Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone used Maprika app to map/locate mates on-piste?

Poster: A snowHead
We're off to La Plagne in just over two weeks, and I had the grand idea of keeping my iPhone switched to use Maprika to map my route and keep skiing data as well as using it to locate others in our group.

As we haven't had a chance to test it out, we'll have to just hope for the best when we're on piste.

Has anyone else had experience using Maprika this season? Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not in resort, but I have it on my and my kids' phones and (as long as they have their phones on) it's pretty good at home.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, I haven't really had it on for more than 10 minutes at a time, it does sup the battery on an iPhone 4S farily quickly. I guess I'll have to tread carefully as my kids will be in nursery and ski-school and might need to receive calls too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Doesn't Maprika requrie data to be switched on during use to work with the whole find your mates thing?
Thats an awfully pricey option on most tariffs...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Doesn't Maprika requrie data to be switched on during use to work with the whole find your mates thing?
Thats an awfully pricey option on most tariffs...

Don't think so - the maps are downloaded to your phone.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have the La Plagne one downloaded from openpistemap, which is probably going to be better than the recent problematic iOS maps.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andy from embsay, yeah but to communicate back your position and your friends positions...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richard_Sideways wrote:
andy from embsay, yeah but to communicate back your position and your friends positions...

Any app would need either that or wifi though, wouldn't it? You can turn off 3G and still use it to see where you are, but for locating other people you need data of some description. I've bought a French SIM card for our phones, which comes with 5GB data.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, I used it round PDS last year, about 4 of us had it. It's works well if you're not familiar with an area as a locator, and find a friend also works well. I didn't have it on all the time, just when required, which wasn't very often. Good as a free app, but didn't use it often enough to pay for it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski Tracks is awesome for route mapping and keeping your ski data. Doesn't need data turned on so no huge bill. Didn;t hammer my battery on a 4 either too badly.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been using Ski Tracks for the last few years, it is great with a GoogleEarth overlay when you get back to your PC so look at your route in 3d. Not happy I only clocked 50 odd mph as my maximum speed though.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
3G off, and Wifi only may kind of work in a few resorts. A few key restaurants and lift stations are all on the same free WiFi in places like Dolomites, so the Live tracking part of these apps would work as you pass thru (although not really that "live"). I suspect that the infrastructure is there mainly because they want to push their own tracking apps.

Either way, I suspect the battery won't last all that long, and I'd prefer to keep mine for emergency calls, texting etc. GPS tracking is something I'll do with a Garmin instead, which I can then upload to whichever service I feel like later.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have the old-fashioned back up of PMR radios too, but with one of them FUBAR, I thought we'd join the digital era.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I used snow tracks all day last year several times and never ran out of juice with a 4S - but agreed I'll probably teach the kids to turn their 3G on if they get lost!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nothing beats an old-school agreed rendevouz point for when batteries go dead/no service/phone dropped off lift.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Nothing beats an old-school agreed rendevouz point for when batteries go dead/no service/phone dropped off lift.

Oh they'll have that too - and Dad's mobile number in their pocket!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy