Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2000

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am looking at booking a trip to Arc 2000 next month but am a bit worried about the reviews on nightlife / restaurants and lack of bus service between the reorts.

We are looking to find a bit of apres ski and a couple of restaurants during the week. is there enough there to keep you amused?

Also, is it possible to walk back from Arc 1950 to 2000 in the evening as this seems a to have a bit more in the way of restaurants?

thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tfcjaga, you don't need a bus between 1,950 and 2,000 because there is a non-stop gondola which is well used by pedestrians at night.

Arc 2,000 is the much better skiing base station and has a few of its own eateries and bars. From what I remember, 1950 is a soulless, Disneyesque theme park and is best avoided.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In terms of apres, Whistlers Dream in Arc 2000 can get quite rowdy straight after the slopes close, and there are a few other bars in resort which are ok. But Les Arcs as a whole isn't really noted for it apres ski. Certainly not compared to the lively Austrian resorts, and not really compared to some other French resorts such as Meribel and VdI which typically have live bands playing most nights from 5. Even Arc 1800 (which is the liveliest Les Arcs centre) doesn't get too ramped up following the skiing, although there are sometimes a band playing somewhere and the bars are typically fairly busy later in the evenings.

There is a bus service between the centres. Its a little bit convoluted in that its actually two bus services; one operates between 1600 and 1800, the other between 1600 and 1950/2000. They are sometimes timed so you can jump off one and onto the other, but getting between 1800 and 2000 can be a bit of a massion and can often take up to an hour or more if you don't time it right. And the buses only run until around 9.30 or so.

Getting between 1950 and 2000 is much simpler with a cabrio lift running until (I think) 11pm. And I don't agree with moffatros about 1950; I think the village (while completely manufactured) has a lot of charm to it, you can ski through the middle of it, and there are one or two nice bars (George's Wine bar in particular).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Guys, that sounds like more than enough for us - we just want a couple of venues in the evening for a drink and a meal on the non-catered night.

Much appreciated - off to book it now! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd echo what Dav says above. 1950 is pretty nice, I found 2000 a bit dull.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tfcjaga, 1950 is a bit more sophisticated than 2000 (which I think scared the operators in 2000 a bit so they have started to up their game - ther's a nice new restaurant Le Savoy and a new deli owned by the people who opened a smaller venue in 1950 originally) you have a great choice of places to eat out, a couple of them with very nice French cuisine and four dedicated watering holes. There's also a night club that runs intermittently under Luigi's (one of the places to eat and drink) - you can get a programme of the times from the bar. Far from being soulless I would say 1950 is great IF you do not want to rave the night away. TBH it's more a family place, hence the wine bar rather than yet another overpriced ski station bar/pub with a so-so band.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tfcjaga, One thing you do need to know is that Arc 1950 is more expensive than Arc 2000 for drinks and food, but both places are very good and have plenty of choice. Well worth checking out the Bowling centre in Arc 2000 for the bar and other activities plus internet.

I also do not agree with the comments by moffatross, Arc 1950 is more of a family base, and CAR FREE plus every building is really ski in/ski out. A real plus with the kids. No long walks carrying ski gear.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry everyone else, Embarassed all I said was that 1950 is a best avoided, soulless, Disneyesque theme park but I'd readily agree it'd be very convenient for families with young children. I also thought that Eurodisney was a similarly creepy and soulless Disneyesque theme park but my own small children enjoyed holding hands with its rather surly, gigantic, Parisian cartoon mice.

Arc 2000 OTOH seemed much more honest and earthy, in a utilitarian, British new-town way, but without all the Friday night vomit and violence. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I found 2000 a bit of a monstrosity with two horrid huge hotels blotting out the sun to the smaller high street just below. A couple of bars under the concrete but all a bit ugly. 1950 is modeled on whistler, a bit manufactured but looks pretty nice and a bit more going on.
However, the ski area is fantastic.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mheadbee wrote:
I found 2000 a bit of a monstrosity with two horrid huge hotels blotting out the sun to the smaller high street just below. A couple of bars under the concrete but all a bit ugly. 1950 is modeled on whistler, a bit manufactured but looks pretty nice and a bit more going on.
However, the ski area is fantastic.

And there it is. There's other resorts that I've lived in and visited that I much prefer to Les Arcs; the architecture of all the villages (1950 apart) does nothing at all for me. However, the ski area is absolutely fantastic, and one I never grow tired of. Its genuinely my favourite ski area anywhere, and I include all the French super resorts and some North American ones including Whistler. Its got a bit of everything all condensed into a space big enough to not get bored and small enough to get round it all in one day.

In one season living there, despite having the full Paradiski pass I visited La Plagne just twice (and one of those I had to because of work!). The only downsides I'd love to see improved would be a more extensive park and a bit more of a lively scene straight after the slopes finish. Plus the Arpette going even more like a Folie Douce would be a bonus (although last season seemed to be a lot more lively than the previous).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dav, only visiting La plagne twice last season was a pity. I go at least once a week over the other side. There is some great skiing/boarding on both side of the VE and variety is always good. The pistes and off piste areas are very different in each area.

As to the buildings, most of what they have built lately is ok, but how the managed to get permission to build the new apartments in Arc 1600 is well!? The older buildings are very dated in design. I do not like them, but I know others that do. Everyone to their own!

Like mheadbee, says, the ski area is fantastic! and that is what counts for me as well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy