11.17 with a discount card (costs a fiver and you can order at the same time).

The Sonic Balaclava from Outdoor Research is a wind resistant fleece constructed balaclava ideal for active Winter sports this season.

Made from GORE-Tex WINDSTOPPER technical fleece for supreme deflecetion of the cold, the Sonic Balaclava also benegots fro Polartec WindPro ear panels that keep heat secured where you need it most.

Designed with a flat seamed construction, the Sonic Balaclava adaptys to fit your own head shape for a comfortable fit, whilst the mesh breathing port ensures you can wear this all day as you ski or snowboard.

At 69g (2.5 oz) this is low in weight, ideal for storing a pocket of a softshell for use when you need it.

http://youtube.com/v/qCHuwvxNbkk
ski holidays
http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/clothing-c7/head-wear-c46/scott-all-season-windproof-balaclava-2012-p199792?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=scott-all-season-windproof-balaclava-2012-size-l-xl-size-l-xl&utm_campaign=froogle#251698

Good price on this too... just bought one myself. Like the low bulk, mix of materials and mesh front.
snow report
rule 5.

zip up your jacket on the chair, but feel the wind when you're skiing
ski holidays
Oh wow, loads of good info, thanks.

feef,
Quote:

rule 5.

Even when its chucking it down with snow, exceedingly strong winds and minus 15? No ta, not after last December's ski trip!

Monium, thanks for your thoughts on the airhole. I think I'm convinced and have ordered on to try out.

Quote:

Plus they come in cool designs that make French people sitting in restaurants laugh at you.

Ordered mine in grey!
snow report
kat.ryb wrote:
Oh wow, loads of good info, thanks.

feef,
Quote:

rule 5.

Even when its chucking it down with snow, exceedingly strong winds and minus 15? No ta, not after last December's ski trip!

Yup.. sounds like my two weeks in Tignes at the beginning of december. Although it was -20
snow report
kat.ryb wrote:

Quote:

Plus they come in cool designs that make French people sitting in restaurants laugh at you.

Ordered mine in grey!

Boring. Mine makes me look like a shark!! Shocked
latest report
Has anyone tried Barts Storm Mask? What are they like?

http://www.craigdonmountainsports.com/barts-storm-mask-12

I'm looking for a neoprene ski mask that only comes up to my goggles, like the one in the link. I already get really hot with my helmet so don't want a full balaclava.
ski holidays
Just to make people cringe agian. Several years ago the CEO of my employer went sking in Sunshine at -30C with a neoprene face mask. It froze to his face and when he removed it overly enthusiaticallly is took a layer of skin with it. Crying or Very sad
snow report
Have a look at Aclima neck gaiters. They are pricey (£30 ish) but worth the money. Made from merino with a mesh lining and the bit over your mouth only has the mesh so you don't get the problem of it getting wet and freezing. Only Nordic Outdoor based Edinburgh (you can order online) stock the brand in the UK but it's massive in Scandinavia.

http://www.nordicoutdoor.co.uk/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy