Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need drive advice from Munich to St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am arriving this Friday 5:30pm to Munich airport and plan to drive to Innsbruck in the evening and then St Anton next day. I choose car over train for some advice in this forum that it is easier to check out areas in area such as St Anton and Ischgl. But I am concerned about traffic after reading this post below, considering this Friday (1/4) and weekend may be busy due to holiday travels.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1469056&highlight=anton+munich#1469056

Appreciate advice on the following questions:

What travel time shall I expect for driving in Friday evening from Munich Airport to Innsbruck via A995, A93 and A12?

If I drive from St Anton back to Munich on Monday (1/7) via the short route Garmisch? Google maps says 2.5 hours but it may not count traffic.

Shall I switch to train? This will be my first driving experience in Europe with US license and getting an IDP tomorrow. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks,

- Jeff
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That thread was from Feb, 3 years ago, but the travel websites linked are still valid.

Friday evening and Monday ought to be OK. I've never had any issues at those times, although I usually do the Munich-Innsbruck section at about 10pm.

2.5 hours sounds about right, assuming there's no major snow (don't think there is?)
edit: can't comment on the route via Garmisch, or wherever - all of my journeys that way are Munich-Kufstein-Innsbruck, or Stuttgart-Bregenz-Innsbruck.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would avoid road through Mittenwald and Garmisch. Some navigation might calculate it shorter and faster, but thing is, you need to be extremely crazy to drive there by speed even close to speed limits (based on which most, if not all, navigation software is calculating time used for travel). Considering I normally drive like lunatic (and don't have really slow car Wink), yet I never manage to come even close to "suggested" speed, this tells something what kinda road that is.
So my suggestion is, Muenchen-Rosenheim-Innsbruck-St. Anton (and same way to go back). But check road signs when going back, since I have no idea why, but most of navigation software wants you to drive through middle of Muenchen, when on way to airport from Salzburg direction. There's much much faster and more pleasant way, if you avoid center of city and turn north (to A99) before reaching Muenchen. It might be km or 2 longer, but unless you are going there at 3am, it's faster. And even at 3am, you have whole bunch of 40km/h areas through Muenchen with lots of stationary speed cams.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you follow the signs for Munchen Flughafen on the way back to the airport they will take you the quickest way. Once I got to the Alliance Arena junction and kept going following the signs. The road North was busy and they took us to the next junction so just follow the signs. They know best. It may be a little longer but the signage changes depending on the traffic.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Done it many times, my advice is use the trains they are brilliant. If going by hire car suggest that you avoid Garmisch and use the main Innsbruck road, but for us its trains every time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gofan, You will be hitting the A92, then follow the signs to Salzburg on to the A99. At the München-Süd interchange keep following the signs to Salzburg/Innsbruck on to the A8. At no time do you drive on the A995 (it links the A8 with Munich south so you do not need it). At Rosenheim, you switch to the A93 Inntal Autobahn at the Inntaldreiecke. This carries you down to the border at Kiefersfelden/Kufstein where the road changes number to the A12 but keeps the same name.

You may find it a bit slow around Munich on the A99 and traffic will be heavy, but moving along the A8. I commute along the A8 and to be honest I deliberately work from home on a Friday so I do not have to use the A8 Munich/Rosenheim stretch. It is often "stop/go" and crawls up the Irschenberg. The number of HGVs are the real problem especially when they take up 2 lanes overtaking each other - so called Elefanten-Rennen. The whole section is speed controlled so do keep to the limits indicated on the overhead gantries. The A93 Rosenheim -Kufstein is limited to 130km/h maximum and in some sections it is down to 80 because of road conditions. The police around Rosenheim are very hot on taking pretty pictures so be careful.

Once in Austria at Kufstein you are limited to 130 km if there is no 100 showing in the overhead gantries. If it is, do stick to it as it is strictly controlled with both fixed cameras and mobile laser pistol checks. The 100km/h limit in Austria is part of their efforts to reduce emissions in the low-lying Valleys that are also major transit routes. Wether you agree with it or not, it is expensive to get caught and they only allow 3km difference, not the generous 10% you get in the UK.

If you need any more info there are enough of us living permanently in the region to give you up to date information.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't forget the Vignette toll sticker for Austria too (available at all autobahn services between Munich and the border edit: might even be available at rental car desk?). They do check, and it's only about €8 for 10 days (i forget the exact amount).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you all so much for the prompt and detail advice. This forum is great and snowheads are wonderful. I am ready to leave for the trip tomorrow. Hope weather and driving conditions are normal.

On a quick question: is it easy to park in St Anton and Stubai ski area for close access to lifts if I plan to drive there? If not, I will leave car in Innsbruck and switch to trains or bus for ski area access. Taking a bus would just drop off beside lift. Hope not spend too much time to park the car and walk 10 minutes to lifts.

Thanks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gofan, At Stubai you can end up being parked a long way from the lift station for the Eisgrat and Gamsgarten lifts if it is busy. BUT there are a series of buses serving all the car park areas shuttling people to and from the lifts. I have parked a long way away when I was late getting started but still never had to walk far as there are lots of pick up/drop off points dotted around.
That said, the public transport from the central train station is easy enough and pleasant to travel on. If you have the Innsbruck Pass I believe it is included. But a snowHead calledclarky99 will be able to give you the best advice as he lives in Innsbruck and regularly skis both Stubai and St. Anton.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Markymark29, thanks for suggestion to take train. It does look to be simpler and safer. My flight arrival time doesn't fit very well - 5:30pm landing and may miss the last train around 7pm from Munich to Innsbruck. Taking train next day would work too but will plan for early leave or half day ski, right? I also looked whether the airport shuttle works. There seems to be a shuttle from Munich airport to Igls resort. Try to find the best way to arrive Innsbruck on the arrival day. Thanks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue, thank you so much for the information. Thus either way should work fine. I am relieved on Stubai side then. Thanks again.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy