Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgul with family pre-Xmas 2012.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Very brief report.

What/where- Family trip to Obergurgul with Esprit.

Who- Me, MrsEd, Kids aged 11, 8 and 3.

How; Me- telemarking, MrsEd and others- alpine.

Snow- fantastic- lots of it, cold, squeeky lovely stuff, new snow most days- but just a few inches. HIGH- village at 1970m or so top around 3000m.

Lifts- no queues, long, good vertical- 700m or so about normal.

Pistes- not a vast area (just over 100km), pistes good, well groomed, but not that well marked. Piste bashers working during the day. Grading a little odd- some blues with quite steep pitches in them, some blacks quite flat, no on piste moguls of note. Some utter gems. Red down to Pill from Hochgurgul a delight. Black from Top Mountain Star restaurant quite steep if taken on left. Far left red at Hochgurgle a delightful, (but not very red at all) skip through knee deep powder- followed by The T-bar of Doom (which is well worth it). Almost all skiing is in very good chunks of vertical- can very easily ski 700m vertical with one lift, and over 1000m is also simple with just 2 fast and near empty lifts.

Off piste- we did a little- between and to the side of runs. Very easily accessed great snow, soft bumps, some good runs of powder. Trees under Steinmannbahn (far right of ski area) very good. Some nice bits between the pistes in Hochgurgul. All done with 8 and 11 year old- some great turns, 11 year old much faster, straighter off piste than I can tele on anything other than a meadow. We took note of the wind and new snow.

Unpisted ski routes- Route 2 from Hohe Mut Alm excellent- (really quite) steep, direct, great snow, under lift no route finding problems- Ed Junr and I did it in a bit of a hoolie and waited for a passing German couple as we didn't want to be on it alone.

Eating on the mountain- a revelation. Family of 4 can eat and drink for about €50-5 (sometimes including 10% tip) and end up with more food than they know what to do with. Service- blisteringly fast (actually some of the fastest service I have ever had anywhere ever- including MaccieD's) friendly. Soup about €4-5, main course €9-13, small beer €3, kids meal €8ish. We found that 3 adult meals were more than enough for the 4 of us.

Chalet- OK, very, very, very large room. Clean, plenty of hot water. Food/wine not as good as usual. Communal areas small. Staff helpful and friendly.

Childcare- only the 3 year old used this during the day- it was, as usual fantastic. He was the only one in his age group so had a nanny to himself in the morning (she was very friendly, kind and they got on splendidly) then a snow ranger (aslo very friendly and caring) and a ski instructor for the afternoons. Some afternoons he also had the childcare manager. He was a bit ill- chesty, hot coughing (as we all are now). They were fine- he had calpol and a sleep etc if necessary. He skied.

Transfer / Flights- Innsbruck airport very good- much better than say Chambray. Bakery with great cakes. Bus about 1.5hrs.

Village- not as quaint as I'd hoped. Small, some nice places to eat. Gear shops limited.

Lift passes- free for 8 year old, otherwise very expensive.€239 adult 6 day pass, €129 for the 11 year old. We also paid a suppliment for Solden but didn't use this (youngest child a bit ill so didn't want to be far away).

Would we return? Yes but probably not to the chalet we went to. Would like to try one of the very swanky hotels. We all had a really great time and did huge amounts of skiing with the kids (3050- 6600m vertical per day- which is shed loads for an 8 or 11 year old).

Toboggan run- 2km of fun but possibly by far the most dangerous thing I did on snow in 2012!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We avoided the tobaggon last year - it caused all of the injuries in the chalet that week.

Know what you mean about the swanky hotels and the great prices though
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

by far the most dangerous thing I did on snow in 2012!

Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy