Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BBR good price?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm currently using a pair of Fischer Cool Heat skis which were given to me as a gift in 2008. Today I saw a pair of Salmon BBR 7.9's for £200, I thought this was a pretty good price - am I correct? Secondly, how much would a pair of good bindings cost?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nick-o, Take the £200 and let them keep the BBR 's wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nick-o wrote:
Secondly, how much would a pair of good bindings cost?

Well, the answer is of course, "it depends" wink

Lots of folk enthuse about Look Pivots, but they might set you back a good £200 or more. Something like the Tyrolia Peak 12 is a perfectly reasonable binding, an you can pick up a Storm-branded version of that on ebay for £60-£70. In between is the Salomon STH Driver... Snowinn are doing an Atomic-branded version of that for £125.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nick-o, Have you tried the BBRs? I know loads of people love them and so this may be just me and the fact I have only got to try them indoors (Tamworth and Castleford so I did give them a second chance) but in testing skis recently I found them to be the dullest of the lot!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Nick-o, Take the £200 and let them keep the BBR 's

Each to their own but these were the worst modern ski I've tried.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Seen exactly none in the past couple of weeks' skiing. Suggests to me Salomon have jumped the shark with these.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BBR seem to be the 'Marmite' of skis
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are a lot fewer around than last season, when you could hardly move for them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
WAs speaking with a guy in one of the Ischgl ski shops before christmas. He really rates them, but amits that they don't work for everyone. He said i could try a pair for a cuple of days at no cost if I was thinking of new skis, I guess they are proving a harder conversion than initally thought.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Infact if you want a pair of Kastle MX go to intersport Brandle in Ischgl, bloody good pricicng.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmmm. 'As if by magic' a link appears from Admin.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mr Piehole, exactly. Last year, I went skiing three weeks to three different resorts. All the ski shops had them in stock as the next big thing, this is what struck me when I saw the price. Having not tried them I was taking what others were saying last year.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nick-o wrote:
Mr Piehole, Having not tried them I was taking what others were saying last year.

In which case I really do suggest finding a pair to try before handing over the cash! It really is a ski you will love to bits or absolutely hate!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, just to add to the debate, WOW......

Tried some (8.9) today in Val D'isere, I absolutely loved them, snow conditions - piste absolutely great, off piste tracked and hard, but omg they were brilliant on anything.

My level, well i suppose early adv, i can ski pretty much anything (not perfect style admittedly), but trying to forge my carving skills last couple of years, and doing a little off piste.

I was a bit wary of all the negative press, but needed to get it out of my system, and so glad i did, really looking forward to tomorrow.

Shout me down if you like but I guess everyone to their own, but these did everything i asked, in fact i would go as far as to say that they knew what i wanted to do before i did !!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Very very responsive on piste, yes you have to work a little, but nowhere near as much as some all mountain skis, they carved beautifully (at my early proper carving level), and shot through all sorts of mess off piste..

I for one can't see much wrong with them, but i guess thats the beauty, love or hate, all good.

My OH is a decent inter and tried the ladies version, (slightly detuned the guy said), and also loved them, so for me theyre a great ski for good inter upwards.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I tried a hire pair of 8.9's in Morzine last year and ended up buying them (nearly new, and price seemed reasonable) after really enjoying. I then used them for a week in Tignes at half term including an intro to off piste and found them superb.

I've skied about 6 - 7 weeks and am a big bloke (6'4" and 18 stone) and they just seemed to match my size / skiing ability / style (lack of). For someone in my position of 1 or 2 trips a year they do seem to offer a good all round ski no matter what snow conditions you end up with. Can't wait to get them out later this year!!
latest report
I've got some 10.0s in the kitchen. Trying to decide which bindings to mount and then they'll be coming out with me in March Wink
ski holidays
Ryan_w, Thought you said you bought some cool ones rolling eyes I've seen more exciting P-Tex repairs.
snow conditions
I posted this earlier on another thread but I'll post it again here as it is relevant.

OK, having tested the BBR's recently in Mayrhofen I can say that on Piste they are awesome. They are great on the steeps with short turns, carve really well on the groomers and cut through the crud well too. Just a little point and it is a little point, they are not quite so good on the Ice as my Atomics are.

Off piste not really had much chance as the day we went it had warmed up and there was that, freeze, thaw, freeze situation, it was hard work as the capillary action of the water under the ski severely slowed things down and made turns very difficult. in fact by mid afternoon if you tried a turn you just stopped, so we knocked it on the head. Should have gone the day before but although it was snowing, the Viz was dire and very flat.......

I found a patch of nice powder the day before but it was only a small patch and only got in 4 linked turns which seemed fine and they float well; this was on our way back across the mountain at the end of the day and we were pushing it to get back for the last gondola, otherwise I might have gone back up the T bar for another go.

All in all a good result so far and I am pleased with them. I'm certainly looking forward to trying them out in the light fluffy stuff at Sunshine and Lake Louise in 4 weeks time. Happy

Andy. Smile
snow report
In Banff on the Un-groomed runs they were excellent, cut through the chopped up Pow effortlessly and in the Pow they floated and turned well too. I got to say a really great all mountain ski for me and thoroughly recommend them. If anyone is still sceptical, go try them out first. The guy who did my ski service at Decathlon in Belfast initially trialled a pair for 2 days in France and ended up keeping them all week and is looking to buy a set now, just right too Happy

There were a lot of similar views when the first Carvers came out, this is just history repeating itself wink
latest report
AJQ, just don't let Decathlon grind them every service (which they usually do rolling eyes)
ski holidays
No! Absolutely not!!! They have been well instructed not too. Unless there is serious damage, which there shouldn't be and I would notice anyway. Generally I get the edges done every 4 years. I currently ony do 2 trips a year though Sad
ski holidays
I hired a pair last year, loved them, bought them this year. I ski a lot in North America and they are great on un groomed, but eqally as good in Wengen on piste. I am a good intermediate, small female. Have recommended them to my 6ft 4, 18 stone friend and he is equally as taken with them. Marmite skis is probably the best description- you either love them or loathe them! I ski about 35 to 40 days per year.
snow conditions
I've skiied the 8.9 and the 7.9, in 165 and 159 respectively. I'm 5'4 and not very heavy. The 8.9's last year weren't much fun, too heavy and I had to work them too hard. They also had Salomon z12 speeds on them, on an easy adjust track, which were very heavy. I sold them and got the 7.9's this year with a lighter z10ti binding bolted straight onto the ski, and I love them. Skiied them in lots of fresh snow at Christmas, and they floated nicely, and then skiied hard pistes at half term, and they carve really well too. If you want one ski that can do lots, they're great. However, I am a pretty good skier, and my other pair of skis is a detuned Salomon s-lab 3v - we took the plate off the top to reduce the stiffness but keep the torsional rigidity. On piste carving these have much more edge grip and responsiveness than the BBR. The BBR can seem a bit floppy, doesn't hold an edge quite as well, and isn't as lively out of the turns. But then, I'd never have taken the 3V anywhere near the off piste stuff at Christmas...
My daughter also has a pair and loves them too.
snow conditions
Philbo wrote:
Quote:

Nick-o, Take the £200 and let them keep the BBR 's

Each to their own but these were the worst modern ski I've tried.

Don't pay any attention to Philbo, he's just a bitter ex-Salomon employee.
latest report
I think this thread probably demonstrates their niche: previously fairly conservative skiers looking for something to widen their ski experience, average user probably hasn't skied or demoed lots of progressive ski designs or wider skis nor is at the high performance end of the usage spectrum.

Who they aren't for: traditionalists, strongest technical skiers and those who've already done lots of "experimentation" with modern ski shapes.

To me there isn't the slightest thing novel about the design concept (other than a mass market brand getting behind it) and the unambitious widths make it clear who the target demographic really is. So in the nicest possible way at best a moden day B2 for those who like to think a bit outside the box. Nothing wrong with that, but I can see why they polarise opinion (& I continue to be baffled byhow genuinely Snoworks believe in them over other all mountain alternatives or whether their opinion is based heavily on their typical punter)
snow conditions
Last year Snow and Rock suggested them for my daughter for her BASI L1 Shocked We didn't take them up on it.
snow conditions
fatbob, +1, there are many better skis for the same purpose out there (some even made by Salomon too!), but the target market don't know about them as they haven't been pimped out so much by the marketing team.
snow conditions
I would have liked to see the trainers face if she turned up on a pair of BBRs Its embarrassing but I used to ski on Salomons and ski in France before I knew better wink. Only when I tried austrian skis and started servicing skis did I realise what rubbish they were. I will not even given them away to friends because they are so poor in comparion. To be fair I understand that they are much improved since they were taken over by the owners of Atomic and I rate salomon for boots
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TTT, Yes she got these instead

ski holidays
Don't know those as they dont sponsor my favourite racers. They are certainly from the best region in the world and look like what my instructor would call a proper pair of skis. Not tried the BBRs to be honest but am skeptical as if they were the way forward I'm sure the other manufacturers would have jumped on the bandwagon as has happened with rockers. Absolutely nothing wrong with wider skis and rocker skis if they are used where nature intended but the standard holiday skiers would be best served by "proper" skis and lessons. I was once told not to bother to turn up for lessons again without "proper" skis. A game changing moment.
snow conditions
TTT, They do a job - retain a relatively narrow waisted and tight sidecut ski for hardpack control and turanability with a big nose for planing in softer stuff or punching through variable. Icelantic Shaman was a pre rocker concept that did the same thing to a high standard in a (IMO) high quality ski but that's a bit of a love it or hate it ski too.

Lots of other skis on the market have big noses just without the extreme shark point but probably are a bit wider in girth therefore targetted at a user onto his/her second or third wider ski.

The problem with the "proper" ski orthodoxy is that it doesn't allow people the full spectrum of learning by feel. It's a response to beginners rocking up on "freeride" or twin tip skis because they are cool and is therefore necessary but it also closes peoples' minds as to the fact that once you get to the right point in your development you can indeed "buy a turn".

Hopefully this triggers a bit of a fight wink
latest report
TTT wrote:
I was once told not to bother to turn up for lessons again without "proper" skis.

Me too, but my instructor was talking about something made by Line with 120mm underfoot wink Cool
ski holidays
She has got these as well Very Happy

snow conditions
You can't expect to ski on a pair of plastic french punter skis without taking some grief but to be honest if you enjoy them who cares. Now fat rockers that is another matter. Proper powder and I'm looking envious on my all mountain skis. Back on piste and the fat rockers are clearly stuggling to perform. 80mm for mostly on piste and a bit on the side is the most that a holiday punter should be looking at if they are going to learn to use those things on the side of their skis as they are intended.
ski holidays
Surely real men ski everything on a pair of race department GS skis
ski holidays
TTT, you've spent too much time in Austria
latest report
Arno wrote:
TTT, you've spent too much time in Austria

Or with under a new name!!
latest report
Quote:

I was once told not to bother to turn up for lessons again without "proper" skis.

Ahhh instruction, personal expression snuffed out by narrow mindedness.
snow report
The Blizzards made a big, big difference to her skiing, they're their most advanced stiff womens (non race) piste skis, after a few years on wider, softer skis.
ski holidays
...but for mere mortals I'm thinking 72mm piste and then just possibly could be persuaded to 90 or even 95 when led astray by strange types. Otherwise I think every punter who spends most of their time on piste should be encouraged to ski on ridiculous fat rockers because they are great fun to watch unless they are actually trying to ski. As for 120 that sounds too close to crossing the dark side to boarding. Although, that does remind me I did quite like the graphic on a bottom of a board this season - "Skiers - come across to the dark side - we have beers and women"
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy